SportsWrath

Former Giants linebacker suing Redskins, says knee injury a result of bounty program

Nas

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/07/former_giants_linebacker_suing_redskins_saying_knee_injury_a_result_of_bounty_program.html

Former Giants linebacker suing Redskins, says knee injury a result of bounty program

WASHINGTON -- A former NFL player is suing the Washington Redskins, saying his career-ending knee injury resulted from a bounty program in which the team's coaches encouraged players to intentionally injure opponents.

Barrett Green played linebacker for the Detroit Lions and Giants between 2000 and 2005. He says a career-ending knee injury during a game on Dec. 5, 2004, in Washington -- played as a member of the Giants -- was the result of an "unusual, outrageous and an obvious cheap shot."

The lawsuit also names former Redskins player Robert Royal, the player who hit Green, and former assistant coach Gregg Williams.

Green initially filed his lawsuit in May in state court in Maryland. It has since been removed to federal court in Greenbelt, Md.

The Redskins declined to comment on the case.

um... so Gregg Williams was coaching the Redskins offense at the time? mmmmkay....

Yeah but I could see that being the culture of that team. Or Williams telling offensive players to take a shot if they get the chance. Maybe not a bounty system on offense but if that is the theme of the defense, going going out and hurting guy intentionally, then I could se jabs in practice like "hey man, you know you guys could help yourselves out by taking a shot at ______________'s knee"

Yeah but I could see that being the culture of that team. Or Williams telling offensive players to take a shot if they get the chance. Maybe not a bounty system on offense but if that is the theme of the defense, going going out and hurting guy intentionally, then I could se jabs in practice like "hey man, you know you guys could help yourselves out by taking a shot at ______________'s knee"

true.... but I'm reasonably sure that Barrett Green was never on that list.

I seriously doubt Joe Gibbs would let the defensive coordinator tell the offensive players to go out and injure people.

yeah, I've never gotten that impression from Gibbs. He's always been pure class.

Agreed.

Back in the glory days of the 1980s, even though I hated the Redskins, I always admired Joe Gibbs. His teams were tough, but they weren't dirtbags.