SportsWrath

New York Giants Writer/Analyst Opportunity

Giants1989

Jim, I wish you the best with this endeavor. They are lucky to have you! Tree is correct though - 2-3 articles a week is a LOT of work! I did something like this about 10 years ago for a fledgling internet site that never made it - Fanstop.com, I think it was. I started out writing a Giant preview column and then I suggested a weekly feature where I pick the games vs the spread. They put another guy with me and we were "The Spread Boys". I wrote the intro paragraph every week (because the other guy wasn't much of a writer, truth be told!) and we each wrote our 2 or 3 sentence take on each game, gave our pick vs the spread and predicted a final score. What could be easier?

By Week 8 or so it became a chore. It took more time than I wanted to spend - or had - some weeks and I was glad when the season ended. They wanted me to do it again the next year and I declined. I had always wanted a column like that and in the end it became a "be careful what you wish for" deal.

This is not meant to discourage you in any way! I'll only offer the advice that you set clear parameters of what is expected of you and don't offer too much too soon. Better to start with less volume and build within your comfort level. Once you start with high volume, they have a hard time taking less. Just my 2 cents. Good luck and o look forward to reading your work!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm a little cautious about the 2-3 articles a week thing, but I'm confident I can manage it. If it never turns into something more, then that's ok, it's easy for me to write about the Giants, anyway. But hopefully it might lead someday to making at least a little extra money for writing about sports, something I've always kind of fantasized about, I don't know why I haven't pursued it before this.

I've submitted the first article, don't think you guys will like it that much, lol. It's a little pessimist about the upcoming season. It is not up on the site yet, though. I would like to write another one before Saturday... so I have some potential topics would like to see what you guys would like to read...

Would you like a Game preview article highlighting matchups to watch?

An article about the revamped defensive line and their expecting contributions?

Oline carousel and their importance to gel quickly?

The linebacker situation?

Or the "unveiling" of David Wilson as "the man" as the Giants feature back?

I've submitted the first article, don't think you guys will like it that much, lol. It's a little pessimist about the upcoming season. It is not up on the site yet, though. I would like to write another one before Saturday... so I have some potential topics would like to see what you guys would like to read...

Since your first article was pessimistic I say go with the unveiling of David Wilson... but please find a way to insert a picture of Jerry Jones' face looking constipated whenever Eli completes a big pass.

I'm counting down the minutes.

Well, the article I've already written and submitted hasn't made it up yet, even though I got an e-mail saying it would be, 24 hours after I submitted it. The guy is trying to expand the site and handle everything, also is working full-time, so I know he's busy. But I'm a little discouraged, might be writing this stuff for nothing. I'll let you guys know when it goes up, but I'm not going to write the David Wilson article until it does.

So I wrote the guy that owns the site a FB message to find out what was up, because the article is still not posted. He swears it will be up in the morning and apologized, said it slipped through the cracks. I asked him if it was just a piece of shit or something, lol. But nah, he was apologetic, so hopefully going forward it will be a lot better.

Anyhow, I went over to the Cowboys' team articles and a writer posted his up, which he said that "BEN Baas" is hurt so "Jim Cordle" will be replacing him in the starting lineup, then said that because Diehl was hurt, they would be likely exploiting the rookie Pugh on the right side. I also spelled Randle's first name like the sandwich, not the "u" before "e"... Rueben. So I sent him a facebook message and talked a bunch of smack. Trying to get a rivalry started with the Cowboys' writer already!

Just so you guys know, I will be writing for this website. It seems to be a growing website. I'm going to do my best to make you guys proud. If it's ok with Rik, Lug, Nem, etc, I will post links here when new content is posted for the Giants. For now, I will just be providing Giants content. I hope all of you guys read my stuff and we can hopefully talk about it, I welcome constructive criticism. This is really a job, albeit one that I won't be earning a paycheck for, but maybe one day! :) At the very least, I can share my passion for the NY Giants with more Giants' fans. And the more you guys visit, the better off it is for me there at FSF. So I'll let you guys know when the first article goes up! Thanks!

That's awesome, Jim.

You were the first guy that came to mind.

I think Bleedin should also give it some consideration....he's a solid, detailed writer.

There are a bunch of other Giants fans here that have some great perspective as well....Tree, Fish, BlueInCanada, Fringe, Drizzle, Seph, Chuck, Rik, Nemesis, JoeKher, Nas, Lughead, HLB, Fugedaboudit, Booyah, Pdub, UK-Giants, Gorilla, Balloonknot, Trashtalker, Golfinguy, Gman, BigBlue, VirginiaGiant, Jraineli, CrazedDogs, Boner, Loops....pretty big list, and I'm sure there's a few guys I forgot to add because they might not have posted here recently.

Of course, I was going to mention Jack, but he should have his own website.

They're all good topics, Jim. I'm partial to the oline topic--and would love to see a compare/contrast between this line and the 2008 oline.

The 2008 oline is a great one to make comparisons against since it has about as clear an origin season as one can get (2004--only Diehl played with any sort of regularity in 2003, and he was a rookie), the players were relatively injury-free for 4-5 seasons, and the changes to it were mostly positional than personnel changes in that the only "new" starters were MacKenzie and Seubert. So you get this nice, evolutionary timeline from utter suck (2003) to solid(2004-2006), from solid to one of the best in the league(2007-2009), and finally, to decline.

It becomes almost a textbook study on what has to happen when building a great oline.

You could contrast this line with what went on with the 2008 line, and even guess the year we would be on as far as evolution goes.

Hope you don't mind--it's your gig, but that's a really intriguing angle for me.

Best of luck, big guy!

That's awesome, Jim.

You were the first guy that came to mind.

I think Bleedin should also give it some consideration....he's a solid, detailed writer.

There are a bunch of other Giants fans here that have some great perspective as well....Tree, Fish, BlueInCanada, Fringe, Drizzle, Seph, Chuck, Rik, Nemesis, JoeKher, Nas, Lughead, HLB, Fugedaboudit, Booyah, Pdub, UK-Giants, Gorilla, Balloonknot, Trashtalker, Golfinguy, Gman, BigBlue, VirginiaGiant, Jraineli, CrazedDogs, Boner, Loops....pretty big list, and I'm sure there's a few guys I forgot to add because they might not have posted here recently.

Of course, I was going to mention Jack, but he should have his own website.

I miss Jack :(

Good luck Jim. 2-3 articles a week is a LOT of work no compensation.

This. Be careful Jimmy, sounds semi-exploitative. Believe me as an adjunct professor I know what being exploited is all about. With a full time job and not being full time faculty it can be a bitch to answer to all of my masters. Did they give you a timeline when the compensation might start happening. I will try to hit the site as many times as I can. I will just read the articles as I am not a fantasy football fan. Good luck Jim. :)