SportsWrath

Giants sign Thurmond

Bigblue25

. Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 8m

"Giants and former Seahawks CB Walter Thurmond reached agreement on a one-year deal, per source."

I like it he will provide depth, but he's suspended the first four games of the year. So a one year deal is 12 games.

So the whole Rogers-Cromartie coming in today is a feint?

I would love to see us get R-C, but I just don't see it happening with the cap we have to work with. I don't know much about Thurmond, but if it's a one-year deal, he's not a long term plan.

and nevermind about the suspension, he served it last year for substance abuse policy. At least Will Hill will have a smoking buddy.

Will Hill has always had smoking buddy... well til Osi moved to Colorado that is.

Trying to dig up more information on this guy. Apparently he is more of a nickel-back and is excellent against slot receivers. Wonder if he can cover Whitten when we play the boys since no one else on the Giants seems to be able to.

From a Redskin's site:

Add another player to the Redskins’ list of free agent targets. The team on Friday will host Seattle cornerback Walter Thurmond for a visit.

A fifth-year pro out of Oregon, Thurmond served as Seattle’s nickel back last season, recording 33 tackles, an interception and a touchdown and forced fumble.

A fourth-round pick in 2010, the 5-foot-11, 190-pound Thurmond excels as a defender against slot receivers. The Redskins find themselves in need of such a player with Josh Wilson now a free agent.

Trying to dig up more information on this guy. Apparently he is more of a nickel-back and is excellent against slot receivers. Wonder if he can cover Whitten when we play the boys since no one else on the Giants seems to be able to.

From a Redskin's site:

Our problem wasn't that no one could cover Witten... shit I think anyone in decent shape under the age for 40 can... it's that our D just didn't care to cover him... Fewel had his head stuck up his ass. Witten the fastest nor the most athletic... on the contrary he's slow as shit.

From a Redskin's site:

Yeah, he was a good starter opposite Sherman. He lost the job due to his suspension and them came back, played well in nickel during Seattle's championship run. Browner is the Seattle CB that is still serving suspension and he signed with NE. We could still sign DRC and use Thurmond in the nickel, with McBride, James, Hosley and draft pick has depth.

Yeah, he was a good starter opposite Sherman. He lost the job due to his suspension and them came back, played well in nickel during Seattle's championship run. Browner is the Seattle CB that is still serving suspension and he signed with NE. We could still sign DRC and use Thurmond in the nickel, with McBride, James, Hosley and draft pick has depth.

Signing DRC would be a coup. I just can't see how the Giants could ever pull it off. He already turned down a six-year, $54 million contract from Denver so he's looking for huge bucks.

Thurmond is small (5'11" / 180 lbs) so I don't see him challenging Hosely and McBride as the CB opposite the Prince. From what I understand (and it's very little on Seattle's defensive backs) is that he's a younger, healthier version of Ross.....that's what some of the analysts are saying anyway. Hopefully, he's a good pickup that will strengthen the Giant's defensive backfield.

Signing DRC would be a coup. I just can't see how the Giants could ever pull it off. He already turned down a six-year, $54 million contract from Denver so he's looking for huge bucks.

Thurmond is small (5'11" / 180 lbs) so I don't see him challenging Hosely and McBride as the CB opposite the Prince. From what I understand (and it's very little on Seattle's defensive backs) is that he's a younger, healthier version of Ross.....that's what some of the analysts are saying anyway. Hopefully, he's a good pickup that will strengthen the Giant's defensive backfield.

I am not sure if he turned it down or if they decided they wanted Talib more.

From the StarLedger:

The Giants have reached a one-year agreement with former Seahawks defensive back Walter Thurmond, a person familiar with negotiations confirmed. The person requested anonymity in order to speak freely on the matter.

The deal was first reported by ESPN.

Thurmond, 26, a former fourth-round pick out of Oregon, was believed to be one of the best free agent cornerbacks on the market despite some risks. Thurmond missed most of the 2011-12 season with a broken leg and also missed four games in 2013 due to an NFL suspension. He has started just eight games in four seasons.

Still, his play in the slot was among the best in football and the Giants have a pressing vacancy there. Terrell Thomas is still on the open market and the team is looking for an upgrade.

The one-year deal should be a risk worth taking for a player that allowed just .85 yards per snap in the slot, which was fifth best among Nickel corners, according to Pro Football Focus.

The Giants are still slated to meet with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie as well, and could use it as an opportunity to create one of the stronger secondaries in the division.

With teams adapting to their pass rush-first style last season, the Giants seem to be evolving as well. The need for talented cover corners is a must, especially as quarterbacks snap-to-throw times continue to drop against the Giants.

I have confirmed a Pro Football Talk report that before the Broncos signed Aqib Talib to a six-year, $57 million contract, they offered their own Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie a six-year $54 million deal.

And it’s true, Rodgers-Cromartie turned it down. But before slamming Rodgers-Cromartie or his agent Eugene Parker, the six-year, $54 million proposal was not what it seemed. No NFL contract is what it seems.

First, Parker has long been considered one of the NFL’s premier agents. He has represented Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson. He currently represents Larry Fitzgerald and Jairus Byrd. Parker just got a six-year, $54 million deal done for Byrd with New Orleans. Parker knows six year, $54 million contracts.

Byrd’s six-year, $54 million deal was structured in such a way that he is all but guaranteed $27.9 million through three years. Rodgers-Cromartie’s six-year, $54 million proposal from the Broncos was essentially a one year, $10 million guarantee.

The Broncos’ contracts are very well structured. The team is more than fair, even generous, to the player in year one, but then the Broncos protect the team interests after that. This is smart, clean business by general manager John Elway and Broncos’ contract guru Mike Sullivan, the unsung star of the team’s recent free-agent haul of defensive standouts.

What we have come to know about Elway is he won’t hesitate to move on if he doesn’t feel negotiations are going well. This is a guy who sharpened his transaction acumen in the car business. Jared Allen found this out as the Broncos wound up signing DeMarcus Ware instead.

It also should be noted that included in the $10 million, first-year money to Rodgers-Cromartie was a $5 million signing bonus that would have carried future salary cap ramifications and made it extremely difficult for the Broncos to release the cornerback after the first year.

So Rodgers-Cromartie would have made $16 million after two years. And then it would have been $24 million over three years.

That’s the deal Rodgers-Cromartie turned down. The other $30 million over the final three years was essentially fluff.

Talib and strong safety T.J. Ward didn’t have a problem with the Broncos’ structure. Talib’s six-year, $57 million contract is really one year and $12 million, two years and $18 million and three years and $27 million. His final three years and $30 million are fluff.

At 5 p.m. Tuesday, Talib had never heard from the Broncos. By 9:15 p.m. Tuesday, they had the deal done.

Some people — most notably the coaches and personnel executives inside Dove Valley’s headquarters — would say Talib is a better player than Rodgers-Cromartie and is worth $2 million more in year one of the contract. The same people would also say if Rodgers-Cromartie is worth an average of $8 million per year after three seasons, then Talib is worth a $9 million average.

Rodgers-Cromartie, a uniquely gifted, long, tall cover corner, and his agent would beg to differ.

We’ll see what happens to Rodgers-Cromartie, but my guess is most teams have already spent the bulk of their budget. When it’s over, Rodgers-Cromartie may continue to receive criticism for not taking the Broncos’ offer.

And that’s fair. But it’s also fair to say he didn’t really turn down six years and $54 million. He rejected one year for $10 million, or two years for $16 million or three years for $24 million.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/03/14/blaming-drc-understand-facts/26687/

I am not sure if he turned it down or if they decided they wanted Talib more.

They withdrew the offer once they signed Talib according to the Denver Post. It probably puts DRC in a bit of a bind because that's likely the best offer he got and now he's just looking for a team. And I imagine he wants to go to a team with a shot at the SB, so some of the lesser teams that have cap space might not intrigue him. Seems to me that greed got the best of him by overplaying his hand with the Broncos. Maybe he'll settle for less money now that he bit the hand that fed him. I would still be very surprised if we signed him....and very excited if we did.

They withdrew the offer once they signed Talib according to the Denver Post. It probably puts DRC in a bit of a bind because that's likely the best offer he got and now he's just looking for a team. And I imagine he wants to go to a team with a shot at the SB, so some of the lesser teams that have cap space might not intrigue him. Seems to me that greed got the best of him by overplaying his hand with the Broncos. Maybe he'll settle for less money now that he bit the hand that fed him. I would still be very surprised if we signed him....and very excited if we did.

That's the good news is the market has thinned out.

I like this signing. The Giants need to get younger, more physical, and nastier. Thurmond is all three, at a decent one-year contract.

Agreed.

As for covering Jason Witten, Jesus Christ Nas...yes, our defense just didn't care to cover one of the best tight ends EVER. I often wonder if people here actually watch the games. Jason Witten is everything Shockey should have been and more.

Agreed.

As for covering Jason Witten, Jesus Christ Nas...yes, our defense just didn't care to cover one of the best tight ends EVER. I often wonder if people here actually watch the games. Jason Witten is everything Shockey should have been and more.

I don't know where he is getting this slow and unathletic stuff from. Ok, he is not a burner, but he knows how to find soft spots in a zone, he doesn't need to be a burner.

I don't know where he is getting this slow and unathletic stuff from. Ok, he is not a burner, but he knows how to find soft spots in a zone, he doesn't need to be a burner.

Exactly. What a moronic statement really. It's not like Witten just kills the Giants, the dude is a great player.