SportsWrath

NFL Dream come true

Firstnten

The NFL may come out with this app next year:

Coaches Film app: A subscription product dedicated to allowing users to view an entire game through “coaches cameras.” So, you can view each play from a high-endzone angle along with a full field view via the all-22 camera angle. In addition, use a telestrator to draw your own X’s and O’s like the coaches, and share specific plays w/ friends.

This should open up some serious discussion. Watching the game on TV is like watching it through that cardboard tube you get when you finish a roll of paper towles.

ESPN was making a big deal about the "all 22" coaches tape earlier this year. When I saw it my immediate reaction was, "just go to the actual game".

But in retrospect it is not that easy. In the old stadium I sat in section 121, row 34, seat 13. ( originally seat 14 but that is a long story ). That seat was dead square between the uprights and basically gave that overhead "all 22" view of the field. It was a great seat.

In the new stadium we moved down to the 7th row and are now offset towards 1 corner. The view, especially from the 50 in is incredible but it is not the same view. In some ways it is better because it is closer and you still have a MUCH, MUCH better perspective than on TV but from a straight X's and O's standpoint you can't beat that high and behind shot of the whole field.

Spygate was about Recording other Teams Practices... This is Game Film.... Big Difference

This game film has been historically calle ALL-22 game film for the simple fact you see all 22 playesr on the field at the same time. There had been a debate on wether or not to allow public access to it for years. Even the networks where not allowed full acceess.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203716204577015903150731054.html

recently I recieved the survey asking how I felt about the NFL offering this service. The blurb in quotes in my initial post is a cut and past from that survey. And Bronx is kinda right in his tounge an cheek assessment albiet it's more so the NFL is concerned about being exposed for more coaching and player mistakes. (See quotes below) The truth of the matter is most NFL fans won't want to waste thier time with this footage. For me as someone who had to spend hours in team meetings in college going over stuff like this I can;t wait to see it.

Charley Casserly, a former general manager who was a member of the NFL's competition committee, says he voted against releasing All-22 footage because he worried that if fans had access, it would open players and teams up to a level of criticism far beyond the current hum of talk radio. Casserly believed fans would jump to conclusions after watching one or two games in the All 22, without knowing the full story.

"I was concerned about misinformation being spread about players and coaches and their ability to do their job," he said. "It becomes a distraction that you have to deal with." Now an analyst for CBS, Casserly takes an hour-and-a-half train once a week to NFL Films headquarters in Mt. Laurel, N.J. just to watch the All-22 film.

Lonnie Marts, a former linebacker for the Jacksonville Jaguars, says there are thousands of former NFL players who could easily pick apart play-calling and player performance if they had access to this film. "If you knew the game, you'd know that sometimes there's a lot of bonehead plays and bonehead coaching going on out there," he says.

After he retired, Marts says he wanted to talk about the Jaguars on a radio show, so he contacted the video guy from the Jaguars—who was a friend—and asked for a couple of game tapes. Marts says he never heard from the guy again.

The NFL makes a handful of plays from the All 22 available on its web site for a fee, but they're often so blurry the players' numbers aren't visible. Earlier this month, the league quietly asked fans, through a survey site, whether they would pay up to $100 to watch an online feed of the All 22.

There had been a debate on wether or not to allow public access to it for years. Even the networks where not allowed full acceess.

I didn't know this. I always assumed they didn't show it because they didn't think people wanted it. With direct streaming technology it only makes sense for the league / media to offer more specialized content. I mean unless your IT guys are complete pikers there is no reason that 3 angles can't be expanded to 6 or 7 etc. Sure you might need to add some servers to increase your upload capacity but the software should be scaleable.

I didn't realize that the league was holding the tape "secret" though. As I alluded to in an earlier post, there are aprox. 80,000 people at every game. Exactly who are they keeping this view "secret" from?

Casserly == Idiot / Savant???

I didn't know this. I always assumed they didn't show it because they didn't think people wanted it. With direct streaming technology it only makes sense for the league / media to offer more specialized content. I mean unless your IT guys are complete pikers there is no reason that 3 angles can't be expanded to 6 or 7 etc. Sure you might need to add some servers to increase your upload capacity but the software should be scaleable.

I didn't realize that the league was holding the tape "secret" though. As I alluded to in an earlier post, there are aprox. 80,000 people at every game. Exactly who are they keeping this view "secret" from?

Casserly == Idiot / Savant???

Not really seceret they just didn't want people to have access to in the sense that they could veiw it over and over and critique it, over anaylze it.

i still hold by the thought that 90% of the people that follow the NFL will care less about it. It's nuts like us that will watch is over and over.

yeah this seems to be more then game film , lets first n ten, this hasn't been out for a reason. It's not really secret, but still other coaches will now see things, they were unable to see on regular game film. I will enjoy seeing a different angle

yeah this seems to be more then game film , lets first n ten, this hasn't been out for a reason. It's not really secret, but still other coaches will now see things, they were unable to see on regular game film. I will enjoy seeing a different angle

Coaches of other teams have had acess to this film for years, really the "All 22" film is only in existance for opposing teams to watch and game plan around.

I'm skeptical about what is truly going to be released though I doubt it's going to be the 5 or 6 different angles coaches can get to game plan with. I'm thinking it's going to be one set angle maybe something up high at the 50 yard line looking down at the action. I doubt they are going to release what the real NFL teams get from week to week.

This is the film coaches have had access too.

"is regarded at this point as proprietary NFL coaching information."

. I'm thinking it's going to be one set angle maybe something up high at the 50 yard line looking down at the action.

No you want the shot from the center of the end zone and moderately but not insanely high.

When I have been at practices during Pre Season in Albany, they actually have about a 25 foot high scaffold set up behind each end zone that they film from.

No you want the shot from the center of the end zone and moderately but not insanely high.

When I have been at practices during Pre Season in Albany, they actually have about a 25 foot high scaffold set up behind each end zone that they film from.

I'm not saying this is what I want.

I'm just saying this is what they might give us.

You have to imagine the NFL isnt going to release something to fans that is going to be exactly like the All 22 film. I know how many cameras are at an NFL game, hell I watched a thing that was saying there are almost as many team cameras recording the action as broadcast cameras, all that footage just used for personal team use.

Yep.. you're one of the low-lives I talked about :P