SportsWrath

David Diehl Receives Coveted Award

hlb37

Nice write up in this week's TMQ

Now the 2011 Tuesday Morning Quarterback Non-Quarterback Non-Running Back NFL MVP -- David Diehl, left tackle of the Jersey/A Giants.

On his best days Diehl is not the NFL's best left tackle, or even as good, athletically, as Matt Light, who will start at left tackle for the Patriots. (Light was the 2007 TMQ NQB NRB MVP, and my award does not allow repeat recipients.) What Diehl brings to the table is consistently high-level performance. He rarely allows sacks, rarely misses run blocks and never takes downs off. Watch tape and you'll see that even in NFL big games, there are an amazing number of downs on which at least one lineman simply brushes his man and then stands there doing nothing. Diehl never stands there doing nothing. He's always working.

Drafted by the Giants in the fifth round out of Illinois, Diehl became an immediate starter at left tackle, and has remained the team's left tackle starter for nine seasons. He has missed only four games to injuries in his career, starting 150 of a possible 154 games. Thus he's not just a good player -- he has been a good player for almost every game for nine years.

page2_a_diehl_gb1_200.jpg

AP Photo/Bill KostrounThe 2011 TMQ NQB NRB NFL MVP.

This year's NFC Pro Bowl choices at offensive tackle are Jerome Bushrod, Jason Peters and Joe Staley. They're all top performers but consider their starts -- Peters has started 98 games, Staley has started 68 games, Bushrod has started 49 games. Diehl has performed at a high level significantly longer than any of them.

Offensive linemen tend to be noticed mainly when they blow their assignments. Diehl has started for nine seasons for one of the NFL's highest-profile clubs and drawn hardly any notice: The reason is that he doesn't blow his assignments. Diehl is the kind of player who will never hear the crowd chant his name -- but with him at the most important line position in football, the Giants have won the Super Bowl once, won their division thrice, and take the field for the Super Bowl again this coming Sunday.

Congratulations to David Diehl, the 2011 Tuesday Morning Quarterback Non-Quarterback Non-Running Back NFL MVP.

a hall of fame player?

i like dave but really?

the guy is 31 has been moved to just about every position on the line and has played there well. How many olinemen can you name that are HOF'ers? Art Shell? Louis Creekmure? The guy hasn't been named an all pro or probowler as many times but he also hasn't played the same position. I'm not saying it's not a stretch I'm saying this is how I feel. Which ultimately means nothing.

the guy is 31 has been moved to just about every position on the line and has played there well. How many olinemen can you name that are HOF'ers? Art Shell? Louis Creekmure? The guy hasn't been named an all pro or probowler as many times but he also hasn't played the same position. I'm not saying it's not a stretch I'm saying this is how I feel. Which ultimately means nothing.

There can be made a case for him if we win Sunday.

Dave's only crime is that he's not an all-pro. But I agree, the guys has been very dependable. Sure, he gives up sacks on occasion, but that just comes with the territory.

Personally, I like him at LT alot more than LG, and was glad when he moved back.

Next season, I hope he is around, either as a starter or a backup, depending on who is drafted and who is healthy. I've always been a huge Diehl fan.

The dude that wrote the article has no idea what he's talking about.

Diehl was drafted as a guard, moved to RT (where he flopped), was put back at Guard, then moved to LT when we got rid of Luke Petitgout.

He's played three positions on the line. He wasn't an "immediate starter at left tackle, and has remained the team's left tackle starter for nine seasons."

Wow. Gregg Easterbrook is a talented writer, but he obviously hasn't watched much Giants football this year and is unqualified to talk intelligently about the Giants at least, possibly about football at all.

I have a lot of love for Dave Diehl. If he was such a great LT, he wouldn't have lost his job to Will Beatty, who is no All-Pro himself. He played much of the year at LG, where he was abused on a weekly basis. For crying out loud, much of the year his nickname was the human turnstile. His saving grace this year is that when Beatty went on IR, he did solidify the line and proved he is a better LT than a Guard, for sure. I am glad he's on the team, but I have no desire to ever see him "play" on the interior ever again. That was not easy to watch.

He hasn't even been the most valuable guy on our own offensive line. I'd say Chris Snee or Kevin Boothe. But as for a Giant, who is not a QB or RB, the MVP has to be one of 3 players, Victor Cruz, Corey Webster, or Jason Pierre-Paul.

Webster has been consistent, playing the opposing team's top receiver week in and week out, and most of the season, he has made them non-factors. Shutting down a receiving option makes the other 10 players better, because he can handle that guy one on one, and that's one less threat the opposing team really has to hurt us with, and it frees up the safeties to focus more on Ross' side or to cheat up in the box.

Cruz has been the most important piece to this offense, because not only has he been a vertical threat this year, he has been a chain mover as well. He has also turned routine short route throws into long touchdowns. He pretty much replaced the running game when it wasn't there early in the year, and has been as tough a cover for the opponent as there is in the NFL, even if you double him. He put in the hard work to get on the same page with early in the season with not much to build from in terms of last year, and with the lockout-shortened camp/no mini-camp. To be able to have that chemistry with Eli so soon, with the conditions they have had to deal with, can only be described with superlatives. What he's done has been a marvel. When the Giants needed a chain-moving slot receiver, he was that guy. When they needed an outside guy to keep team's honest from devoting too much attention to Nicks', he was that guy. When they needed a #1 receiver threat to make big plays, in big games, in big moments, he was that guy.

As for JPP, everything that has needed to be said has already been said. Out of the three heralded defensive ends, he's the only guy that was in there week in and week out, and he made his presence felt every week. He was dominant against the run and as dominant a pass rusher as anything we've seen in a long time. In terms of impact, he's as important a defensive end already in the entire NFL.

But please, pick David Diehl, who sucked out loud for much of the year. Duh.

Wow. Gregg Easterbrook is a talented writer, but he obviously hasn't watched much Giants football this year and is unqualified to talk intelligently about the Giants at least, possibly about football at all.

I have a lot of love for Dave Diehl. If he was such a great LT, he wouldn't have lost his job to Will Beatty, who is no All-Pro himself. He played much of the year at LG, where he was abused on a weekly basis. For crying out loud, much of the year his nickname was the human turnstile. His saving grace this year is that when Beatty went on IR, he did solidify the line and proved he is a better LT than a Guard, for sure. I am glad he's on the team, but I have no desire to ever see him "play" on the interior ever again. That was not easy to watch.

He hasn't even been the most valuable guy on our own offensive line. I'd say Chris Snee or Kevin Boothe. But as for a Giant, who is not a QB or RB, the MVP has to be one of 3 players, Victor Cruz, Corey Webster, or Jason Pierre-Paul.

Webster has been consistent, playing the opposing team's top receiver week in and week out, and most of the season, he has made them non-factors. Shutting down a receiving option makes the other 10 players better, because he can handle that guy one on one, and that's one less threat the opposing team really has to hurt us with, and it frees up the safeties to focus more on Ross' side or to cheat up in the box.

Cruz has been the most important piece to this offense, because not only has he been a vertical threat this year, he has been a chain mover as well. He has also turned routine short route throws into long touchdowns. He pretty much replaced the running game when it wasn't there early in the year, and has been as tough a cover for the opponent as there is in the NFL, even if you double him. He put in the hard work to get on the same page with early in the season with not much to build from in terms of last year, and with the lockout-shortened camp/no mini-camp. To be able to have that chemistry with Eli so soon, with the conditions they have had to deal with, can only be described with superlatives. What he's done has been a marvel. When the Giants needed a chain-moving slot receiver, he was that guy. When they needed an outside guy to keep team's honest from devoting too much attention to Nicks', he was that guy. When they needed a #1 receiver threat to make big plays, in big games, in big moments, he was that guy.

As for JPP, everything that has needed to be said has already been said. Out of the three heralded defensive ends, he's the only guy that was in there week in and week out, and he made his presence felt every week. He was dominant against the run and as dominant a pass rusher as anything we've seen in a long time. In terms of impact, he's as important a defensive end already in the entire NFL.

But please, pick David Diehl, who sucked out loud for much of the year. Duh.

the guy is 31, has had a great carreer the online sucked balls pretty much this whole year. The most valued player on the oline is the left tackle. His job is paramount to the sucess of the Quaterback. As much as I too thought he was having a bad year, he's played better at that position then Beatty did all season. How can you not give this guy his due most guys don't make it in the league to 31. And he's playing and saving the coaching staff ass and Reeses ass getting plugged back in at LT.

I have a lot of love for Dave Diehl. If he was such a great LT, he wouldn't have lost his job to Will Beatty, who is no All-Pro himself.

Among other things, Diehl has a tiered contract that pays him more for playing LT than any of the other positions on the line. Given how tight things where cao wise this may have played a role in the decision to move him inside. I think they also needed to find out exactly what they have or don't have in Beatty.

the guy is 31, has had a great carreer the online sucked balls pretty much this whole year. The most valued player on the oline is the left tackle. His job is paramount to the sucess of the Quaterback. As much as I too thought he was having a bad year, he's played better at that position then Beatty did all season. How can you not give this guy his due most guys don't make it in the league to 31. And he's playing and saving the coaching staff ass and Reeses ass getting plugged back in at LT.

Firstnten... David Diehl has been a very good player for a long time. Never a great player, but a very good player. But the article and "award" Easterbrook gave him is the non-QB, non-RB MVP for 2011... that's the whole season. David Diehl didn't move back to LT until week 12. And to say he's done BETTER than Beatty, I would not say that he has done that, definitively. I would say he's replaced him well, but I wouldn't go further because Beatty did a damn fine job there for most of the year. My criticism comes from the fact that Diehl played about 10 games this year at LG where he was abused on a weekly basis. Apparently, Easterbrook didn't even know he played LG at all this year. I appreciate David Diehl's career. He has been a great Giant, over the YEARS. But to say he's been the most important or valuable player even on that Offensive line, when he struggled MIGHTILY for 10 games... that's just nonsense. Snee has done a good job all year. Boothe has started at LG and C, and has done an admirable job, essentially bailing this team out time and time again. Even McKenzie has been pretty consistent all year, as opposed to Diehl, who was just plain BAD at LG. It was an experiment that failed miserably.

Now, just considering 2011, can you really say Easterbrook's opinion has any merit whatsoever, especially with what Victor Cruz has done this year, JPP, or Corey Webster? Shit, before I went David Diehl I'd have at least 8 or 9 other guys.

My post wasn't to criticize Diehl the long time Giant, it was to put THIS YEAR in perspective, and the fact that Easterbrook clearly doesn't have a clue and his article was a massive waste.

I am happy with Diehl's play at LT... granted that came in week 12!

Firstnten... David Diehl has been a very good player for a long time. Never a great player, but a very good player. But the article and "award" Easterbrook gave him is the non-QB, non-RB MVP for 2011... that's the whole season. David Diehl didn't move back to LT until week 12. And to say he's done BETTER than Beatty, I would not say that he has done that, definitively. I would say he's replaced him well, but I wouldn't go further because Beatty did a damn fine job there for most of the year. My criticism comes from the fact that Diehl played about 10 games this year at LG where he was abused on a weekly basis. Apparently, Easterbrook didn't even know he played LG at all this year. I appreciate David Diehl's career. He has been a great Giant, over the YEARS. But to say he's been the most important or valuable player even on that Offensive line, when he struggled MIGHTILY for 10 games... that's just nonsense. Snee has done a good job all year. Boothe has started at LG and C, and has done an admirable job, essentially bailing this team out time and time again. Even McKenzie has been pretty consistent all year, as opposed to Diehl, who was just plain BAD at LG. It was an experiment that failed miserably.

Now, just considering 2011, can you really say Easterbrook's opinion has any merit whatsoever, especially with what Victor Cruz has done this year, JPP, or Corey Webster? Shit, before I went David Diehl I'd have at least 8 or 9 other guys.

My post wasn't to criticize Diehl the long time Giant, it was to put THIS YEAR in perspective, and the fact that Easterbrook clearly doesn't have a clue and his article was a massive waste.

I am happy with Diehl's play at LT... granted that came in week 12!

Booth and Dielh both deserve huge props this year. I could care less what the guy who wrote the atricle says. Since Dielh took over at LT IMO he has been the most important player on the oline. On that we will have to disagree.

Also I look at Baas as an average player at best. and let me sat that IMO he CURRENLTY looks that way. When he's not injured he runs hot and cold. and when he's cold he's well below zero.

Also when I say I feel Deihl is a HOF guy I say this with a huge NYG bias. I love what this guy has done for this team, the intangables this guy has are invaluable.