SportsWrath

Nicks

Bigblue25

i think cruz's 33% yardage drop last season and nicks' relatively similar numbers before and after cruz came to the team speaks volumes about who relies on who.

nicks missed 6 games in 3 years before last season, 3 of which were with that fluky compartment syndrome thing. his foot got stepped on by a well-known dirty safety cuz he was lighting them up for 199 yards in week 2. the injury-prone rap is undeserved as far as i'm concerned.

the guy had the greatest superbowl run by any wide receiver ever. he's quiet, he doesn't cause trouble, he's not an attention whore, he doesn't care about making himself a brand--all he cares about is playing football. the guy is the absolute antithesis of a wr diva. i wish we had 53 guys like him. if we have to make a choice between a true x-receiver who can play any wr role on the field with this kind of character or a slot receiver whose yardage fell off without the other guy on the field and who has a lot of non-football interests on his mind then the choice is easy in my opinion. ideally we keep both though

i didn't hold this against strahan or osi and im not holding it against either of these guys. they'll be in giants uniform this season unless they get traded and that's all i care about. the truth is it's time to give at least one of these guys a deal

You mean the $8M/Yr on the table for Cruz isn't a deal? And Nicks is still under contract.

i think cruz's 33% yardage drop last season and nicks' relatively similar numbers before and after cruz came to the team speaks volumes about who relies on who.

nicks missed 6 games in 3 years before last season, 3 of which were with that fluky compartment syndrome thing. his foot got stepped on by a well-known dirty safety cuz he was lighting them up for 199 yards in week 2. the injury-prone rap is undeserved as far as i'm concerned.

the guy had the greatest superbowl run by any wide receiver ever. he's quiet, he doesn't cause trouble, he's not an attention whore, he doesn't care about making himself a brand--all he cares about is playing football. the guy is the absolute antithesis of a wr diva. i wish we had 53 guys like him. if we have to make a choice between a true x-receiver who can play any wr role on the field with this kind of character or a slot receiver whose yardage fell off without the other guy on the field and who has a lot of non-football interests on his mind then the choice is easy in my opinion. ideally we keep both though

Dude no one is saying Nicks sucks... it's the way he's going about not even talking about his contract that gets people upset.

You mean the $8M/Yr on the table for Cruz isn't a deal? And Nicks is still under contract.

no, it's not a deal. it's an offer. what my post meant was that because they are both 1 year away from UFA it's time for one of these two to have a long-term contract.

Dude no one is saying Nicks sucks... it's the way he's going about not even talking about his contract that gets people upset.

i'm arguing in favor of nicks if the issue is that we have to choose between the two receivers. i am not arguing against whether or not he sucks.

talking about his contract with whom? the media? i'm glad he isn't. the team? i'm sure his agent and the team have had discussions. it's not out of the ordinary for a star player to make a small amount of noise when he's a year away from unrestricted free agency--and that's all missing a day of OTA's is: a little noise

no, it's not a deal. it's an offer. what my post meant was that because they are both 1 year away from UFA it's time for one of these two to have a long-term contract.

And the offer is there... has been sitting on the table... but that's neither here or there. Fuck it.

And there doesn't have to be a choice... if you want a new contract SAY SOMETHING... not showing up to work is a lame way of sending a message... and don't give me it's not mandatory either.

why are you so sure he hasn't said something? in all likelihood he has communicated the desire for a new contract to the giants front office either himself and/or through his agents.

players skip offseason workouts and training camp all the time. strahan did it, osi did it. contracts were eventually signed and they were still great giants. it's just part of the business. it's way too early to get annoyed at either one of these guys

why are you so sure he hasn't said something? in all likelihood he has communicated the desire for a new contract to the giants front office either himself and/or through his agents.

players skip offseason workouts and training camp all the time. strahan did it, osi did it. contracts were eventually signed and they were still great giants. it's just part of the business. it's way too early to get annoyed at either one of these guys

Strahan is a great Giant and when he did it, it didn't sit well with me as a fan... Osi was never a great Giant... good fucking riddance.

http://sports.yahoo....-144356456.html

Correction: Hakeem Nicks' absence at Giants' workout not tied to contract situation

5 hours ago

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – New York Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks was honored as a hero in the New York area at an event Tuesday night, but missed the team's workout session Wednesday, which was erroneously reported by Yahoo! Sports as a form of protest for contractual reasons.

orleans-saints-v-york-giants-20121209-173420-016.jpgHakeem Nicks had 53 catches for 692 yards last season. (Getty)A team source, who had previously suggested to Y! Sports that Nicks may have been unhappy with his contract situation, clarified Thursday morning that he didn't know exactly why Nicks was gone and was making what he felt was an educated guess.

"We've all talked about our contracts and the things we've been through, like what's going on with [wide receiver Victor] Cruz," the source said, referring to Cruz's refusal to sign a one-year restricted free agent tender for $2.879 million. "When you talk about money and what you think the team is doing right or wrong, sometimes feelings get really hard."

Nicks, the team's first-round draft pick in 2009, is going into the final season of his five-year contract.

Nick's agent Peter Schaffer has declined to discuss with Y! Sports why Nicks missed Wednesday's session. However, Giants coach Tom Coughlin had hard feelings about Nicks' absence Wednesday because, apparently, he had not been informed about why Nicks not in attendance. Coughlin said he had expected Nicks to be there.

On Tuesday night, however, Nicks was honored by the United Way of New York as a "Hometown Hero." Nicks and New York Jets cornerback Kyle Wilson were given the awards at the 20th annual Gridiron Gala.

Y! Sports regrets the error.

Strahan is a great Giant and when he did it, it didn't sit well with me as a fan... Osi was never a great Giant... good fucking riddance.

arguing over a tiny semantic doesn't change the point i was making but being a pro-bowl and all-pro player for a team and being one of the best players on two superbowl teams makes you a great giant in my book. he's not strahan or taylor or eli or simms but a poor attitude shouldn't factor into what he did for us

arguing over a tiny semantic doesn't change the point i was making but being a pro-bowl and all-pro player for a team and being one of the best players on two superbowl teams makes you a great giant in my book. he's not strahan or taylor or eli or simms but a poor attitude shouldn't factor into what he did for us

That's fine... I just don't see him even hold Strahan's jock strap. That's just my opinion though.

I am not sure what the big deal is here. It`s OTAs. If he wants to skip because he just feels like taking a nap all the day it`s his prerogative and old man Coughlin doesn`t make that decision. Considering how good Nicks and Cruz have been they don`t need OTAs. New players like Murphy do.

I am not sure what the big deal is here. It`s OTAs. If he wants to skip because he just feels like taking a nap all the day it`s his prerogative and old man Coughlin doesn`t make that decision. Considering how good Nicks and Cruz have been they don`t need OTAs. New players like Murphy do.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here based on 2 factors: one Eli stated practice is important to get timing right... the more practice the better (pre-empting your comeback about Training Camp in July). And two: This guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d29VsG35DQM

Iverson has a point though. Nicks and Cruz hardly need any extra reps since they are already elite. What they need to do is stay conditioned until training camp and not get injured doing meaningless pickup. As far as I am concerned I think all veterans should train on their own and skip OTAs if they want to. Also DJ Steve Porter`s mix is awesome.

This^

While I don't think it's a huge deal, I'd take Eli's word about how the reps are needed over Iverson's little rant about 'practice'.

Calvin Johnson is at his OTA's.

'Zackly :TU: