SportsWrath

Wow! None of us predicted this!

Treehugger

Eagles WR Smith ends up on injured reserve with knee injury

* By NFL.com

Philadelphia Eagles placed wide receiver Steve Smith on season-ending injured reserve Monday because of a bone bruise in his left knee, the team announced, capping what was a disappointing season for the fifth-year pro.

Smith signed with the Eagles during the offseason after four seasons with the New York Giants, but he battled injuries throughout the season and appeared in nine games with one start.

Smith had not played since Week 12 against the New England Patriots and finished the season with 11 catches for 124 yards and a touchdown.

The Eagles announced Cedric Thornton has been promoted to the 53-man roster in a corresponding move.

I wont lie I was pissed when we let him go.

Obviously Reese and Co knew something about his knee that made us let him go. It's odd to think what the Giants team doctors found that the Eagles docs didn't.

Must be hard for a player to hear "Your knee is fucked" when they are (or were) in the prime of their career.

i am probably one of the few that feel bad for Steve Smith... he gave us production and stayed professional since the day we drafted him.. i don't see any of you bash him when he made that catch and went for the first down during the super bowl.. i don't see you guys yapping when he was Eli's safety blanket....

he was out performing his contract and just got a shit load of bad luck that didn't earn him what he deserved.........

i hope he come back strong and with another team... .maybe RAms???.....

he was out performing his contract and just got a shit load of bad luck that didn't earn him what he deserved.........

Before he hurt his knee he was offered a contract that would have made him one of the highest paid WRs in the league and turned it down because he somehow thought he could get even more money at the end of the year. He had no loyalty to the Giants and I have zero sympathy for him.

Before he hurt his knee he was offered a contract that would have made him one of the highest paid WRs in the league and turned it down because he somehow thought he could get even more money at the end of the year. He had no loyalty to the Giants and I have zero sympathy for him.

That's a he said, she said thing, though...Smith denies that claim. Who knows the true story....

To be honest, I am of the opinion that the Giants thought he wouldn't get signed by anyone and they could bring him back at minimal cost....

i am probably one of the few that feel bad for Steve Smith... he gave us production and stayed professional since the day we drafted him.. i don't see any of you bash him when he made that catch and went for the first down during the super bowl.. i don't see you guys yapping when he was Eli's safety blanket....

We all liked Smith... the way shit went down though... he fucked himself over... you can blame his agent but at the end of the day no one is superman.. when the doctor says you need x number of days to full recover, don't think you're superman... I'm not mad at him.. in a way I feel bad for him but it's not like he's homeless... whatever money he made so far especially with what the Eagles gave him.. I say he's well off.

That's a he said, she said thing, though...Smith denies that claim. Who knows the true story....

To be honest, I am of the opinion that the Giants thought he wouldn't get signed by anyone and they could bring him back at minimal cost....

Tree was referring to the offer the Giants extended him before his injury I think.

Oh stop it. I cant feel bad for a player who not only left us without taking a final contract offer. Shot down a more tha fair offer months before. with that being said I want him to do well. Just not on the football field.

Tree was referring to the offer the Giants extended him before his injury I think.

No, I realize that. Steve Smith, however, denies any such deal was ever offered. Why wouldn't he take a deal that made him one of the highest paid WRs in the league? He isn't on the talent level of a top WR in the league, he'd be overpaid, so I HIGHLY doubt that such an offer ever existed.

Agree....took a chance in a zero sum game and came up craps....whatever. The yahooing he did when he scored his touchdown was enough for me. Fuck him.

Well, the other "he said, she said" scenario at the time involved Smith's knee and how long it'd be before he could play, where Steve also denied the Giants' story saying he was ready to go...

He was ready to go, but where was he going to go on that Eagles roster? They already were set at WR, especially at his position as slot guy/third down guy. And it takes some time to learn a new offense, and they had no offseason, essentially. It was a bad fit from the get-go.

There is absolutely no way he was offered 7 million a year to be a third down receiver. It doesn't make sense for the Giants to offer him that and it doesn't make sense for Smith not to accept it, if there was an offer.

He was ready to go, but where was he going to go on that Eagles roster? They already were set at WR, especially at his position as slot guy/third down guy. And it takes some time to learn a new offense, and they had no offseason, essentially. It was a bad fit from the get-go.

He's been hurt all year and in now on IR because of the same knee; you think that's "ready to go"? Smith and the Eagles might have ruined his career by rushing him back.

There is absolutely no way he was offered 7 million a year to be a third down receiver. It doesn't make sense for the Giants to offer him that and it doesn't make sense for Smith not to accept it, if there was an offer.

We're saying the same thing, only I'm not suggesting pro athletes always make good decisions.

I don't hate Smith, I think he signed to the Eagles because he wanted to play rather than just for money. The Giants were going to sit him until his knee was ready and I don't think he wanted to hear that.

We're saying the same thing, only I'm not suggesting pro athletes always make good decisions.

I don't hate Smith, I think he signed to the Eagles because he wanted to play rather than just for money. The Giants were going to sit him until his knee was ready and I don't think he wanted to hear that.

Agree....young men...especially pro athletes think that they are modern day demi-gods (the Hercules Factor I call it) where they think they can will their bodies back to health. Again it has to do with the fact that the frontal lobes of men do not fully mature until ages 30-32 as evidenced by many physiological studies over the past ten years. One reason why young men are so reckless and have inflated opinions of themselves is rooted for a great extent in the physical wiring of the brain. Too bad there was not a dominant enough older Giant that had respect in the mold of a Carson (when he takes his psychotropic medication for his Bipolar Disorder) who could have counseled him to sit his fucking ass down and heal.