SportsWrath

Giants sign Thurmond

Bigblue25

Thurmond explained his decision to come to the Giants and I like it:

“I wanted to meet other teams and see what was out there,” Thurmond said. “Once I came here and met the coaching staff and heard the opportunities they presented to me, I couldn’t resist. It was a testament to the coaching staff. I got along with everybody, coach (Tom) Coughlin, the general manager (Jerry Reese), the DBs coaches – just great people out here.”

“Only 19 teams have won a Super Bowl,” Thurmond said. “To be a part of that group is a tremendous honor. The New York Giants have been able to do that four times in their history. When you do it once, you want to keep going back. I’m a competitor. I play the game to win championships. The Giants organization has a lot of prestige, a lot of history in that aspect of winning four Super Bowls. We want to bring another one here.”

“I’m all about competition,” Thurmond said. “I know they have a need here. I’m going to bring my work ethic and make the most of the opportunity they’re going to give me…I feel great about it. I think my time on the West Coast has expired and I’m looking forward to a new change of scenery.”

Trying to dig up more information on this guy. Apparently he is more of a nickel-back and is excellent against slot receivers. Wonder if he can cover Whitten when we play the boys since no one else on the Giants seems to be able to.

From a Redskin's site:

Very solid signing.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/16/giants-fortify-defense-with-signings-of-thurmond-and-demps/

Thurmond, who agreed to a one-year deal for $3.5M, arrives from the best defense in the NFL, as he was mostly a slot cornerback for the Seahawks. He ranked fifth in the league in fewest yards allowed in the slot, according to Pro Football Focus. He joins a cornerback group that includes Trumaine McBride and Jayron Hosley. Thurmond last season was suspended four games for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy. He’s only played in 20 games the past three seasons, as he was sidelined for much of 2011 and 2012 with a broken leg.

Prince, DRC, Thurmond, McBride, Hosely

Rolle, Hill, Brown, Demps, Taylor

You think we'll actually carry 5 safeties this year...especially with a roster spot devoted to a KR/PR? Do we still have DeOssie on the roster as a LS?

I wonder if it's wise to devote 2 roster spots solely to ST players (outside of K and P)

You think we'll actually carry 5 safeties this year...especially with a roster spot devoted to a KR/PR? Do we still have DeOssie on the roster as a LS?

I wonder if it's wise to devote 2 roster spots solely to ST players (outside of K and P)

I wasn't posting that as I think it's who we go into the season with, but it's our backfield roster right now.

I wasn't posting that as I think it's who we go into the season with, but it's our backfield roster right now.

Oh, I know you weren't necessarily suggesting that's opening day roster...but after looking at what we have currently...the immediate question is...who sticks if we're not carrying all 5 safeties.

Oh, I know you weren't necessarily suggesting that's opening day roster...but after looking at what we have currently...the immediate question is...who sticks if we're not carrying all 5 safeties.

You'd have to think Taylor would be the odd man out there.

You'd have to think Taylor would be the odd man out there.

Agreed. This will be a stressful camp for Taylor. He'll have to be lights out from the get-go to stick.....but you'd have to think someone would snatch him off the waiver wire if we cut him loose.

Agreed. This will be a stressful camp for Taylor. He'll have to be lights out from the get-go to stick.....but you'd have to think someone would snatch him off the waiver wire if we cut him loose.

Being a hybrid that can play LB, I don't see him getting cut....unless his injuries are a concern. I suspect he'll be moving more and more into the LB crew or some variation of a new type of position player.

Being a hybrid that can play LB, I don't see him getting cut....unless his injuries are a concern. I suspect he'll be moving more and more into the LB crew or some variation of a new type of position player.

Yeah, he might want to bulk up and compete for time at weakside.

Fewell runs so many 3-safety looks that I could see him getting time in running situations, too.

If he can tackle, and cover, he has a good shot at sticking around.

Yeah, he might want to bulk up and compete for time at weakside.

Fewell runs so many 3-safety looks that I could see him getting time in running situations, too.

If he can tackle, and cover, he has a good shot at sticking around.

I wonder if the 3 safety look was more out of necessity than choice given our LB crew of the past few years.

I think it's a no brainer that Taylor would be the odd man out there, but given he's only 1 or 2 years in (I can't remember off the top of my head), I don't want to see the Giants letting him get away either.

I wonder if the 3 safety look was more out of necessity than choice given our LB crew of the past few years.

I think it's a no brainer that Taylor would be the odd man out there, but given he's only 1 or 2 years in (I can't remember off the top of my head), I don't want to see the Giants letting him get away either.

He was drafted last year in the 2013 draft. Got hurt right off so spent time off early with a shoulder injury and then a hamstring injury before Christmas put him on the Injury Reserve list. We haven't really had a chance to see what he can do if he stays healthy and gets some reps under his belt.

It's too early to give up on him. He's a monster and he's really fast for such a big guy (6'4" / 230+ lbs) - he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.49 seconds, and had 23 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. That's astounding for a guy as big as him. And he has football sense and knows how to read a play and move to the ball. I don't see the team giving up on him unless he spends more time on the injured list.

He was drafted last year in the 2013 draft. Got hurt right off so spent time off early with a shoulder injury and then a hamstring injury before Christmas put him on the Injury Reserve list. We haven't really had a chance to see what he can do if he stays healthy and gets some reps under his belt.

It's too early to give up on him. He's a monster and he's really fast for such a big guy (6'4" / 230+ lbs) - he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.49 seconds, and had 23 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. That's astounding for a guy as big as him. And he has football sense and knows how to read a play and move to the ball. I don't see the team giving up on him unless he spends more time on the injured list.

Yea but he had 0 backflips :P