SportsWrath

What position do the Giants take in the draft?

BlueInCanada

What do the Giants take?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Round 1

• QB
    • OL
    • RB
    • WR
    • FB
    • TE
    • Inside LB
    • Outside LB
    • DT
    • DE
    • CB
    • S
    • P
    • K
    • Best player on the board

So the draft is under a week away and every hour there seems to be a new mock draft by some new expert with some new bold trade or prediction of a pick.

The draft is never a sure fire thing, first round players who never live up to the expectation, late round players who end up in the HoF after 20 years, it's almost more of an art of playing the draft then it is a scientific measurment of who to take. Some GMs do it a lot better then others, while the rest struggle to keep drafted players on the team for multiple seasons.

Anways instead of the usual "Who do we pick?" since as I've mentioned the draft is a crap shoot and JR does his own thing, I figured why not see what position Sportswrath thinks we are gonna end up taking with the first pick of this draft.

Feel free to add how you think the other rounds are going to play out.

Best player available for sure (but it will be one of four positions (IMHO).....LB, OL, DE, S). I will be shocked if the Giants go with an offensive player (well....offensive line excluded) such as a WR or RB. The NY Post says Giants will go with MLB Alec Ogletree. Man I hope not. Enormous talent......but right in line with Pacman Jones, another enormous talent. I don't see the Giants going with someone who is so riddled with personal problems and genuine character flaws. I expect them to take one of the following: DE Bjoern Werner; MLB Manti Te’o; OT D.J. Fluker; or S Kenny Vaccaro. Of the four, Vaccaro is most likely to go ahead of pick 19, although it's possible all 4 will be gone. The Giants' front office is probably drooling at the possibilities they'll have Thursday night. Personally....I like Werner for the first pick. He's an animal in the mold of JPP (raw, athletic, hungry)

I'm going oline, just seems like there is too much first round talent at oline. I wouldn't mind seeing us take3 or even 4 olineman since this draft is supposed to be full of them.

I have us going Fluker round one, maybe Frederick round two.

I don't know much about specific players, I havn't paid as much attention to the draft class this year. But all I hear online is how deep this years oline class is, and with our line old and spotty, might be time a good year toi just reload it.

Best player available shouldn't have been an option...

I chose OL and It's not beyod the realm of possibilities the Giants go OL in the first 2 rounds. Yes part of me wants Olgertree but passing on a solid Snee-like OL is not smart.

Fluker would be a great pick. Diehl is past his prime and Fluker could step right in and solidify the right side of the line for the next five years or more. On the other hand....once again, we really need to upgrade our linebackers - especially in the middle. Conner isn't going to be the end all to our problems there. And with Osi gone and Tuck losing a step, a DE is really important ..... as well as Safety now that we've lost Philips. Coughlin has always said that the game is won in the trenches so I suspect either an OT or DE is high on his list. Still....the Giants have a habit of snatching the best player that fell through the cracks to them and it's usually worked out well for them. I remember when we snatched Manningham with a late 3rd rd comp pick even though he was rated as a top 15 player, but his character issues made him drop. If the same thing happened to Ogletree, I can see us grabbing him in the 2nd rd and Coughlin and Reese taking him to the shed for one of those long closed door talks about getting his act together. The Giants seem to be the only team capable of getting bad character guys to straighten their lives out. It will be interesting for sure.

Fluker would be a great pick. Diehl is past his prime and Fluker could step right in and solidify the right side of the line for the next five years or more. On the other hand....once again, we really need to upgrade our linebackers - especially in the middle. Conner isn't going to be the end all to our problems there. And with Osi gone and Tuck losing a step, a DE is really important ..... as well as Safety now that we've lost Philips. Coughlin has always said that the game is won in the trenches so I suspect either an OT or DE is high on his list. Still....the Giants have a habit of snatching the best player that fell through the cracks to them and it's usually worked out well for them. I remember when we snatched Manningham with a late 3rd rd comp pick even though he was rated as a top 15 player, but his character issues made him drop. If the same thing happened to Ogletree, I can see us grabbing him in the 2nd rd and Coughlin and Reese taking him to the shed for one of those long closed door talks about getting his act together. The Giants seem to be the only team capable of getting bad character guys to straighten their lives out. It will be interesting for sure.

Who gives a fuck about Osi? Osi gone is addition by subtraction... he was worthless out there.. I don't give a fuck how many strip sacks he got... for each on of those he allowed runners and QBs to run past him 20 times...

Yes I want a LB but we need an OL to open up lanes for Wilson... If Fluker is here, we are taking him... Warmack is right up there too.. Now I don't know who will be there in the 2nd round but it really is a crap shoot in terms of which position you want to fill and the BPA will prevail... if Olgertree is there in the 2nd, which is very slim.. to none, we are taking him...

Again I can't stand Osi... he fucking sucked. Kiwi is much better at that position than him anyway.

Who gives a fuck about Osi? Osi gone is addition by subtraction... he was worthless out there.. I don't give a fuck how many strip sacks he got... for each on of those he allowed runners and QBs to run past him 20 times...

Yes I want a LB but we need an OL to open up lanes for Wilson... If Fluker is here, we are taking him... Warmack is right up there too.. Now I don't know who will be there in the 2nd round but it really is a crap shoot in terms of which position you want to fill and the BPA will prevail... if Olgertree is there in the 2nd, which is very slim.. to none, we are taking him...

Again I can't stand Osi... he fucking sucked. Kiwi is much better at that position than him anyway.

Coughlin has already said that he's moving Kiwi to DE this year.....which means an even more glaring hole at linebacker with the loss of Boley and Blackburn. I think Herzlick is the future and Conner is a plug-in for now, but with 3 starting LB's gone....there's a hole. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if they grab T'eo. T'eo is slow, but a good leader. Too bad there's all that crap hanging over his head about a fake girlfriend. The Giants don't need distractions. With the exception of beefing up the O-line, the Giants really have to improve their defense which ranked 31st last year. Losing Kenny Philips didn't help, although Stevie Brown seems to have really come into his own and Will Hill also seems to have gotten into NFL shape. Philips was hurt so often that maybe it won't make a big difference anyway. The Giants trademark for the last decade has been the pass rush and that has really gone down hill. I can see the Giants going DE in the first round if a stud is sitting there for the taking. Fluker is NFL ready, but the book on him is that he's a slow bull - great for helping RB's get their yards, but gets beat by speedy DE's that swing around him. It'll be a tough call for NY on Thursday unless some real stud player just happens to fall in their laps. I'd be shocked if the Giants grabbed a TE, but after losing Boss....then Ballard....and now Bennett - TE is again a need. If Tyler Eifert is still on the board (highly unlikely)...I can see the Giants making everyone's jaw drop and snatching him up. It's happened a couple of times (JPP, Prince, etc.) and they were positions that were not high on the list of needs.

Coughlin has already said that he's moving Kiwi to DE this year.....which means an even more glaring hole at linebacker with the loss of Boley and Blackburn. I think Herzlick is the future and Conner is a plug-in for now, but with 3 starting LB's gone....there's a hole. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if they grab T'eo. T'eo is slow, but a good leader. Too bad there's all that crap hanging over his head about a fake girlfriend. The Giants don't need distractions. With the exception of beefing up the O-line, the Giants really have to improve their defense which ranked 31st last year. Losing Kenny Philips didn't help, although Stevie Brown seems to have really come into his own and Will Hill also seems to have gotten into NFL shape. Philips was hurt so often that maybe it won't make a big difference anyway. The Giants trademark for the last decade has been the pass rush and that has really gone down hill. I can see the Giants going DE in the first round if a stud is sitting there for the taking. Fluker is NFL ready, but the book on him is that he's a slow bull - great for helping RB's get their yards, but gets beat by speedy DE's that swing around him. It'll be a tough call for NY on Thursday unless some real stud player just happens to fall in their laps. I'd be shocked if the Giants grabbed a TE, but after losing Boss....then Ballard....and now Bennett - TE is again a need. If Tyler Eifert is still on the board (highly unlikely)...I can see the Giants making everyone's jaw drop and snatching him up. It's happened a couple of times (JPP, Prince, etc.) and they were positions that were not high on the list of needs.

We're set at TE for the next few years.

That being said, I can see the Giants taking Fluker as he's an instant upgrade over Diehl. I doubt Olgertree lasts till the 2nd round and any of the top 5 OLs which is why I think the Giants may.. just may go for Teo if he's there. NFL mock drafts never work because the moment one player is gone from the sequence it's a domino-effect.

Also, if this head-case from LSU (Tyrann Mathieu - CB) is there in the 3rd, the Giants may snatch him.

Guest StrahansGap

I went with OL. It's a no brainer. Diehl's last year, Snee hinting at retirement, Boothe only on a one year deal and Bass with his surgeries makes OL their most glaring need. I understand the LB vote but don't forget we have Eli. Our QB needs time to throw the ball, especially that he's getting older and less mobile. Take the best OL on the board and pray he pans out.

They will take defensive line....whether it's tackle or end, I don't know.

Only if they think that Werner guy is a white JP. And even then I would think not taking Fluker maybe a huge mistake. I'm with BB25... Fluker it is.. if he's there.

I'm guessing they draft a defense end with a goofy sounding name.

Linebacker will wait until the 6th round, and then it will be someone who is white and slow, that should boost special teams.

I'm guessing they draft a defense end with a goofy sounding name.

Linebacker will wait until the 6th round, and then it will be someone who is white and slow, that should boost special teams.

To be fair we can use a DL, OL, and LB so the BPA out of the 3 is viable... and this draft is not LB heavy. Minter is a bit slow for my taste and I think getting a stud DE or a mauling OL will set us up very nicely... Don't forget we do have some young LBs with a bit of experience so it's not like some rook is going to suddenly improve our LB corp...

In my opinion (for what it's worth), a first round pick needs to be a DIFFERENCE MAKER. There will only be a couple of players left on the board that will be true difference makers - that is, if the Giants are lucky. If not, they should trade down. I like Fluker, but he is not going to be playing ahead of Diehl. He'll spell him off and on, but he won't take over the position. Hell....he might not even beat out Brewer who has been groomed for the position. Another thing to think about, is that a team wraps up an incredible amount of cap space on a first round player.....so he better be a difference maker. Do we really want tens of millions wrapped up on a RT when for half that we could probably get a proven FA? And it has been pointed out by several analysts that Fluker is a bulldozer that plods and pushes the line, but his Achilles heel is that he's so slow that he can't stop DE's who go around him. A difference maker might be a killer linebacker like Ogletree (if his character issues can be properly addressed) who is a monster of a linebacker who is superfast, gets sacks, turns on a dime, is a ball hawk, etc. Another difference maker would be a DE that constantly disrupts the line of scrimmage and has the QB throwing off his heals. Bjoern Werner might be that guy...I don't know, but it sure would be nice to have a bookend to JPP. Another difference maker would be Tyler Eifert, a huge TE that is as quick as a WR and catches unbelievable catches in traffic, yet is also a monster for blocking. He is being touted as the best TE to come out of college in a decade and he's only a junior. With his blocking skills, he could take on the DE's that slip around Diehl better than a first round OT like Fluker. Regardless....as much as I like Fluker, I'm not sure I want to wrap a big piece of our cap space on a guy who will not start this year and has a weakness for letting fast DE's get around him. I want the player we pick to make a DIFFERENCE and a difference THIS YEAR, not down the road. I guess it all goes back to, "In Reese we Trust".

It's gonna be either DE or OL. I want Tank Carradine or DJ Fluker if I had to choose one of each position. Tank just had his workout on Saturday after he tore his ACL in November. He ran a 4.75 forty time less than six months after the injury... The Giants weren't at the workout, but they did meet with him at the combine. Fluker is going to dominate at guard, but they can play him at right tackle and he will still be solid. He's gonna get beat in pass protection, but he can't be any worse than Diehl... right?

It's gonna be either DE or OL. I want Tank Carradine or DJ Fluker if I had to choose one of each position. Tank just had his workout on Saturday after he tore his ACL in November. He ran a 4.75 forty time less than six months after the injury... The Giants weren't at the workout, but they did meet with him at the combine. Fluker is going to dominate at guard, but they can play him at right tackle and he will still be solid. He's gonna get beat in pass protection, but he can't be any worse than Diehl... right?

Not something I want to spend my 1st round pick on.

Not something I want to spend my 1st round pick on.

I have to agree with Naz here. Carradine is a stud, but coming off of surgery for a torn ACL has red flags all over it. He'd definitely be worth a 2nd round pick with the hopes that lightning strikes and he's forever pain free and has no residual effects from the surgery. If he stays healthy, he's probably the top DE in the entire draft - bar none. But if he can't stay healthy, it's pissing tens of millions of dollars down the drain.