SportsWrath

Giants draft fallout....who should be nervous?

JMFP

Looking back at the draft where we drafted Wilson in the 1st... it's safe to say drafting a RB in the 1st round is fucking stupid 99% of the time.

Especially in today's watered-down, pussified, pass-happy, let's score 50 points every week, NFL.

Looking back at the draft where we drafted Wilson in the 1st... it's safe to say drafting a RB in the 1st round is fucking stupid 99% of the time.

It's turned into that thanks to the kind of offenses that are now being used. But don't underestimate a good running game. It is crucial to clock management and if the running game is clicking, it opens up the air game.

But I've been saying for years that RB is a plug-n-play position and requires an offensive line built around the running game. And the shelf life of a RB is really short these days so I agree....what a waste to burn a first round pick on a RB.

I have high hopes for this kid we drafted. A real workhorse who seems to be able to stay injury free thanks to his unusually thick legs and body. The analysts commenting on draft day kept saying he's the epitome of "4 yards and a cloud of dust". I hope he is finally the answer to our red zone problems. And I hate TC calling it the green zone as if that makes it easier to get to the goal line. It's the fucking red zone and we suck at it.

Looking back at the draft whereally we drafted Wilson in the 1st... it's safe to say drafting a RB in the 1st round is fucking stupid 99% of the time.

There were 3 taken in 2012 first round. RB are dropping because teams are waiting it out. After Sankey was taken 2 more were drafted immediately. The draft is a very knee jerk affair.

There were 3 taken in 2012 first round. RB are dropping because teams are waiting it out. After Sankey was taken 2 more were drafted immediately. The draft is a very knee jerk affair.

Agree 100%. Teams are incredibly leery of other teams and always trying to second guess what they're going to do. That's why there was a run on defensive backs this year. Once teams see who's going off the board, they feel they must get their guy at that position and it has a domino effect...hence, the infamous "runs" we see every year. The RB's in this year's class are every bit as good as they were in the last few years...perhaps better. But with teams second guessing other teams and making sure they got a decent CB or WR or QB, RB's fell by the wayside. And the second one was taken, it was like the gun shot at the beginning of a foot race to get a RB.

or maybe this years draft class, scouts didn't see any first round talent at running back.

I'm sure that was part of it, but I think a larger part is that teams don't feature just 1 RB any more...usually 2 or 3. And because it now takes multiple players to field one position, and that one position isn't as much a part of the offense as it once was...it devalues the position, not just the players who fill it.

You can talk about how Wilson was a 1st rounder, keep in mind he was the last pick in the first round though. As the 32nd overall pick, he was a good pick there, certainly not a waste. Everything is relative to the actual spot the player is taken.

Further, Wilson showed enough flash and big play ability in his rookie season, despite a couple of missteps, to warrant excitement should he be healthy this year. We need to remember that Wilson lost all of last year... So 2014 will basically be his sophomore season, and no one should hold it against him that he has spinal stenosis. I'm rooting for him big time and by no means am I worried about his ability if the health is there. He can add a ton to our offense.

Agree 100%. Teams are incredibly leery of other teams and always trying to second guess what they're going to do. That's why there was a run on defensive backs this year. Once teams see who's going off the board, they feel they must get their guy at that position and it has a domino effect...hence, the infamous "runs" we see every year. The RB's in this year's class are every bit as good as they were in the last few years...perhaps better. But with teams second guessing other teams and making sure they got a decent CB or WR or QB, RB's fell by the wayside. And the second one was taken, it was like the gun shot at the beginning of a foot race to get a RB.

Also since it seemed no team was going to sign a first round RB why waste the pick when all RBs will be in the second. As you stated since DBs and OLinemen go in the 1st round teams reach for them because you can't be certain if any quality will be available in later rounds. With RB you know they will be, for now anyway.

Yep, there was huge reaches at TE and OG, which dried up those positions.