SportsWrath

Maybe Fewell deserves a pass?

osi724dasack

I noticed he did what EVERY fan here wanted him to do Sunday night an that's blitz

Ok he dialed the blitz and played man coverage. Ross was burned on every single play and almost cost us the game. Maybe we have been over rating our D

Here's a grade player by player on D. I'm only including main players and itll be 1-10 *means raw or rookie

Tuck 5.0 ( still draws doubles so he gets a 5)

JPP 9.0

Osi 4.0

Tolly 4.0

Canty 6.0

Joseph 6.2

Rocky 3.0

Boley 8.1

Kiwi 7.7

Jaquain 4.2

Jones 1.5

Ross 4.2 (only because hes flashed NFL ability this year)

Webster 8.5

Prince incomplete

Madddd injurys

Tryon was like a 6.0 for the two weeks, it's a shame he looked like that guy that was gonna help save the day as a legit young vet min signing who flashed big game in big spots in years past

Rolle 8.2

Phillips 8.2

Grant 4.0

Goff

T2

Austin guy would have been JPP like out there

And not too mention Tuck and Osi who have both been totally different players this year eseciallybTuck.

So after a fair evaluation I think it's safe to sat injuries have fucked this defense in the ass real hard and rough.

Question is, does Fewell deserve a pass?

Btw this is the time of year where all the guys are banged up

And hurting plus most of the guys like Rolle, JPP, Webster, Ross, Have all seen extra snaps all season long due to dogmatic trash for depth.

I mean maybe that bullshit conservative defense is for the best

Remember Giants vs Bears last in year in 2010?? We were peaking that season, still healthy as fuck and Fewell was dialing up some bang bang that night and we sacked the shit out of them.

Patience Giant fans, 2012 is our year. This year has been a tough grind. Dominance awaits us.

I've been saying it for weeks, Osi....the personnel flat out blows at blitzing. It's a 4-man pass rush team that if they don't get pressure, not many of the others will...with Boley back and even the addition of Blackburn, they have looked better at it though.

But it is no excuse not to put them in man coverage and let one of the safeties just flat out play....ball out, if you will.

I agree, Tryon and even Coe looked like Sam Madison/RW McQuarters type guys....not great but serviceable and even able to make the big time interception if put in the right position.

Fewell is not the main problem....but he's the guy that needs to come up with a solution, and so far, he hasn't been able to push the buttons needed.

30th in the NFL in Defense....that's just bad.

Against the Cowboys, the secondary looked tentative and confused.....those communication breakdowns are on the players, but they certainly didn't look coached up, either.

I agree, alot of it is due to injuries. A healthy Osi and Tuck to go with JPP would compensate for the secondary, and likely lead to alot of airballs that could be picked up.

It also doesn't help that the Giants faced 3 QBs - Brady, Rodgers, and Brees - that will throw for 15,000 yards combined this season. That's just a sick thing for any defense to face, much less a banged up defense.

Blitzing brings it's own problems, and they were on display as you noted against the Cowboys. But, I'd take my chances bringing some additional heat rather than sit back and watch a QB sling passes to guys who are just blowing straight through gaping coverage holes.

Fewell is not the main problem....but he's the guy that needs to come up with a solution, and so far, he hasn't been able to push the buttons needed.

30th in the NFL in Defense....that's just bad.

Against the Cowboys, the secondary looked tentative and confused.....those communication breakdowns are on the players, but they certainly didn't look coached up, either.

I agree, alot of it is due to injuries. A healthy Osi and Tuck to go with JPP would compensate for the secondary, and likely lead to alot of airballs that could be picked up.

It also doesn't help that the Giants faced 3 QBs - Brady, Rodgers, and Brees - that will throw for 15,000 yards combined this season. That's just a sick thing for any defense to face, much less a banged up defense.

Blitzing brings it's own problems, and they were on display as you noted against the Cowboys. But, I'd take my chances bringing some additional heat rather than sit back and watch a QB sling passes to guys who are just blowing straight through gaping coverage holes.

i can only agree with half of what you're saying...

after watching the monday night Rams vs sawhawks...... i totally miss those type of blitzes Giants used to rock with.. Agree that when we blitzes it give us other problems like guys being open. but that's due to the fact that the blitzes aren't structure correctly. QB aren't suppose to know you're releasing the motherfucking krakken... the element of surprise is gone.

There's no excuse for whoever the QB we're facing, Brady, Rodgers, Brees: They all deserved a ass whooping. if we can't get to these guys how we gonna dream pass the playoff to win it all?? Fewell already had a year under his undies, i don't remember a guy name "Spag" had 2 games before it started to turn around... Fewell is a freaking slow minded mothersucker and he need to get shit rolling.... he got enough time to know his players and their strength.. i just get pissed everytime they show his dumbass face when the other team throws a 40 year pass on a 10 and 3rd....

ok ok. our secondary blows, that's why we aren't blitzing and getting cute with that shit.. but once in a while when it's unexpected, GO bananas at a guy name Brady or Brees.. just when they didn't expect it coming, make them drop their soap in the shower!!! k, i'm done.. now i'ma have some rice to soak up all these 40s i chug down...

Well, nobody gets a pass regardless of injuries. I still don't see Fewell getting fired. Fewell is pretty much doing the best he can with the personnel available.

One huge benefit of this season for the defense has been the opportunity to evaluate the young talent we have at linebacker. This team is going to get through this season and into the playoffs. The experience of this year is going to benefit us next season.

I'm sorry, no. We've had 2/3 of the LBs that were supposed to start at the beginning of the season for most of this season. And frankly, you guys are over-rating Goff's ability to begin with--he was a 2-down LB last season, and might have been again this season. Until this past week, we've had 3/4s of our starters in the secondary, even though Thomas was a big loss. Still, Ross might not be a pro-bowler, but we've won with him as a starter in the past.

Tuck's injury does hurt. But JPP has picked that up. Canty and Joseph are giving us better push in the middle than we've seen in a while. Tollefson is a better DE than most people recognize. There's dropoff at the dline this year, but not as much as our defensive play would make us wish to believe.

It's reasonable to expect a drop-off in defense this season. It's not reasonable for us to be 30th. Most of the big losses on D happened in preseason; there should have been enough time by now to have gelled much more than what we've seen. I'm not expecting a top-10 defense with this team as it stands, but we definitely shouldn't be 30th with this squad.

Couple that with consistent melt-downs last season, and I don't see the excuse for Fewell that you do.

No he doesnt.

I agree only because when your blitz packages arent working you have to adjust on the fly and thats it. Your a professional defensive coordinator and you cant adjust your blitzes on the fly? Give me a break thats horsefuckin shit. our getting paid alot of money to take this job, if Fewell cant do it than find someone else who will.

I'm sorry, no. We've had 2/3 of the LBs that were supposed to start at the beginning of the season for most of this season. And frankly, you guys are over-rating Goff's ability to begin with--he was a 2-down LB last season, and might have been again this season. Until this past week, we've had 3/4s of our starters in the secondary, even though Thomas was a big loss. Still, Ross might not be a pro-bowler, but we've won with him as a starter in the past.

Tuck's injury does hurt. But JPP has picked that up. Canty and Joseph are giving us better push in the middle than we've seen in a while. Tollefson is a better DE than most people recognize. There's dropoff at the dline this year, but not as much as our defensive play would make us wish to believe.

It's reasonable to expect a drop-off in defense this season. It's not reasonable for us to be 30th. Most of the big losses on D happened in preseason; there should have been enough time by now to have gelled much more than what we've seen. I'm not expecting a top-10 defense with this team as it stands, but we definitely shouldn't be 30th with this squad.

Couple that with consistent melt-downs last season, and I don't see the excuse for Fewell that you do.

Agree about Ross. He has played well and I don't get how he can't even be average now! Also gonna disagree to an extent. Goff might be limited but the drop off to Williams and Jones has been dramatic. And even after Boley returned, the depth guys, Herzlich and Paysinger go down....so you spend training camp and most of the season getting them ready to contribute and just when you need them, they're out. And Kiwi still looks more like a hybrid DE/LB than a pure LB to me.....but he's there for reasons we all understand - best we have and a glut of DEs.

Same thing happened to the depth at DB, only worse! It was more that TT. Was it 5 DBs gone down? That was Will Blackmon chasing Jordy Nelson up the sideline with the game on the line! Add to that, Tuck has been a shell of himself and Osi has been out more than in.

All that said, there have been times when I see yardage being given up by acres and i say to myself, "there's got to be SOMETHING you can do!!!!!!"....so I agree that maybe Fewell hasn't always maxed out what limited resources he has but the things he can do are clearly limited by the personnel he has to work with. Blitz and leave man with over matched DBs or drop more into coverage and give more time to throw? That's oversimplifying, I know but all too often he's had to play pick your poison.

Agreed 100%.

i can only agree with half of what you're saying...

after watching the monday night Rams vs sawhawks...... i totally miss those type of blitzes Giants used to rock with.. Agree that when we blitzes it give us other problems like guys being open. but that's due to the fact that the blitzes aren't structure correctly. QB aren't suppose to know you're releasing the motherfucking krakken... the element of surprise is gone.

There's no excuse for whoever the QB we're facing, Brady, Rodgers, Brees: They all deserved a ass whooping. if we can't get to these guys how we gonna dream pass the playoff to win it all?? Fewell already had a year under his undies, i don't remember a guy name "Spag" had 2 games before it started to turn around... Fewell is a freaking slow minded mothersucker and he need to get shit rolling.... he got enough time to know his players and their strength.. i just get pissed everytime they show his dumbass face when the other team throws a 40 year pass on a 10 and 3rd....

ok ok. our secondary blows, that's why we aren't blitzing and getting cute with that shit.. but once in a while when it's unexpected, GO bananas at a guy name Brady or Brees.. just when they didn't expect it coming, make them drop their soap in the shower!!! k, i'm done.. now i'ma have some rice to soak up all these 40s i chug down...

I'm not going to disagree with you..... there really isn't any comparison between Spags and Fewell when it comes to blitzing. Spags had so many combinations, and disguised them very well.

In Fewell's defense, Spags had Antonio Pierce, who was masterful at setting up the defense. But Spags didn't have JPP, either, or a healthy KP, or Rolle, etc.

Still, I agree, when it comes to dialing up pressure, Spags blows away Fewell.

Fact is, most Giants fans hate read and react systems. If we insist on running the same shit next year, Reese shouldn't waste draft picks on anyone that won't fit into Fewell's passive secondary.

With respect to Goff....I agree. The jury was still out on that guy, as far as I'm concerned.

When Couglin says he has "grave concerns" about defense, I wonder if that means he'll step in? I can tolerate a Tampa-2 when it works effectively.....if we were a defense in the 10-19 rankings, I'd just say Fewell gets a pass.

Again, injuries are the #1 issue, but Fewell deserves heat as well. Guys don't look prepared to defend.

And, if you can't play a zone, you might as well get aggressive, and let these guys display some athleticism and aggression instead of asking them to play Professor, which has been an epic fail.

I'd still like to find the coordinator that can give Will Blackmon the ability to cover Jordy Nelson 1 on 1 with the game on the line. You can scheme out the wazoo, use all the smoke & mirrors Spags or anyone else could come up with but at some point, your players have to be able to match up with their players. That's been a problem for us.

It's like I said in another thread, going back to camp, we all agonized over each new injury - and there were so many of them! We all said, "we're fucked" and some of us talked about at least getting higher draft picks out of a lost season....and then we got MORE injuries! But the games start and we forget all about that - we just see the blue uniform and expect everything will work as it should, that there will be no drop off in quality of play. That's just unrealistic.

So if you want to kill Fewell, kill him for not being able to get the most out of badly depleted troops. At least give him that he was dealt a tough hand.

I'd still like to find the coordinator that can give Will Blackmon the ability to cover Jordy Nelson 1 on 1 with the game on the line. You can scheme out the wazoo, use all the smoke & mirrors Spags or anyone else could come up with but at some point, your players have to be able to match up with their players. That's been a problem for us.

It's like I said in another thread, going back to camp, we all agonized over each new injury - and there were so many of them! We all said, "we're fucked" and some of us talked about at least getting higher draft picks out of a lost season....and then we got MORE injuries! But the games start and we forget all about that - we just see the blue uniform and expect everything will work as it should, that there will be no drop off in quality of play. That's just unrealistic.

So if you want to kill Fewell, kill him for not being able to get the most out of badly depleted troops. At least give him that he was dealt a tough hand.

I think everybody would give him a pass if the D was serviceable but they are bottom 25 in every defensive category. That is just unacceptable. All teams have key injuries on their D but why is our D so bad? We still have many starters on the DLine and secondary yet can't cover anybody or get consistent pressure. A DC should be drawing up schemes to hide the weaknesses but every team exposes this D.

Grossman is going to look like a real QB again this weekend. :furious:

I agree that's part of the problem but there were a couple TDs in that game where the receiver was simply uncovered due to fuck ups in the coverage. That's ultimately on Fewell. It's his job to either get the players comfortable with his system or adjust the system to fit the players' ability.