SportsWrath

Johnathen Hankins.

BlueInCanada

Draft Analysis:

"Maybe the best ball skills of any of them. This kid's got great ball skills. He's a gifted hands catcher. He will be a great short and intermediate catcher for the Dallas Cowboys." -- Mike Mayock

• 6'3" Height
  • 33" Arm Length
  • 320LBS. Weight
  • 9 1/2" Hands

Overview

Similar to Vernon Gholston a few years back, Hankins was a three-star high school recruit out of Michigan who the Buckeyes lured to Columbus. His size, power, and athleticism made him a two-time all-state pick at Southeastern High School, but his hustle in combination with those physical attributes is what gives him a chance to be a first round prospect in much the same way Dan Big Daddy Wilkinson was with the Buckeyes before he became the last defensive tackle selected No. 1 overall by the Cincinnati Bengals in 1994.

Ohio State coaches liked what they saw from Big Hank as a true freshman in 2010 (16 tackles, 1.5 for loss) so much that they played him in every game and named him the teams most outstanding first-year defender. As a sophomore, he was the Buckeyes most outstanding defensive player and earned honorable mention All-Big Ten honors (by coaches and media) after making 68 stops, 11 for loss and three sacks. Hankins still decided to slim down a bit after the 2011 season to add increased stamina and quickness. He started all 12 games for the Buckeyes as a junior again and earned First Team All-Big Ten honors with 55 tackles, 4 for loss and one sack. Knowing his combination of size, strength and quickness would be attractive at the next level, Hankins decided to skip his senior year in Columbus and go pro.

Analysis

Strengths

Nice job against the run, tracking the play with his eyes and using his body to force the issue. Taller nose tackle prospect with thick upper body and extra girth in the middle. Plays all over the line, often outside the tackle despite his build because of his rare agility. Extends to shrug off blocks and uses his hands to bully blockers, controlling the POA and setting the edge when playing outside. Has extremely strong hands to secure tackles and finish plays once he gets his hands on the ballcarrier. Comes off the ball hard and quick for his size, will win a gap and blow up plays in the backfield if linemen dont get to the reach-block. Drives back NFL-caliber guards into the backfield and holds up doubles, does not give ground even against better players. Works down the line to get to ballcarriers while engaged, and hustles downfield and to the sideline if needed. Three-down player, on the field for a lot of snaps considering his bulk.

Weaknesses

Lacks the burst to be an elite pass rusher, though he can make quarterbacks uncomfortable in the pocket. Can play with high pads, giving better linemen a chance to stand him up. Relies too much on his upper body strength at times and needs to play with consistent leverage. He uses his body too much and needs to consistently utilize his hands and limbs. Must keep his weight under control to maximize his athleticism, and make sure he doesnt lose his strength and hustle at the end of games. He tends to wear down throughout the course of a game, looking fatigued and noticeably taking plays off. Hankins battled a minor knee sprain the past two seasons, wearing a brace much of the time.

NFL Comparison

Terrance Knighton

Bottom Line

Hankins, who carried the nickname Big John or Big Hank around Ohio States campus, is a load to handle on the defensive line with flashes of impressive fluidity and coordination skills for a big man. He played all over the defense line in college, lining up both outside at DE and inside at DT. Hankins rarely left the field and his coaches talk positively about his football character, but he often looked fatigued and worn down throughout games, meaning his snaps (and weight) will need to be monitored at the next level. Hankins has a rare combination of size, strength and foot quickness for a defensive lineman to be a force against both the run and the pass. Although he only looks half-speed at times when his tank isnt full, Hankins can tear through blocks like paper - a potential top-12 pick with the versatility to line up as a traditional 3-technique DT in a four-man front or an effective two-gapping 0-technique NT for a 3-4 defense.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/johnathan-hankins?id=2540147

He's a run stopper, which is what the Giants need.

Fat, takes plays off.......Marvin Austin II

Bad pick considering how shitty our back seven played last year.

And yet all his strengths talk about the hustle he gives and how he chases down players.

As bad as our back seven was, the front four was worse and you know the Giant's are about getting those lines as solid as possible.

Fat, takes plays off.......Marvin Austin II

Bad pick considering how shitty our back seven played last year.

I think pretty much every DL takes plays off... this guy hustles and his weaknesses are correctable... in a DT "fat" is a good thing... although I think he's very muscular not a slob. I know I know we need to address the LB situation... but we get better value out of these guys...you get a linebacker now and suddenly your DT position is a huge weakness... besides there are a few more rounds to go... I like our draft so far.

I like it. Our run defense has been awful and that starts on the line. With Jenkins a stopgap and not seeing anything from Austin I think it's good to bring another guy in.

Actually, the porous d-line is half the reason our linebackers seem worse than they are. They frequently have to bail out the line. The more solid the d-line, the better our current linebackers are going to be. Our line has never really been the same since we lost Cofield.

Love it, Pugh and Hankins are better combo then Floyd and Watson to me

we wouldn't have been able to get Watson in the second at our spot anyway, but I believe both Floyd and Wataon will be better players than these guys. This is not a 'throw your remote' draft. But I do believe this will go down as one of the worst drafts for Reese in recent memory, conceding he made the bar pretty high.