SportsWrath

What's the story with Nicks?

JMFP

that could very well be true and i don't disagree with you on coughlin, but i don't think it makes any sense that a player in a contract year with 0 TDs and a history of playing hurt and understating his own injuries would not play if he were physically able to.

unrelated note: looks like our old friend carbo is up to his old tricks trolling NJ.com

Nicks made it clear he wanted to play ... Coughlin seemingly ticked off Nicks faked an injury sat him against the Cowboys who in turn double teamed Cruz and now our season is down the shitter because of an asshole coach and a diva WR... At least how I think of it.

Edit: based on Coughlin's reaction it seems he didn't believe Nicks was really injured.

Nicks made it clear he wanted to play ... Coughlin seemingly ticked off Nicks faked an injury sat him against the Cowboys who in turn double teamed Cruz and now our season is down the shitter because of an asshole coach and a diva WR... At least how I think of it.

Edit: based on Coughlin's reaction it seems he didn't believe Nicks was really injured.

Our season wasn't a bed of roses before this game. The problem is that next week we play the Skins and there's a good chance we can win it. Then we'll inch closer to the bandwagon again.

Our season wasn't a bed of roses before this game. The problem is that next week we play the Skins and there's a good chance we can win it. Then we'll inch closer to the bandwagon again.

We knew we were in deep shit all along then we strung out 4 wins... Why not hope for a turn around? It doesn't mean we thought we were the Patriots.. But had the Giants won Sunday we'd be talking playoffs no? The fact Nicks JPP decided not to show up didn't help either... We had no business starting 0-6.

We knew we were in deep shit all along then we strung out 4 wins... Why not hope for a turn around? It doesn't mean we thought we were the Patriots.. But had the Giants won Sunday we'd be talking playoffs no? The fact Nicks JPP decided not to show up didn't help either... We had no business starting 0-6.

Nas, apart from the Dallas game and the Bears game, it was pretty emphatic 0-6.

I just want them to play hard the rest of the season at this point and give guys the chance to get playing time. If Jpp has to be sat the rest of the season so be it. We're going to have to reload at the end of the season now anyway.

Nas, apart from the Dallas game and the Bears game, it was pretty emphatic 0-6.

I just want them to play hard the rest of the season at this point and give guys the chance to get playing time. If Jpp has to be sat the rest of the season so be it. We're going to have to reload at the end of the season now anyway.

I want them to play hard too... but I'm tired of waiting to pick 20th in the draft... I think the young guys like Hankin and Moore should play a lot going forward. I'm not hopeful JPP can get back to form... he doesn't play hungry and looks out of shape out there.

Nas, it's clear that's how you think of it, but in no way can you credibly call Nicks a "diva". He's almost the exact opposite. I don't know why you've constructed this opinion of him, but you are straight-up wrong.

Nas, it's clear that's how you think of it, but in no way can you credibly call Nicks a "diva". He's almost the exact opposite. I don't know why you've constructed this opinion of him, but you are straight-up wrong.

Fair... here's why I think of him as a diva (and I know I could very well be wrong.. I actually hope I am):

• During the off-seaons he didn't show up for the voluntary workouts.. voluntary yes.. but needed to be in sync with his QB.. no explanation given besides "personal". You think that rubbed Coughlin the wrong way?
  • He plays this season and is a no-show.. unable to get separation etc.. no injuries reported.. what injuries? That's what the offseason is for...
  • Last week he claims to have an abdonimal in jury.. it seems Coughlin things he's faking it... he gets on a stationary bike which is horseshit.. if I have an abdominal injury, I think I need to stay off that muscle.. stationary bike doesn't help the healing process.
  • He didn't say much but the impression I and some fans got was he was too upset with Cruz being taken care of.. unreasonably. Any employer would want you to perform then a raise will follow...

Now do I hope I'm dead fucking wrong? You bet I do. I think Nicks plays at half of what he was in 2011 and we're talking 7-4 instead of 4-7.. and we're talking playoffs instead of draft. I like a team-player not a me-shawn. Understand I'm viewing this as an employer.. as a FO office person.. I appreciate it when my staff not just shows up on time but early.. and I appreciate it when they don't vanish the moment the clock hits 5 PM.

Cruz was playing at his RFA contract level and performed admirably and earned a huge payday... Nicks for whatever reason isn't in it.. his heart doesn't seem to be in it. Did he want a new contract right away? We will never know because he never says anything. I'm in the school of thought that we have bigger needs namely at OL and DE (I don't think JPP will live up to the hype of his rookie year... he has Shockey written all over him). And if we can land someone like Anquan Boldin, he and Cruz can be the tandem the offense needs. I understand things can change and I don't have the full story.. no one really has. I hope I'm wrong and Nicks stays a Giant but I'm not holding my breath. When I look back at 2013, I will think Nicks performed a disappearing act (and so did JPP on the defense) and that's why the season was depressing.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-insider-hakeem-grabs-notice-article-1.1530553

Fair... here's why I think of him as a diva (and I know I could very well be wrong.. I actually hope I am):

• During the off-seaons he didn't show up for the voluntary workouts.. voluntary yes.. but needed to be in sync with his QB.. no explanation given besides "personal". You think that rubbed Coughlin the wrong way?
  • He plays this season and is a no-show.. unable to get separation etc.. no injuries reported.. what injuries? That's what the offseason is for...
  • Last week he claims to have an abdonimal in jury.. it seems Coughlin things he's faking it... he gets on a stationary bike which is horseshit.. if I have an abdominal injury, I think I need to stay off that muscle.. stationary bike doesn't help the healing process.
  • He didn't say much but the impression I and some fans got was he was too upset with Cruz being taken care of.. unreasonably. Any employer would want you to perform then a raise will follow...

Now do I hope I'm dead fucking wrong? You bet I do. I think Nicks plays at half of what he was in 2011 and we're talking 7-4 instead of 4-7.. and we're talking playoffs instead of draft. I like a team-player not a me-shawn. Understand I'm viewing this as an employer.. as a FO office person.. I appreciate it when my staff not just shows up on time but early.. and I appreciate it when they don't vanish the moment the clock hits 5 PM.

Cruz was playing at his RFA contract level and performed admirably and earned a huge payday... Nicks for whatever reason isn't in it.. his heart doesn't seem to be in it. Did he want a new contract right away? We will never know because he never says anything. I'm in the school of thought that we have bigger needs namely at OL and DE (I don't think JPP will live up to the hype of his rookie year... he has Shockey written all over him). And if we can land someone like Anquan Boldin, he and Cruz can be the tandem the offense needs. I understand things can change and I don't have the full story.. no one really has. I hope I'm wrong and Nicks stays a Giant but I'm not holding my breath. When I look back at 2013, I will think Nicks performed a disappearing act (and so did JPP on the defense) and that's why the season was depressing.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-insider-hakeem-grabs-notice-article-1.1530553

a) During the off-season he was recovering from the previous season's lingering injuries, that he played through, probably to the detriment of his long-term health.

b) He's never been a guy who gets huge seperation, so I don't know why you keep saying that. He's the guy that wins in one-on-one plays for the ball. Balls he's not getting thrown.

c) Coughlin benched him. That's not Nicks' decision and you have no indication at all that he was 'faking' it. That's pure negative spin by you.

d) Again, you get this 'impression' from where? He's said ZERO to the media about his contract. He didn't hold out, he hasn't made quips about Eli or Coughlin or Reese, none of the regular 'diva' behaviour.

a) During the off-season he was recovering from the previous season's lingering injuries, that he played through, probably to the detriment of his long-term health.

b) He's never been a guy who gets huge seperation, so I don't know why you keep saying that. He's the guy that wins in one-on-one plays for the ball. Balls he's not getting thrown.

c) Coughlin benched him. That's not Nicks' decision and you have no indication at all that he was 'faking' it. That's pure negative spin by you.

d) Again, you get this 'impression' from where? He's said ZERO to the media about his contract. He didn't hold out, he hasn't made quips about Eli or Coughlin or Reese, none of the regular 'diva' behaviour.

Here's what I said: (and I'm the one spinning?)

Last week he claims to have an abdonimal in jury.. it seems Coughlin things he's faking it... he gets on a stationary bike which is horseshit.. if I have an abdominal injury, I think I need to stay off that muscle.. stationary bike doesn't help the healing process.

Honestly, Nicks is one of the biggest enigmas on this team.

When he's healthy, he's a top-five receiver. But honestly, when has he been healthy over the past two seasons?

I can't blame him for being angry with the organization... dude played hurt the entire season last year. But instead of being rewarded for it, Cruz got the big payday.

On the other hand... from the standpoint of management, Nicks wasn't effective when he played hurt, and this season was the one where he was to prove he could stay healthy. He hasn't. Why would they shell out big bucks for a guy that hasn't been 100% since 2011?

I don't think this is a reconcilable difference. Unless nobody wants him on the open market, he won't be a Giant next year.

Also, it's strange that he and JPP's careers are so similar. JPP has one more season to prove himself and if he doesn't, I think he'll be gone too.

Here's what I said: (and I'm the one spinning?)

Yes. Where's the indication that NICKS is faking anything? Nicks doesn't issue the injury report, Nicks practiced all week, and as you pointed out, Nicks wouldn't get on a stationary bike if he was trying to 'fake' an injury. He's in a contract year and needs to be on the field. I don't think anyone faked anything, just becasue there wasn't a report from Friday's practice that he went down hurt doesn't mean he wasn't hurt. You're projecting.

Yes. Where's the indication that NICKS is faking anything? Nicks doesn't issue the injury report, Nicks practiced all week, and as you pointed out, Nicks wouldn't get on a stationary bike if he was trying to 'fake' an injury. He's in a contract year and needs to be on the field. I don't think anyone faked anything, just becasue there wasn't a report from Friday's practice that he went down hurt doesn't mean he wasn't hurt. You're projecting.

No.. you misunderstood everything I said and seem to run away with it. I was criticizing the stationary bike idea... IF NICKS IS INJURED then he ought to rest his body.. .period.. no stationary bike.. nothing. I'm nothing going to retype what I said... read it again if you want. You want to accuse me of saying something I never said...

No.. you misunderstood everything I said and seem to run away with it. I was criticizing the stationary bike idea... IF NICKS IS INJURED then he ought to rest his body.. .period.. no stationary bike.. nothing.

You said he "claimed" to be injured, and that Coughlin "things [sic] he's faking it".

I'm nothing going to retype what I said... read it again if you want. You want to accuse me of saying something I never said...

Diva.

You said he "claimed" to be injured, and that Coughlin "things [sic] he's faking it".

Yes... he claimed to be injured and it seems Coughlin didn't buy it "Coughlin thinks he's faking it"... I didn't say "He is faking it"... I don't know if he is or isn't... I'm commenting on the rift between the two.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/11/hakeem_nicks_corey_webster_return_to_giants_practice.html

Hakeem Nicks ran a few routes and did positional drills during the portion of Giants practice open to the media on Wednesday.

After being listed as a limited participant on Thursday and Friday, Nicks did not play in Sunday's game ending a puzzling week for the former first-round draft pick.

The abdominal injury, which Nicks originally thought was a sports hernia, did not seem to be hampering him.

As Tom Coughlin predicted, Brandon Jacobs (knee), Trumaine McBride (groin), Terrell Thomas (knee) and Jason Pierre-Paul (shoulder) did not work.

McBride and Thomas did go to individual drills and seemed to walk through the installations, though.

But why do you think that Coughlin thinks he's faking it? There are team doctors involved in these decisons too. And why do you think that there's a "rift"?

It's extremely pausible for the team to be cautious with a player who's presenting with symptoms of a hernia. That's something that could go from 'irritation' to 'HOLY SHIT GET THIS GUY INTO SURGERY RIGHT NOW" in one play.

But why do you think that Coughlin thinks he's faking it? There are team doctors involved in these decisons too. And why do you think that there's a "rift"?

It's extremely pausible for the team to be cautious with a player who's presenting with symptoms of a hernia. That's something that could go from 'irritation' to 'HOLY SHIT GET THIS GUY INTO SURGERY RIGHT NOW" in one play.

I think there's a rift because Nicks said he's ready to go and the asshole still benched him and cost us the game.

I think there's a rift because Nicks said he's ready to go and the asshole still benched him and cost us the game.

Again, I think it's more likely that the medical staff advised against it, despite what Nicks wanted, especially given how poorly it worked out last season letting him play with nagging injuries.

Again, I think it's more likely that the medical staff advised against it, despite what Nicks wanted, especially given how poorly it worked out last season letting him play with nagging injuries.

This was a must win for us.. and the mere presence of Nicks on the field would have freed Cruz from double teams and we may have been talking about catching the Eagles instead of hoping for a top 5 pick. Maybe you're right but the buzz I'm getting from reading articles is there's something there between Coughlin and Nicks... Either way it's over and this season is done.

Anquan Boldin is a season rental at this point Nas and an expensive one at that, if I'm correct he's getting 8 million from the 49ers. I want nothing to do with that if I'm the Giants.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, hopefully for the last time: So often, both the player and team have high expectations for the first year back after injury but the reality is, it takes another year before full strength and effectiveness returns. It might behoove both Nicks and the Giants to agree to a one year deal - Nicks gets an opportunity to re-establish his value (because nobody is giving him a big contract now) and the Giants might get the Nicks they hoped for this year at a cap friendly number. That is a chance I would take.