SportsWrath

Maybe Fewell deserves a pass?

osi724dasack

I agree that's part of the problem but there were a couple TDs in that game where the receiver was simply uncovered due to fuck ups in the coverage. That's ultimately on Fewell. It's his job to either get the players comfortable with his system or adjust the system to fit the players' ability.

I agree and the only reason I can think of is so many bodies in and out and playing different spots but the latest screw up was between Rolle and Webster! We also have to wonder what Peter Giunta (Secondary/Corners Coach) Dave Merritt (Secondary/Safeties Coach) do with their days?

Agree about Ross. He has played well and I don't get how he can't even be average now! Also gonna disagree to an extent. Goff might be limited but the drop off to Williams and Jones has been dramatic. And even after Boley returned, the depth guys, Herzlich and Paysinger go down....so you spend training camp and most of the season getting them ready to contribute and just when you need them, they're out. And Kiwi still looks more like a hybrid DE/LB than a pure LB to me.....but he's there for reasons we all understand - best we have and a glut of DEs.

Same thing happened to the depth at DB, only worse! It was more that TT. Was it 5 DBs gone down? That was Will Blackmon chasing Jordy Nelson up the sideline with the game on the line! Add to that, Tuck has been a shell of himself and Osi has been out more than in.

All that said, there have been times when I see yardage being given up by acres and i say to myself, "there's got to be SOMETHING you can do!!!!!!"....so I agree that maybe Fewell hasn't always maxed out what limited resources he has but the things he can do are clearly limited by the personnel he has to work with. Blitz and leave man with over matched DBs or drop more into coverage and give more time to throw? That's oversimplifying, I know but all too often he's had to play pick your poison.

With the hits we've taken, I've expected a sub-par season. I said so in September. If this team was in the upper teens/lower 20's with this group, I wouldn't say a word: Fewell would deserve a pass.

But this defense is Sheridan bad--and Fewell hasn't been close to depending on a CC Brown type. Or an injured MLB and all of the DTs. There's actually more reason for Sheridan to have gotten a pass than Fewell.

I'd still like to find the coordinator that can give Will Blackmon the ability to cover Jordy Nelson 1 on 1 with the game on the line. You can scheme out the wazoo, use all the smoke & mirrors Spags or anyone else could come up with but at some point, your players have to be able to match up with their players. That's been a problem for us.

It's like I said in another thread, going back to camp, we all agonized over each new injury - and there were so many of them! We all said, "we're fucked" and some of us talked about at least getting higher draft picks out of a lost season....and then we got MORE injuries! But the games start and we forget all about that - we just see the blue uniform and expect everything will work as it should, that there will be no drop off in quality of play. That's just unrealistic.

So if you want to kill Fewell, kill him for not being able to get the most out of badly depleted troops. At least give him that he was dealt a tough hand.

As much as you may wonder why Will Blackmon was on Jordi Nelson, I can only imagine Ross on him as a worse option based on his play recently. In fact Blackmon didn't cover him that badly, nelson just made a sick catch and let's face facts, the kid is real good.

A lot of other defensive co-ordinators IMO would have gotten way more out of this defense than Fewell. I argued with Storm with this recently, but I stick by it, this team clearly indicated years ago, that they were going to be heavily vested in defense. Reese said, you can't have enough pass rushers. The recent drafts are heavily favored towards the defense. And the minute Fewell became available, we jumped all over him. The hot new defensive co-ordinator. Now, there's no question these guys could become busts and not pan out, but the honest truth is there's talent on that side of the ball. And what we have right now is the most underwhelming defense in the league. And I don't know who else you'd blame this on other than Fewell.

Again, a few weeks back, the argument here was who was mainly responsible for the Eagles meltdown. They couldn't make the stop when they needed to then and they've done nothing since to prove they are better.If JPP didn't make those plays on Monday, how fucked would we have been and they didn't draw them up for him either. that was pure effort

A lot of other defensive co-ordinators IMO would have gotten way more out of this defense than Fewell. I argued with Storm with this recently, but I stick by it, this team clearly indicated years ago, that they were going to be heavily vested in defense. Reese said, you can't have enough pass rushers. The recent drafts are heavily favored towards the defense. And the minute Fewell became available, we jumped all over him. The hot new defensive co-ordinator. Now, there's no question these guys could become busts and not pan out, but the honest truth is there's talent on that side of the ball. And what we have right now is the most underwhelming defense in the league. And I don't know who else you'd blame this on other than Fewell.

Again, a few weeks back, the argument here was who was mainly responsible for the Eagles meltdown. They couldn't make the stop when they needed to then and they've done nothing since to prove they are better.If JPP didn't make those plays on Monday, how fucked would we have been and they didn't draw them up for him either. that was pure effort

I pretty much agree with you here, I just think that some players are underperforming as well....maybe they don't fit Fewell's defense, maybe they don't buy into it, I dont know.

I pretty much agree with you here, I just think that some players are underperforming as well....maybe they don't fit Fewell's defense, maybe they don't buy into it, I dont know.

I agree with you some guys are underperforming, I've made no bones about my feelings on Kenny Phillips, and Ross is subpar to say the least. we already know we're weak at linebacker. I know people get on Deon Grant's jock but at least he tries. it seems whatever side of the field the play is going to, Kenny Phillips is on the other side.

I agree with you some guys are underperforming, I've made no bones about my feelings on Kenny Phillips, and Ross is subpar to say the least. we already know we're weak at linebacker. I know people get on Deon Grant's jock but at least he tries. it seems whatever side of the field the play is going to, Kenny Phillips is on the other side.

Completely agree on Kenny Phillips. I don't get all the love he gets.

And hey, Deon Grant was pretty damn good last year, I dunno what happened to him this year, though.

And this guy is such a god damn dope, Osi, I don't know how you enjoy having this guy on the team, being slightly better than the debacle during the Sheridan years just doesn't cut it for me:

Rolle's pissed off he's getting blamed

I'm pretty sure everyone in the world noticed him messing that shit up. But, bear with me here, if it isn't his fault, and it's obviously not Deon Grant's fault since he's on the other side of the field....following logic, it must be Webster's fault. So he's blaming his mess up on Webster because he's angry he got blamed for the mix up. Instead of keeping his mouth shut and just working to get better, he has to run his mouth off at fucking commentators. Give me a fucking break, Rolle.

It goes back to: stop making mistakes, play the game, and keep your damn mouth shut. If you absolutely HAVE to run your mouth, do so after you play well.

Bash Rolle all you want, he's only been a warrior all year playing half the defensive positions out there including LB, the guy has done what has been asked, but ok he talks.

Don't blame KP though, he locks down the deep ball. Just look at all the open looks Romo had deep with nobody to beat.

I just rewatched the Dallas-Giants game. Miles Austin fucking abused Ross.

Bash Rolle all you want, he's only been a warrior all year playing half the defensive positions out there including LB, the guy has done what has been asked, but ok he talks.

Don't blame KP though, he locks down the deep ball. Just look at all the open looks Romo had deep with nobody to beat.

He talks and he's essentially throwing our best secondary player under the bus for no reason. He should say, "there was some miscommunication on that one. we have to work harder to figure out what's happening back there." That's all he had to say. Now he looks like a crybaby dick. God forbid commentators do what they are paid to do.

We all know Rolle talks. Can you Blame him for being a little frustrated after being the giants little bitch all season. He's pretty much Fewella

Little birch which sucks but I'd Also needed.

Blaming everyone but yourself for your own mistake is needed? I don't see it that way....

So, in one breath you're saying there is talent on the defense and Fewell isn't getting enough out of that unit, and in the next you are speaking negatively about 50% of the secondary and the linebacking core?

The dog thinks the issue is that people continue to overestimate the talent here, and the fact is the coaches get heat when they actually just might be doing more with less over the last few years...

So, in one breath you're saying there is talent on the defense and Fewell isn't getting enough out of that unit, and in the next you are speaking negatively about 50% of the secondary and the linebacking core?

The dog thinks the issue is that people continue to overestimate the talent here, and the fact is the coaches get heat when they actually just might be doing more with less over the last few years...

Last math class I took, 50 percent is not equal to 100, so me saying "some talent" is not contradicting myself. As for our linebackers, I think boley and kiwi are talented, but kiwi is a de covering at linebacker, and after those 2 there's a big dropoff. and I think it's pretty obviuos we have good players on the de line. Not really sure why you're disputing me on this?

30th ranked in D .........we are supposed to be the feared almighty New York Football Giants .......our Defensive Secondary is a fucking disgrace. If Wellington Mara were alive today Perry would be gone the moment that the season ended ...... So that is a No !

I'd still like to find the coordinator that can give Will Blackmon the ability to cover Jordy Nelson 1 on 1 with the game on the line. You can scheme out the wazoo, use all the smoke & mirrors Spags or anyone else could come up with but at some point, your players have to be able to match up with their players. That's been a problem for us.

It's like I said in another thread, going back to camp, we all agonized over each new injury - and there were so many of them! We all said, "we're fucked" and some of us talked about at least getting higher draft picks out of a lost season....and then we got MORE injuries! But the games start and we forget all about that - we just see the blue uniform and expect everything will work as it should, that there will be no drop off in quality of play. That's just unrealistic.

So if you want to kill Fewell, kill him for not being able to get the most out of badly depleted troops. At least give him that he was dealt a tough hand.

I don't think he was dealt a tough hand at all... look at the guys we have starting... aside from T2, there really isn't a noiceable drop-off... let's not confuse Goff with Ray Lewis.... Fox and Spags had far less talent to work with than this guy and at some point we have to call it what it is.. the guy is a degree above Sheridan.. and that's being generous.