SportsWrath

Jason Pierre- Paul

RandolphScott

He has 15.5 sacks on the year and I am convinced he should have 1 more because he clearly sacked and caused a fumble when Sanchez was throwing to the nearest worm.

I was reading a thread over at BBI (I know, I know..sue me) and they were discussing JPP vs LT. I'm only 23 and L.T retired in 1994, so I never saw him play at all and I only know him from Giants DVDs, youtube and stories from my father and uncles.

How good can JPP be? LT had 4 years of college football, JPP played 1 season at mid-tier division 1 school. He's only been playing football for a few years and he is still learning the game. Watching today's game..JPP dominated D'Brickashaw Ferguson, completely fucking man-handled him from the first snap to the last.

Am I thinking the unthinkable? Am I writing the unwriteable?

Can Jason Pierre Paul actually BE better than Lawrence Taylor?

Guest StrahansGap

He has 15.5 sacks on the year and I am convinced he should have 1 more because he clearly sacked and caused a fumble when Sanchez was throwing to the nearest worm.

I was reading a thread over at BBI (I know, I know..sue me) and they were discussing JPP vs LT. I'm only 23 and L.T retired in 1994, so I never saw him play at all and I only know him from Giants DVDs, youtube and stories from my father and uncles.

How good can JPP be? LT had 4 years of college football, JPP played 1 season at mid-tier division 1 school. He's only been playing football for a few years and he is still learning the game. Watching today's game..JPP dominated D'Brickashaw Ferguson, completely fucking man-handled him from the first snap to the last.

Am I thinking the unthinkable? Am I writing the unwriteable?

Can Jason Pierre Paul actually BE better than Lawrence Taylor?

Not yet, only because LT changed the way the game was played on the defensive side.

But when it's all said and done, JPP might be the most dominant Giants defender ever. I'm definitely a believer!

Don't know about better....he can be just as good. Also its a different era...LT was doing this kind of shit and it looked like he was Superman falling out of the sky...JPP is coming into an NFL that saw LT change the game and many more rush the QB defensive players....there is only one LT

Don't know about better....he can be just as good. Also its a different era...LT was doing this kind of shit and it looked like he was Superman falling out of the sky...JPP is coming into an NFL that saw LT change the game and many more rush the QB defensive players....there is only one LT

JPP might be one of the best athletes I have ever seen. I believe you could have him cover Jimmy Graham and he'd win.

I was hoping to get your opinion, T...I'd like to get some feedback from Boo and Fish as well.

He had Ferguson on skates all day.

I dont think JPP will change the game like LT did but if JPP keeps playing at the level he is he will be regarded as one of the best DEs to ever suit up. Funny we go from Strahan who is already argued as a top 5 DE ever to play the game and now we have JPP who if he keeps this level of play up can be regarded in the same top 5.

Cant have to many pass rushers.

I dont think JPP will change the game like LT did but if JPP keeps playing at the level he is he will be regarded as one of the best DEs to ever suit up. Funny we go from Strahan who is already argued as a top 5 DE ever to play the game and now we have JPP who if he keeps this level of play up can be regarded in the same top 5.

Cant have to many pass rushers.

Go from LT, to Stray, Tuck for those few years and now JPP.

JPP might be one of the best athletes I have ever seen. I believe you could have him cover Jimmy Graham and he'd win.

I was hoping to get your opinion, T...I'd like to get some feedback from Boo and Fish as well.

He had Ferguson on skates all day.

yeah man....he reminded me of an athletic Reggie White...with an LT mean streak. Plus he seems able to think out there and is not Osi one dimensional either. He does not blindly rush upfield and has strength (that Osi seems to lack) plus finesse. Only the special ones have both.

yeah man....he reminded me of an athletic Reggie White...with an LT mean streak. Plus he seems able to think out there and is not Osi one dimensional either. He does not blindly rush upfield and has strength (that Osi seems to lack) plus finesse. Only the special ones have both.

When/if Osi comes back and is handed his starting job back.

SW will have to bail me out of jail, because I will KILL.

Nobody will ever change the game the way LT did. Ever. The best they can do is copycat or improve upon, especially with the way the rules favor the offense nowadays. LT would be in Goodell's office every Monday just handing over blank checks, and racking up lawyers fees appealing suspensions. JPP does play with a passion not seen in a while, and he is not a big mouth about it. I think JPP will be one of the Giants greats, but he doesn't seem to have that 'it factor' just yet that LT or Strah had.

Nobody will ever change the game the way LT did. Ever. The best they can do is copycat or improve upon, especially with the way the rules favor the offense nowadays. LT would be in Goodell's office every Monday just handing over blank checks, and racking up lawyers fees appealing suspensions. JPP does play with a passion not seen in a while, and he is not a big mouth about it. I think JPP will be one of the Giants greats, but he doesn't seem to have that 'it factor' just yet that LT or Strah had.

Well he'll be a Giants until he gets injured one off season and JR releases him in favor of some other teams cast off.

Just enjoy the show folks. We can debate this when its time. He's an absolute freak though. If Eeyore..I mean Tuck can get his shit together and build off today we might have an opportunity to make some waves provided next week is a win

And by get his shit together you mean not be playing at %70?

Not yet, only because LT changed the way the game was played on the defensive side.

I will take this one step further. He also changed the way Offense is played in the NFL. Bill Walsh developed the West Coast Offense, in part, to try and neutralize LT.

That having been said, JPP is clearly a beast. If he keeps hi head right and works hard he can be one of the greats as well.

I will take this one step further. He also changed the way Offense is played in the NFL. Bill Walsh developed the West Coast Offense, in part, to try and neutralize LT.

That having been said, JPP is clearly a beast. If he keeps hi head right and works hard he can be one of the greats as well.

Exactly

right, the secret to the great ones- LT, Reggie White, Strahan, etc. is longevity. And learning your trade so well that by the time they find ways to stop you, you have new ways.

Ayup...Strahan had three moves...whereas most very good ones have two moves....good ones like Mr. One Trick Pony Osi...are either finesse, speed or strength. LT, Reggie and Strah had all three. That plus being students of the game surrounded by other players who knew their assignments/responsibilities. Right now not so much the player or playing style...JPP's impact reminds me a little bit of the immediate Rookie year impact of LT back in 81. He is not lighting up opposing QBs, RBs or OL as LT did...but it is vaguely reminiscent.

The Giants defense of that time was not as dominant as it later became despite having the best LBs in football...LT, Van Pelt, Carson, Gregory and backups like Lloyd. The offense was barely adequate with the likes of Rob Carpenter running....Gary Jeter fucked up the playoff game against the 69'ers with a totally unnecessary roughness penalty. Van Pelt, Gregory and Carson were ready to kill the guy on the field as they felt they had a good chance of beating the 69'ers who later went on to their first Super Bowl.

I don't think it's fair to compare him to Taylor--nobody is going to look good coming out of that comparison, at least on the field.

If you could have only seen Taylor getting behind the line of scrimmage, chasing down a running back from behind, and still make the tackle for a loss, then you would understand. He did that consistently his rookie year.

JPP seems like a super-athelete out there sometimes: LT seemed surreal.

This in no way means JPP is nothing. He is showing more than even Strahan did early on. If he stays healthy, he'll be a joy to watch for years to come, and very well might wear an ugly sports jacket in Ohio.