SportsWrath

Unreal....Gints tradeup for Nassib!

BleedinBlue

Back to keeping thngs in perspective

The Basics:

- 254 college players were drafted in this year's draft

- more than 300 UDFA's will be brought into camp

- nearly half the kids drafted this past week will be cut or put on the practice squad

- only a handful of UDFA's will be offered a job

- only about half of first round draft picks are still in the NFL after 5 years

- the percentage of those drafted players falling out of the NFL within 5 years goes up exponentially after those chosen in the first round

- only about 10% of the players drafted in the fourth round are still in the NFL within 5 years and their value is that of a role player sharing duties

- From Medical News Today, "For 1,889 players listed on 32 NFL team rosters in 2008, the average longevity was 4.6 years, with only 7 percent of players having experience in the league beyond 10 years. Four of five players with the greatest longevity (more than 18 years) were punters or kickers (the other, a few quarterbacks).

- NFL longevity by position on average: Shortest careers - RB (avg 2.57 years) WR (2.81 yrs) CB (2.94 years) S (3.02 years), LB (3.07 years) etc...longest - p / k (12.24 years) QB (9.18 years) OL (7.46 years). Note: this is based on the average of all players at those positions and obviously, some players exceed that by a lot while the career of others is over before it starts.

- on average, 25% of all NFL players get injured during the season requiring some kind of medical attention (again - there is a correlation between position played and the number of injuries sustained)

In short...the draft is a friggin crap shoot! 1st rounders are a flip of a coin on what you are going to get, 2nd and 3rd is like flipping a coin 2 or 3 times hoping for "heads" or "tails" twice in a row, by the fourth round you are rolling a dice needing it land on "1", by the seventh round, your rolling a handful of dice needing a yahtzee.

So when you are a GM drafting in the fourth round and see a player ranked as a 1st rounder and at worst, a second rounder who is clean as a whistle, high character, never had an injury...and he hasn't fallen because of drugs or legal troubles or has severe character issues...you simply HAVE TO TAKE HIM if you have a brain in your head!!!

Now considering the Giants situation, we've been lucky to have a solid and very durable QB...with an emphasis on the word "lucky". Eli is 32 years old, Ryan Nassib is nearly 10 years younger. Carr will turn 34 in July. Carr has also proven that he has a mental condition called the "sack jitters" that has caused him to become a backup QB that will lose more games for the team than wins. This is a problem if anything at all happens to Eli - even if Eli has an emergency appendectomy or has hernia surgery or suddenly starts passing kidney stones....all maladies that are common with aging and require several weeks of recovery. And of course, there is always the possibility of Eli actually getting hurt from a monster hit - in which case, we are screwed if we are expecting Carr to step in and carry the team into the playoffs.

Nassib is a great player in the mold of Eli - extremely confident, quiet leader that encourages everyone else, strong arm with pin point accuracy, student of the game, interprets defenses and knows what to do, has timing down to an art, and never panics. In fact, the two areas in which I think Nassib is actually better than Eli (I can hear the moans all the way through my computer) is that he knows when to throw the ball away rather than throwing the ball into heavy traffic where an interception could cost you the game and also will pass up a throwing play when it's obvious that coverage of his target is too solid. Of course, Nassib doesn't have the NFL experience under his belt as Eli does so there's no comparison at this point, but he's going to be a good QB and will soak up everything he can from Eli and will learn everything he can. I believe Nassib is a better QB than Barkley considering the complimenting players each one had in college.

Personally, I think the Giants have no intention of trading Nassib away and plan on grooming him into an Eli-type QB who can assure us that the season is not over if Eli can't play for awhile. I believe the team has always been worried about having to rely on Carr in that situation.

And in the 4th round....that is an utter and complete steal where a different player taken at that point would more than likely be out of football in 5 years or at best, be a role player that takes up space on the roster.

Best picks of 2013 NFL draft

By Bill Polian

ESPN Insider

ncf_u_nassib_b1_576.jpg Ryan Nassib could be the QB of the future for the New York Giants.

Throughout the seven rounds and 254 picks of the 2013 NFL draft, there were a lot of players with very impressive college careers welcomed into the professional ranks. And as I review all of the selections now, I'm reminded of one very important fact: All of those college titles, stats and accolades mean precisely zero in terms of their future in the NFL. The slate is wiped clean. From now on, the success of every player in this draft, be it No. 1 overall pick Eric Fisher or Mr. Irrelevant Justice Cunningham, will be determined by how hard they work and apply themselves on the pro playing fields.

As we reflect on the draft, we have a tendency to weight the higher picks more than players selected in later rounds. It's a natural inclination, but it's a faulty one. While they may not have stood out as much as their top-round counterparts in college, they have the same opportunity to succeed in the NFL. Just ask Joe Montana. Just ask Tom Brady. Just ask Alfred Morris.

In reviewing my favorite picks from the 2013 draft, that's a factor I keep at the top of my mind. And it's a big reason I think that the New York Giants landed a tremendous asset by taking Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib.

As I mentioned before the draft, there were no quarterbacks that I believed warranted an early selection. But that doesn't mean the position is devoid of talent. Just that these prospects need time to develop and make use of some of their tools and ability. With Nassib, he's going to get precisely that.

Playing behind Eli Manning, there will be no rush in his development. He can sit back, watch and learn, all while providing the Giants with a terrific safety net in the event of an injury to Eli and perhaps even proving to be Manning's successor.

By Nassib's third year in the pros, Manning will be 35, an age at which statistics have shown QBs usually start to break down physically. Their skills may not have diminished, but the accumulation of the punishment they've endured starts to take its toll and injury becomes far more common. By the time that starts to impact Eli, Nassib should be experienced to the point where the Giants will feel comfortable inserting him into a game and still feeling they have better than a 50-percent chance to win.

It may have seemed like a strange pick because quarterback isn't an immediate need for the Giants. But this pick was made with the long view in mind. And I think it was a very savvy selection.

Here are 12 more that stood out to me as particularly strong choices based on the information we have on these prospects right now. nfl_u_joekk99_cr_288.jpg Luke Joeckel can help lead a culture change in Jacksonville.

No. 2 Luke Joeckel and No. 33 Johnathan Cyprien, Jacksonville Jaguars

Coming into the draft, I though Jacksonville needed to add impact players. Both Joeckel and Cyprien give them that, but they also give them something more. The Jaguars needed a culture change after several down seasons. Both Joeckel and Cyprien can foster that change by being leaders on either side of the ball.

No. 3 Dion Jordan, Miami Dolphins

Miami stunned some by moving up and taking a defensive end over an offensive tackle, but I like what Jordan provides them. He'll be able to provide a pass-rush on Day 1 and will be a great complement to Cameron Wake. It's clear the Dolphins feel they can compete right now, and Jordan can be a part of that win-now equation.

No. 7 Jonathan Cooper, Arizona Cardinals

No. 10 Chance Warmack, Tennessee Titans

Guard is not a sexy position when it comes to the draft, but both of these teams added terrific guards that will significantly shore up their offensive lines. The Cardinals suffered from a porous line, but showed some signs of improvement at tackle towards the end of the season. Cooper will help establish the run game, which will keep defenses from pinning back their ears and charging after new QB Carson Palmer. Likewise, RB Chris Johnson should be reinvigorated with the arrival of Warmack in Tennessee, particularly with free agent Andy Levitre also on board.

No. 9 Dee Milliner and No. 13 Sheldon Richardson, New York Jets

These two players were at the top of GM John Idzik's board when these picks rolled around and he took them. In Rex Ryan's defensive scheme, they'll pay dividends. Of course, this draft will be defined by the performance of second-round pick Geno Smith. Still, I like what the Jets did in Round 1.

No. 18 Eric Reid, San Francisco 49ers

The Niners had a great draft overall, and I really liked Reid. In this defensive scheme, Reid fills a critical position. That said, there will be a learning curve and it may take the rookie some time to get his bearings. He may start slowly, but I bet he makes larger contributions as the season goes on.

No. 21 Tyler Eifert, No. 37 Giovani Bernard, No. 53 Margus Hunt, Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals got a big boost with Eifert falling to them at 21. Tight end wasn't a glaring need with Jermaine Gresham already in the fold, but it was the right move to draft Eifert. Along with Bernard, who will be a versatile, pass-catching option out of the backfield, the Bengals really improved their offense for the coming season. And I expect Hunt to further bolster an already impressive Bengals defensive line.

No. 58 Montee Ball, Denver Broncos

Peyton Manning got a lot of help this offseason and I see Ball as being one of the few missing components for this offense. A top-notch RB like Ball solves a real problem for them and will be a reliable back. He catches the ball well enough, but Peyton seldom checks down to his running backs, preferring to use the slot or tight end instead as his safety valve. Ball's value in the passing game will come as an additional pass protector, something he can do very well.

Time will tell how well this strategy works out. Poor kid is following a legend and that's tough for any athlete. One thing can be certain, and that is Nassib will give everything he's got to glean what he can from Eli's knowledge and he will put in 100% effort and time into developing into the best QB he can be. He's got the arm, the accuracy, and incredible composure in the pocket (unlike Carr). He is definitely a pocket QB and is a cerebral type that relies on figuring out, understanding, and exploiting defensive schemes rather than getting fooled and taking off on his legs like the type of QB that seems to be what a lot of teams want these days. Personally, I'll take a thinking QB over a running QB every time.