SportsWrath

Time for ownership to make the call.

JMFP

Look, here's the deal. In no way should little Jernel Jernigan be at WR on any competitive team split wide. Maybe a backup slot guy on a competitive team. He's not a real talent on a good team. I have no idea what that offense was trying to do on Sunday. This team lacks a premier #1 receiver that Hakeem Nicks was supposed to be. They also lack an offensive line that can give a reasonably good pocket to Eli.

The better team won on Sunday... and it was a lot closer of a game given the talent then we'd like to admit. You see the Giants trying to generate a pass rush on Romo with double barrell blitzes and time and again Dallas would pick it up. The Giants then would rush 3 with 8 in coverage and it was equally ineffective. The Cowboys were simply the better team. The deficiencies of this team are very apparent and they've been obvious from the start. The O-line is in disrepair. And they could not generate a pass rush with 6 rushers much less 4.

At no point this season have the Giants really looked like a playoff team. They need to invest big time in the offensive line, particularly the interior, and the defensive front 7... what we have now is a mediocre squad that is inferior talent-wise but tries hard.

Reese takes some blame here... but Gilly's offense is completely inadequate as well, especially given the players he has, but even with better players, I still think this offensive scheme is more than faulty.

Outstanding post.

This team needs 2 tough guards - not "athletes".....they need tough fucking football players. They also need an impact outside linebacker to complement Beason on the inside.

They need a linebacker that can rock a running back on the blitz....when was the last time that we had an OLB that created mismatches????

And to dumb this down for Reese...please, just look at the SEC, and find the toughest fucking guard available in the 1st round.....then, find the meanest fucking linebacker from the SEC in the 2nd.....then, go back and get yourself another guard in the 3rd.

Less backflips, more pancakes, please.

It's a major reason. Good coaches disguise the team's weaknesses and play up to its strengths. We were running at will... 9 10 16 yard gains and what do we do? We pass :doh:

The part that gets me about this, Nas, is when asked about it, specifically if maybe they should have ran the ball more, Coughlin's response was a long the lines of, "We like to have balance on offense and I think we accomplished that, so...no, I don't think there was any regrets about that." To me, that's a clueless response. You have no one out there who can get open, receivers running the wrong routes (Jernigan) or getting jammed up on the line (Randle), Eli making some disgustingly inaccurate throws into, and with, the wind, Jerrel Jernigan getting inordinate amounts of playing time and targets, and, like you said, the run game averaging like 6 yards a carry. YOU POUND THE BALL UNTIL THEY PROVE THEY CAN STOP IT. Balance doesn't matter when your running game is the only thing effective.

Some of the calls that are being made out there are changes at the line where Eli is given the option to check down. Some of those draw plays you see on 3rd and long have been Eli's.

Secondly, yesterdays passing attack was about as bad as I've seen out there. Jernigan might have 3 catches but his fucking route running was a mess out there. For fuck sake he tripped Cruz going across the middle where he shouldn't have been, and how does someone blow a streak pattern down sideline by 20 fucking yards. The fumble by Cruz was him trying to get extra yards, and with all due respect we'd all give them shit for not trying harder so I feel he;s been hard done by .

And another thing, Gilbride has mixed up the run and the pass more than ever the last few games and basically we've revitalized the run game. Again he got shit for it when he didn't do it.

Look, I think he's average. He's had 2 head coach jobs and he failed miserably in both. But I don't think this mess has been mainly his fault. That said, it's not Coughlin that will have to give the blessing to release him, it's Eli.

Finally, a little sanity. This is Gilbride's worst year here, hands-down. Not so much his play calling, but the complete lack of adjustment on his offense to a sub-par line. Most of this season, this site has bitched him out about having fades in the red zone: this week the bitch was about not having Nicks out there (which wasn't his call) to throw what I assume would be a fade. He's not innocent, no one is innocent in such a shitty season; but we have a defense that plays it's best only when there's no pressure to perform, special teams that give up tds at an absurd rate, and wide receivers that apparently took stupid pills.

I've never seen Manning show so much frustration towards his receivers than he has this year. I get the feeling these wide receivers are reading their own press releases, because Eli is getting irritated not just on the INTs (which he fucking should be), but on a LOT of the incompletions. Frankly, I haven't seen any wide receiver do a good job this year. Possibly Cruz, but only by default.

Yeah, I don't get why you remove your best blocking back on the goal line, but there are FAR more problems on this team than Gilbride's play calling.

I'm still dumbfounded by some wanting to give Fewell a pass because we didn't stink against amateur QBs this season, and a win streak and SB win 2 years ago; while torches are being lit for a guy that won 2 SBs for us with a squad that has produced for us pretty consistently for most of his tenure. What about the rest of his time here? It may well be time to move on from Gilbride--but if you guys think that will solve all this team's problems, you're wrong.

Look, here's the deal. In no way should little Jernel Jernigan be at WR on any competitive team split wide. Maybe a backup slot guy on a competitive team. He's not a real talent on a good team. I have no idea what that offense was trying to do on Sunday. This team lacks a premier #1 receiver that Hakeem Nicks was supposed to be. They also lack an offensive line that can give a reasonably good pocket to Eli.

The better team won on Sunday... and it was a lot closer of a game given the talent then we'd like to admit. You see the Giants trying to generate a pass rush on Romo with double barrell blitzes and time and again Dallas would pick it up. The Giants then would rush 3 with 8 in coverage and it was equally ineffective. The Cowboys were simply the better team. The deficiencies of this team are very apparent and they've been obvious from the start. The O-line is in disrepair. And they could not generate a pass rush with 6 rushers much less 4.

At no point this season have the Giants really looked like a playoff team. They need to invest big time in the offensive line, particularly the interior, and the defensive front 7... what we have now is a mediocre squad that is inferior talent-wise but tries hard.

Reese takes some blame here... but Gilly's offense is completely inadequate as well, especially given the players he has, but even with better players, I still think this offensive scheme is more than faulty.

Again, the offense was pretty awful, but they tied the game. The defense came up small when it counted. Again. 5 defenders around Witten in the end zone, and no one reacted to the ball!?

We need a real center, desperately. We've been starting Jim Cordle(!) for most of the season. He gets replaced by Boothe in-game, and there's no real difference? What does that say about leadership on this line? Center is supposed to be the guy calling the shots for the line--obviously, that hasn't happened all year.

But I agree, we need guards as well. More than a new OC--Eli is a long-ball QB: he just doesn't have a good touch on his shorter throws. That means he needs a pocket, period. Not that he has guys to throw to in the backfield, other than maybe Brown.

Man, I can't wait for this season to be over.

Forget the playcalling. At this point with Gilbride, can we at least just try getting the damn play calls in on time before the play clock expires? On a weekly basis, the giants generally commit at least three delay of games or the equivalent of time-outs burned because they can't get the plays off on time. Has anyone else noticed the giants seem to be prone to this more than other teams?

Play calling is hit & miss and always subject to 2nd guessing, so I don't kill Gilly for that as much as ........I think teams know what we're doing based on pre-snap reads of our personnel, formation, down & distance.....in other words, they've figured us out.......and on top of that, our execution sucks. Take for example our screens - we simply cannot get the timing & spacing right!!! And those slip screens, to the outside receiver - every team we play against runs that better than we do! WHY?

Also hate our receiver's route tree, which too often seems to be running straight up, looking for a seam.

And for the last time on taking the penalty against Philly when it would have been 4th down: Philly would have gone for it! They had moved the ball almost at will into our territory and had 4th & 6 or something. No doubt in my mind they would have gone for it and based on what happened up to that point and on the next play, had a damn good chance of making it. Some of you guys have to stop listening to Craig Carton!

i am aware of the lame explanation that coughlin gave. but this was at the giants 47 yard line, not the 37 yard line. going for it there is not a slam dunk. and it's not like it was 4th and short.

i'd much rather have a team try for a 4th and 4 at midfield (which for some reason is being treated as a layup conversion by the defenders of this move) and have a shot at great field position than giving them two shots at the first down (assuming it's a 100% guarantee that he's going for it on 4th, which we apparently are)

it was a terrible call

They were absolutely going for it and what you should be pissed at is the defense letting them convert on 3rd and what? 18 or something?

But either way, to focus on that as a significant moment of this lost season is like blaming a snowball for an avalanche.

i was pissed at the defense for giving it up. that doesn't change the fact that i thought it was an awful call as soon as he did it.

im not focusing on that call, i was using it as an example for why i think coughlin isn't so hot as a gameday coach. the call itself certainly doesn't make a lick of difference as far this season goes

17 points allowed by the defense that was put in shitty field position all game with little hope that the offense would score any points. Period. End of story. The loss is on Gilbride and Manning.

The Eagles weren't going for it at midfield with 4th and 4, I don't care who is coaching that team. This is the NFL. Coaches lose their jobs if they make dumb decisions like going for it on 4th and 4 too often.

Play calling is hit & miss and always subject to 2nd guessing, so I don't kill Gilly for that as much as ........I think teams know what we're doing based on pre-snap reads of our personnel, formation, down & distance.....in other words, they've figured us out.......and on top of that, our execution sucks. Take for example our screens - we simply cannot get the timing & spacing right!!! And those slip screens, to the outside receiver - every team we play against runs that better than we do! WHY?

Also hate our receiver's route tree, which too often seems to be running straight up, looking for a seam.

And for the last time on taking the penalty against Philly when it would have been 4th down: Philly would have gone for it! They had moved the ball almost at will into our territory and had 4th & 6 or something. No doubt in my mind they would have gone for it and based on what happened up to that point and on the next play, had a damn good chance of making it. Some of you guys have to stop listening to Craig Carton!

This...obviously opposing coordinators have done a statistical analysis of the Giants play calling...its as if they are in the huddle with the offense...