SportsWrath

Giants draft fallout....who should be nervous?

JMFP

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/05/giants_draft_fallout_who_should_be_nervous_for_their_job.html

There was barely time for the realization to sink in that the Giants added seven new players when the veterans returned to work Monday. The rookies were already arriving at the facility, and the competition for spots had already begun.

Every Giants player was trying to impress. While some may have roster spots, only a select few are guaranteed playing time. Competition is always fierce in this business, but it should be unusually cutthroat with so many new players, a new offensive coordinator, and a new system being put in place this year.

For some, the pressure is already on. They know the deal. They saw who the Giants drafted and are aware the positions they play. Even though just several days have passed, they see the new guy breathing down their neck. They know their job is on the line.

These six players in particular should keep their eyes open. Their spots on the roster or projected roles are especially tenuous after the Giants' recent additions.

WRs Jerrel Jernigan/Rueben Randle -- Neither Jernigan nor Randle are likely to be flat-out released. But they will most certainly be fighting for playing time in the offseason program and training camp. The Giants didn't draft wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. 12th overall to sit on the bench. They already think he's a pretty good player. So with Victor Cruz and Beckham entrenched as every-down players, it's likely a battle between Randle and Jernigan (and maybe Mario Manningham, if he's healthy) for the third wide receiver spot, with Randle the expected frontrunner because of his size and ability to play on the outside. No way Jernigan can rest on the final three weeks of last season facing this much competition.

S Will Hill -- The troubled safety was already in serious jeopardy of being dumped as he faces yet another suspension. Now, at least, the Giants have more than enough depth to make it happen without recourse after adding Nat Berhe to a group that includes Antrel Rolle, Stevie Brown, Quintin Demps and Cooper Taylor. Right now, Hill looks like a goner, or at least someone who won't be a contributor this season.

RB Peyton Hillis -- The Giants signed 231-pound Rashad Jennings to be their feature back this offseason. They drafted 230-pound running back Andre Williams in the fourth round. How many big backs can you have on one roster? It doesn't look good for Hillis, who signed a one-year contract this offseason that included very little guaranteed money.

DT Markus Kuhn -- It's make-or-break time for the seventh-round pick in 2012. Kuhn's played sparingly in his two seasons with the Giants (five tackles) and now has third-round pick Jay Bromley guaranteed a spot in front of him. And that's before even mentioning the undrafted free agent signing of talented South Carolina defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles. There's going to be a lot of competition at the position between Kuhn, veteran Mike Patterson and Quarles, with Cullen Jenkins, Johnathan Hankins and Bromley all but guaranteed rosters spots.

LB Mark Herzlich -- He's a great story (five years removed and still cancer free!) and a really good special teams player. But if Herzlich falls behind fifth-round draft pick Devon Kennard on the depth chart and isn't the backup middle or strongside linebacker, can the Giants really afford to keep him in the roster? My guess is, no.

Eh, Coughlin has been clear about one thing since he started here. Players are competing against everyone on the team and every player in the league and this year is no exception. Just about everyone listed above was potentially on the list last season as well.

Going to see some great competition at WR and RB this year and I'm definitely pulling for Peyton Hillis. Not the fastest guy but he stays on his feet and seems to get an extra couple yards.

I like Hillis.. the dude played tough and ran hard...

Yeah, but I have doubts about whether he could last a full season.

I would certainly add David Wilson to this list though...with the rookie and Jennings in the fold.

Sounds about right. I do think Herzlich is on the roster though.

I think it will depend....if Kennard has a strong camp, he might push someone out the door.

I don't think Paysinger or Williams have nailed anything down either. From what I understand, Kennard can play all three spots.

I think Curtis Painter should be a little nervous and shouldn't buy a house right now. You know they aren't going to cut Nassib. He's being groomed for long term. So it's between him and Freeman.

BTW, did it raise anyone's eyebrows when New England drafted a QB in the second round? I had to do a double take. Just goes to show, good teams with good QB's still think about the future. In our case, Painter is not the future.

If Painter is ready in time for training camp, should be interesting.

I think Curtis Painter should be a little nervous and shouldn't buy a house right now. You know they aren't going to cut Nassib. He's being groomed for long term. So it's between him and Freeman.

BTW, did it raise anyone's eyebrows when New England drafted a QB in the second round? I had to do a double take. Just goes to show, good teams with good QB's still think about the future. In our case, Painter is not the future.

It made sense for NE to draft a QB... How many years does their QB have left? Besides... didn't they make a killing from trading Cassel?

It made sense for NE to draft a QB... How many years does their QB have left? Besides... didn't they make a killing from trading Cassel?

They might have, but they also still have Ryan Mallett backing up Brady for the past couple years.

Also James Brewer, Dallas Reynolds, unless you guys are assuming these two are no-brainers.

Mosely had better start showing something as well, if he wants to stand a chance.

Good points, and agreed.

Yeah, but I have doubts about whether he could last a full season.

I would certainly add David Wilson to this list though...with the rookie and Jennings in the fold.

Well, he needs to get it going.....yes the injury, but he's looking to be another bust.

Well, he needs to get it going.....yes the injury, but he's looking to be another bust.

I think the new system potentially could be a better fit for David Wilson. Wilson can play at the NFL level if he can stay healthy of this I'm certain.

I think the new system potentially could be a better fit for David Wilson. Wilson can play at the NFL level if he can stay healthy of this I'm certain.

Man, I hope so.

but I just get that feeling about him, it's always something and TC isn't much on him also.

Man, I hope so.

but I just get that feeling about him, it's always something and TC isn't much on him also.

Seemed to me that Gibride didn't have much use for Wilson. I think that will change under McAdoo. In fact, an up-tempo attack favors someone with Wilson's wheels.

Seemed to me that Gibride didn't have much use for Wilson. I think that will change under McAdoo. In fact, an up-tempo attack favors someone with Wilson's wheels.

Agreed

I amost find that hard to believe, NY always plays the people who can play. If Gilbride was holding him back, that would be BS. It's safe to say that if Wilson doesn't get his game going this year, then he may never.

I amost find that hard to believe, NY always plays the people who can play. If Gilbride was holding him back, that would be BS. It's safe to say that if Wilson doesn't get his game going this year, then he may never.

Which is why I brought his name into the conversation. He's got the ability, he could flourish, but health is an overwhelming equalizer that will knock the best of the best down to the same level as the majority.

Change of system, hard to say if it will be good or bad for Wilson. Wilson simply needs to be on the field first.