SportsWrath

Perry Fewell: Greatest Defensive Coordinator in the NFL Today

Tempest

Fewell should take notice that the Redskins beat the Cowboys by bringing pressure and a lot of it. In fact, I saw the Skins bring 8, successfully, pre-injury. They also nearly forced 2 turnovers on a couple of those blitzes.

Did they give up some big plays on those blitzes? Yep. So did we only rushing 3 or 4.

You guys were all over it, I hope Perry Fewell was watching it too. How many of us have been all over Tony Romo for being suspect under pressure? It seems like Fewell was the last to get the memo.

Man, what a great job by the Redskins coaching staff too. Not only were they dialing up the blitzes, they were creative too, like right out of a video game.So much fun to watch.

Its a double-edged sword.

On one hand, Fewell is expecting more out of his front 4 pass-rush wise.

On the other, he does send the occasional blitz... and literally every blitzer is stonewalled, EVERY time. When was the last time you saw Demps or McClain actually SHED a block and apply pressure? JaQuain Williams? GIve me a fucking break.

I sort of can't blame him for relying on coverage when your LBs and safeties can't get past the 3rd down scatbacks of the league. Yeah, his schemes suck, but so do the players.

You guys were all over it, I hope Perry Fewell was watching it too. How many of us have been all over Tony Romo for being suspect under pressure? It seems like Fewell was the last to get the memo.

Man, what a great job by the Redskins coaching staff too. Not only were they dialing up the blitzes, they were creative too, like right out of a video game.So much fun to watch.

I think that goes for almost every QB... shit I wouldn't be surprised of that's what the Eagles thought of Manning... and don't even get me started about Romo's spin move... I just think our DC and in part our Defense isn't too disciplined and never bothered to A. Study film and B. Game plan.

Like Seph said. Yeah we'd like Fewell to blitz more, but with who?

I refuse to believe we just don't have people who can... I think this takes practice.. last I checked everyone of those guys are athletes.. and if the Eagles can look like they're running track on us, you better believe we have people who can run... Fewel blitzes one and goes awwww shucks when it doesn't work out...shit just take notes from the redskins....

You can make all kinds of excuses of why not to do it, but you have to try. And we've seen again this year how the 3man rush has failed on 3rd and long yet PF continues to do it. You have to try, and then try again. Because the one time you get home it could be a pick six or strip sack.

quote name="Nas" post="870266" timestamp="1414503237"]

I refuse to believe we just don't have people who can... I think this takes practice.. last I checked everyone of those guys are athletes.. and if the Eagles can look like they're running track on us, you better believe we have people who can run... Fewel blitzes one and goes awwww shucks when it doesn't work out...shit just take notes from the redskins....

Joe made mention of Moore who at A&M was used in a creative pass rushing role. I am with you on Fewell being vanilla, but I think the talent level is also lacking at spots on D

quote name="Nas" post="870266" timestamp="1414503237"]

Joe made mention of Moore who at A&M was used in a creative pass rushing role. I am with you on Fewell being vanilla, but I think the talent level is also lacking at spots on D

Every team has weaknesses... good coordinators do a good job at masking those and utilizing their strengths... we used to go crazy at the fucking prevent defense because it always bit us in the ass now we have a zombie at DC who lacks creativity and hasn't developed into anything other than his mediocre self.

I think that goes for almost every QB... shit I wouldn't be surprised of that's what the Eagles thought of Manning... and don't even get me started about Romo's spin move... I just think our DC and in part our Defense isn't too disciplined and never bothered to A. Study film and B. Game plan.

Somewhat true, sure, there isn't a QB in the league that I wouldn't try to rush... but Romo is especially bad under pressure. Sometimes he'll pull something out of his ass, like that spin move (study film D!.... he almost always spins out instead of stepping up, so aim for his back shoulder), but did you see him late in the game yesterday? The blitz just kept coming and it totally got in his head - by the end, he was hallucinating unblocked pass rushers. I have NEVER seen that happen to Eli or any of the truly elite QBs.

Somewhat true, sure, there isn't a QB in the league that I wouldn't try to rush... but Romo is especially bad under pressure. Sometimes he'll pull something out of his ass, like that spin move (study film D!.... he almost always spins out instead of stepping up, so aim for his back shoulder), but did you see him late in the game yesterday? The blitz just kept coming and it totally got in his head - by the end, he was hallucinating unblocked pass rushers. I have NEVER seen that happen to Eli or any of the truly elite QBs.

The Eagles got into Eli's head early too.. granted they got to him almost every time too. I don't see much difference between Romo and Eli they're both great QBs and like any QB need protection.

Its a double-edged sword.

On one hand, Fewell is expecting more out of his front 4 pass-rush wise.

On the other, he does send the occasional blitz... and literally every blitzer is stonewalled, EVERY time. When was the last time you saw Demps or McClain actually SHED a block and apply pressure? JaQuain Williams? GIve me a fucking break.

I sort of can't blame him for relying on coverage when your LBs and safeties can't get past the 3rd down scatbacks of the league. Yeah, his schemes suck, but so do the players.

This... I want to cry in frustration... I know these guys are not LT who they had to switch from using backs and TE's to block him to using Tackles... but come on... you are a linebacker and you can't shed the back... then you should not be playing NFL level football...

This... I want to cry in frustration... I know these guys are not LT who they had to switch from using backs and TE's to block him to using Tackles... but come on... you are a linebacker and you can't shed the back... then you should not be playing NFL level football...

We used to sing Bradshaws praises for stonewalling a blitzer.. for that I can't be made if our blitzers are stonewalled... the ideal of a blitz goes beyond simply sending a player who wasn't meant to rush the passer... it has a lot to do with timing, deception, and most importantly overwhelming the opposing team with at least one more player who goes unblocked.. which means the QB will have just one second to get rid of the ball... looking at our blitzes they were pedestrian... made by an unimaginative dumb ass who has no clue wtf he's doing... and it seems every time the offense knew they were coming and who was blitzing.

The Eagles got into Eli's head early too.. granted they got to him almost every time too. I don't see much difference between Romo and Eli they're both great QBs and like any QB need protection.

Eh, I didn't see it that way... but they sure were getting home, and that definitely changed what they could try on offense.

I see a lot of difference between Romo and Eli... Romo is flash, Eli is dependability. Very different playing styles.

And his blitz packages have sucked. He thinks the only kind of blitz is rushing 5.

We used to sing Bradshaws praises for stonewalling a blitzer.. for that I can't be made if our blitzers are stonewalled... the ideal of a blitz goes beyond simply sending a player who wasn't meant to rush the passer... it has a lot to do with timing, deception, and most importantly overwhelming the opposing team with at least one more player who goes unblocked.. which means the QB will have just one second to get rid of the ball... looking at our blitzes they were pedestrian... made by an unimaginative dumb ass who has no clue wtf he's doing... and it seems every time the offense knew they were coming and who was blitzing.

These are really good points.

When was the last time you saw Fewell send a corner on a blitz? Have you ever seen a delay blitz from him?

Hell, have you ever seen the linemen stunt?

When was the last time you saw Fewell send a corner on a blitz? Have you ever seen a delay blitz from him?

Not recently, which I don't get because they've run similar concepts by using linebackers to pick an offensive lineman. IMO its is a nice wrinkle, but a lower percentage play than just sending a linebacker on a blitz or stunting the down lineman.

I think the last delayed blitz I saw from the Giants was when Kawika blitzed Brady in the Super Bowl.

I find this all entertaining. Yes if Perry Fewell blitzed more the defense would be better!

Our linebackers are simply not very good blitzers. We're depleted at CB & Safety because of injuries and you think taking one of them out of coverage is a good idea?

We just don't have a lot of good options on defense with injuries at this point. The run defense needs to get better and tackling in the secondary must improve. Stevie Brown and Jayron Hosley need to step up.

I find this all entertaining. Yes if Perry Fewell blitzed more the defense would be better!

Our linebackers are simply not very good blitzers. We're depleted at CB & Safety because of injuries and you think taking one of them out of coverage is a good idea?

We just don't have a lot of good options on defense with injuries at this point. The run defense needs to get better and tackling in the secondary must improve. Stevie Brown and Jayron Hosley need to step up.

I'm not throwing in the towel... An nfl caliber player better know how to execute a blitz. It's not rocket science. The problem is our coaches much like a screen play on the offense seem unable to coach them.

'More blitzing' is a facile solution. I think its more about manufacturing pressure by using scheme to penetrate the quarterback's protection. I saw what happened on Monday night, and our linebackers may suck, but so do Washington's.

I disagree.

I think of what Spags used to do with respect to blitzing, and Fewell, and it's not even close. Like the Redskins the other night, Spags used to bring blitzes from all different angles, and combinations....sometimes he would fake like he's bringing the house, at other times the reverse.

Like Nas mentioned above, it's often a matter of timing and deception.

Clearly, it worked against Romo.....from a Redskin defense that Manning obliterated just a few weeks prior. I'll give the Redskins credit, in that their corners stepped up and played huge......but I think when a defense is flying around, getting pressure, etc., it amps everyone up.