SportsWrath

Thoughts on Carl Banks

Lughead

First off we all know a good/great player does not a good/great coach make.

When, not IF but WHEN this coaching regime falls; I think Carl Banks should be considered at the DC position at the most and LBer coach at the least.

Current DC :

Tom Coughlin reached into his past for a coach on Jan. 14, 2010 when he hired as the Giants’ defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, who once spent five seasons as Coughlin’s secondary coach in Jacksonville. Fewell’s first three years with the Giants were highlighted by many outstanding defensive performances and a Super Bowl victory.

Current Lber coach :

Jim Herrmann is in his fifth season as the Giants linebackers coach and eighth year in the NFL. Herrmann joined the Giants coaching staff on Jan. 22, 2009 following three seasons as the linebackers coach for the Jets. Prior to entering the NFL, Herrmann was on the coaching staff at the University of Michigan, his alma mater, for 20 years, including a nine-year stint as defensive coordinator.

He is better than either of these two put together.

I think Banks would make a tremendous coach, but like Seph said, he's got a nice gig right now. He is an excellent analyst, and pretty much a "made man" with Giants fans.

I think Banks has a tremendous football mind, and would also have street credibility as a former player.

The only "negative" is whether he might suffer from "Mike Singletary" syndrome.....sometimes, there great former players have a hard time pushing buttons with guys who don't have their work ethic, loyalty, pride, etc.

But in terms of intelligence, dedication, tradition, etc.....I'd cream in my pants if Carl Banks was part of this staff......he might be my favorite Giant of all time (behind the immortal Joe Morris, of course).

Jessie Armstead might want to work his way back into the rotation by the looks of it.

Carl banks wants nothing to do with coaching and that's fine by me because his clothing company is bringing back the satin jackets and that it in itself is contrbution enough for me.

I'd have Pepper Johnson back as defensive coordinator, he's more than decent.

Banks is one of the best analyst in all of football. Smart with the résumé to back up his words... What is his motivation to give that up?

Not everyone can coach especially if their heart is not in it. He might be better putting the pads on and playin this year