SportsWrath

What to do with Snee? I'm torn like a hip ligament...

fishgutmartyr

A large part of me realizes the guy is pretty much done. His days as a 16 game starter are over. And I have to admit, part of my indecision on this would be sentimentality--the guy sacrificed his health for this team, and is willing to give up even more for it. I'm glad it's not my call.

Snee has already stated that he is willing to take a pay cut, and mentor someone who beats him out for the starting guard position. He's a wraith of himself at this point, but he was a top offensive lineman in this league for years; and he would be passing on a lot of experience to whoever we draft. If we go FA with youth, it wouldn't hurt that player to get some of his input, either.

So, how much is it worth to have a guy on your roster that might give you a couple of games, but would be invaluable as far as passing along experience to one, possibly two draft picks coming in? We need new players for sure, but we also need to maintain some of the 2008 offensive line culture, and he's the last member. It would help the transition in that sense.

If we get 3-4 games out of him, that might be enough to get a rookie into playing shape, if necessary.

We're in the hole with him for about 4mil whether we keep him or not. I'm not going to count that money--because it's spent no matter what. If he signs on for one year at 1 or 2 million, is it worth it? We'd still be saving at least 5 million; and that might be the price for a hoary old backup anyway.

I'm really not sure about this one--wondering what you guys think. I honestly thought that Snee would just retire.

No matter what your opinion, please maintain a level of respect for a player who has given us years of high-quality play and has shown a dedication to this team. Hate on the body, not the man. He has already stated that he either plays for the Giants, or his career is over. Thanks.

It all depends on how he can restructure.

If you can get him down to a vet minimum type contract, and get some of that remaining 7 million off the cap somehow, I'm all for it. But I'm pretty sure that 7 mil stays there no matter what... even if he retires.

Now, here's the thing. If he's really ineffective, then you have to cut him before the season starts and get someone in there that will be able to play. I know that "if you cut Snee, you only save 4 million and have to eat 7" but what good is a player who can't play, no matter what you're paying him or saving? At least that 4 million could go to a one-year deal for a guy that might be servicable.

If you can do a vet minimum type deal, and also have 4 mil to bring in a Grey Rugamer type on a one-year plan for insurance, I think it should happen. If he wants his pay cut from 4 to 3 million on top of the seven or something similar, I think we have to wave goodbye to him.

It all depends on how he can restructure.

If you can get him down to a vet minimum type contract, and get some of that remaining 7 million off the cap somehow, I'm all for it. But I'm pretty sure that 7 mil stays there no matter what... even if he retires.

Now, here's the thing. If he's really ineffective, then you have to cut him before the season starts and get someone in there that will be able to play. I know that "if you cut Snee, you only save 4 million and have to eat 7" but what good is a player who can't play, no matter what you're paying him or saving? At least that 4 million could go to a one-year deal for a guy that might be servicable.

If you can do a vet minimum type deal, and also have 4 mil to bring in a Grey Rugamer type on a one-year plan for insurance, I think it should happen. If he wants his pay cut from 4 to 3 million on top of the seven or something similar, I think we have to wave goodbye to him.

If we flat-out cut him, we save close to 7 million. He's 4.5 in dead money.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Giants&Year=2014

If it were the other way around, I wouldn't have started this thread. 8-9 million tied up on a back up player with severe limitations is way too much. The team would have to at least get a degree of starter potential out of that. You'd almost be forced to get another Boothe-type player. As it is, keeping Snee would have it's risks if we get hit with injuries again, especially early-on.

Oh, and not a bad thought, Herc. All that knowledge, and none of the additional cap hit.

He doesn't want to retire and we still need him. He restructures/paycut, we're back in business. If he is healthy by training camp, we'll be a better team than if we simply cut him now. Chris Snee might not be the player he used to be but is still better than average if he does come back healthy next season.

If we flat-out cut him, we save close to 7 million. He's 4.5 in dead money.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Giants&Year=2014

If it were the other way around, I wouldn't have started this thread. 8-9 million tied up on a back up player with severe limitations is way too much. The team would have to at least get a degree of starter potential out of that. You'd almost be forced to get another Boothe-type player. As it is, keeping Snee would have it's risks if we get hit with injuries again, especially early-on.

Oh, and not a bad thought, Herc. All that knowledge, and none of the additional cap hit.

If cutting him saves us 7 mil in cap money than I think the only thing you can do is offer him a vet minimum type extension that's heavily incentive-laden.

I think it'd be great to have someone with his knowledge coach up some young guys but the only problem is that from the beat writers to his teammates to people that have met him in real life, everyone says Chris Snee is a total dick. Not sure how other players would respond to a guy like that.

If cutting him saves us 7 mil in cap money than I think the only thing you can do is offer him a vet minimum type extension that's heavily incentive-laden.

I think it'd be great to have someone with his knowledge coach up some young guys but the only problem is that from the beat writers to his teammates to people that have met him in real life, everyone says Chris Snee is a total dick. Not sure how other players would respond to a guy like that.

where is that?

I have been wondering about Snee, too. I was anguished when I heard he's going to try to play another year, because such a great Giant shouldn't have to be asked to leave, which is the inevitable end game here. I hope he reconsiders and retires with the class and dignity he's earned. The coaching idea is a good one - maybe eases the withdrawal.....and I don't know where this notion came from that he's a prickish guy. My wife, daughter and I met him a few times over the years in Albany and he was always a gentleman and very gracious in signing for my daughter and other kids.

I'd cut him then resign him to vet min. He isn't a pro bowler by any means but he's still serviceable. Problem with him is he can't be depended on each week. Although I think the theme of this offseason should be getting players who we can depend on and it starts by getting rid of the injury prone guys but snee could be the exception. He's a true a giant and not to mention the HCs son in law. He has a lil pull.

If guys like Carl Banks, Mark Bavaro and Jessie Armstead can don different uniforms, so can Snee. You have him take a paycut to 1-2 million dollars...the guy I'm really worried about is David Baas. I hated that signing to begin with and I hate it even more now.

A large part of me realizes the guy is pretty much done. His days as a 16 game starter are over. And I have to admit, part of my indecision on this would be sentimentality--the guy sacrificed his health for this team, and is willing to give up even more for it. I'm glad it's not my call.

Snee has already stated that he is willing to take a pay cut, and mentor someone who beats him out for the starting guard position. He's a wraith of himself at this point, but he was a top offensive lineman in this league for years; and he would be passing on a lot of experience to whoever we draft. If we go FA with youth, it wouldn't hurt that player to get some of his input, either.

So, how much is it worth to have a guy on your roster that might give you a couple of games, but would be invaluable as far as passing along experience to one, possibly two draft picks coming in? We need new players for sure, but we also need to maintain some of the 2008 offensive line culture, and he's the last member. It would help the transition in that sense.

If we get 3-4 games out of him, that might be enough to get a rookie into playing shape, if necessary.

We're in the hole with him for about 4mil whether we keep him or not. I'm not going to count that money--because it's spent no matter what. If he signs on for one year at 1 or 2 million, is it worth it? We'd still be saving at least 5 million; and that might be the price for a hoary old backup anyway.

I'm really not sure about this one--wondering what you guys think. I honestly thought that Snee would just retire.

No matter what your opinion, please maintain a level of respect for a player who has given us years of high-quality play and has shown a dedication to this team. Hate on the body, not the man. He has already stated that he either plays for the Giants, or his career is over. Thanks.

I think you keep him, and have an open competition on the offensive line.

I totally get you points, and they are probably valid, but maybe (and this is a big maybe) Snee is healthy, and has regained some motion.

A 70% Snee might be a decent backup....a 90% Snee might be our best best starting at left guard......a 60% or 50% Snee is likely done.

If guys like Carl Banks, Mark Bavaro and Jessie Armstead can don different uniforms, so can Snee. You have him take a paycut to 1-2 million dollars...the guy I'm really worried about is David Baas. I hated that signing to begin with and I hate it even more now.

I've mentally block out Bavaro on the Eagles....too painful.

Apparently they approached Baas about a pay cut and he refused

I'm sure Baas is going to be cut after June to take advantage of the savings in cap space - no doubt at all. Hopefully, we can pick up someone like Travis Swanson out of Arkansas in a later round.

I'd like to keep Snee (at much lower cost of course), but as a rotating backup at guard for a year. He could tutor his rookie replacement while keeping him fresh by spelling him once in awhile.

Snee grew up in Montrose, a small town few miles south of Binghamton where homes go for a whopping 45 - 60k and there's many, many acres of rural land all around it. He loves to hunt and fish and is an outdoorsman. He's made his fortune. Even at league minimum, he's going to live like a king for the rest of his life. It's the city-slickers who need millions to maintain a lifestyle in expensive cities. Snee's not like that.

where is that?

They bring it up on Big Blue Kickoff Live all the time... called his personality "prickly at best." Someone here too (BigBlue maybe?) was at camp a few times and always says he's a dick... don't even acknowledge people trying to talk to him. Two of my buddies in Jersey said the same thing.

Google "Chris Snee Grumpy" and you'll get a bunch of articles about it too.