SportsWrath

JPP And Jacquian Williams Defied The Odds Of Playing Football -- Together

Mr. P

At the very mention of the other's name, both Jason Pierre-Paul and Jacquian Williams' knee-jerk responses began with two words: Oh, man.

"Oh man, me and Jacquian go way back," the defensive end said in an interview on Friday.

"Oh man, JPP," the rookie linebacker began saying as the pitch in his voice gradually went higher and higher with each initial.

Not exactly coincidence per se, but the two sons of The Sunshine State somewhat defied the odds on their path to landing on the same pro team. Not only did they play Division I football together at South Florida, they also transferred there from Fort Scott Community College the same season.

It was there, playing in Kansas, that the two met each other.

"I didn't know him from a can of paint," said Pierre-Paul, a native of Deerfield Beach, Fla. "I wound up getting close to him, we wound up being cool. All Florida cats have something in common - where they come from, their backgrounds, something in common."

Williams, born in Apopka just outside of Orlando, said he bonded with Pierre-Paul during down time at Fort Scott.

"We couldn't get back home one time," Williams said. "We were on a weeklong break and we had to kind of stay together. So that's how we really kind of met. (Another teammate) had a car so we would go out and hang together. That's kind of how we hooked up."

Nine months younger, Williams played another year at South Florida while watching his friend make his rookie debut for the Giants last season. When his time came, the probability that the two would reunite once again wasn't really much of a coincidence at all.

It was Giants general manager Jerry Reese who set the wheels in motion and approached Williams with a question during his pro day.

Do you get along with JPP?

"I started laughing," Williams said. "I said, 'Yeah, that'd be great.' It was in the back of my mind."

Williams said Reese told him he would see what he could do to get them playing together again. Now in Pierre-Paul's shoes a year later, Williams has his confidant back"When I first got here, it made me feel at ease having somebody I knew that's been here for a year," Williams said. "He's somebody that helps. He's a smiling person. He always puts a smile on my face. I know I can always go talk to him. It's easy to talk to him."

Pierre-Paul can relate to the way Williams is being brought along at the professional level and knows why the Giants signed him to the team.

"Maybe they looked at me last year, and they said 'I've got to go back and get some more South Florida cats.' But it's a good thing. I'm happy for him. I love having him on my team, I do."

In the second game of his NFL career, Williams had seven tackles on "Monday

Night Football" to go along with the two he had in the opener. Just like with Pierre-Paul, the Giants brass are immediately seeing their investment in pure athleticism pay off.

"Now they're asking me, 'Are there more people like (you) at South Florida?'" Williams said.

"I said, 'They're out there.' I know a couple of them. Some guys at USF, they should have a chance. I just asked Jerry in the weight room, I asked him, 'Are all Florida kids just built like that?' He was like, 'No, not all them - (you) and JPP are genetically gifted.'"

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Down-the-same-road/ce6dedad-038f-4ddf-98e1-5e47c2bd2956

how great is our LB line now???.. . KIWI, J,Williams, BOLEY???... goodness i thought it was the weakest spot of the defense... now i look at it , it's pretty straight up gangstA!!!!!

are they still pulling KIWI outta 3rd downs?? who's the replacement if so??

he's been going down to the line on third downs alot, and his replacement is usually a db.

Fuck Fowler Ave...

I hate that fucking road. I'd rather drive down Broadway in Manhattan in rush hour.

I have no problem with it. But I lived in the Orlando area for a long time and had to deal with 436 through Altamonte Springs. There's a traffic light every 100 yards, and they're always red. Talk about wanting a fully automatic weapon, I'll show you road rage!

For some reason, I have great luck on Fowler, I think. I know the traffic can get heavy, but I navigate through it pretty well, I have no problem doing the weave thing... my wife says I drive crazy. I tell her I refuse to sit behind slow people. But yeah, Fowler, I've seen a lot worse, BK.

I have no problem with it. But I lived in the Orlando area for a long time and had to deal with 436 through Altamonte Springs. There's a traffic light every 100 yards, and they're always red. Talk about wanting a fully automatic weapon, I'll show you road rage!

For some reason, I have great luck on Fowler, I think. I know the traffic can get heavy, but I navigate through it pretty well, I have no problem doing the weave thing... my wife says I drive crazy. I tell her I refuse to sit behind slow people. But yeah, Fowler, I've seen a lot worse, BK.

OK you got a point on the 436 in Altamonte. I work out in Lake Mary now and That area whole area from the around the Amway Arena all the way to Altamonte Springs is like a fucking demolition derby.

OK you got a point on the 436 in Altamonte. I work out in Lake Mary now and That area whole area from the around the Amway Arena all the way to Altamonte Springs is like a fucking demolition derby.

Fuck are you serious? You work in Lake Mary? Don't you live in the vicinity of Lakeland thereabouts? Damn, dude, I'm not exactly sure where you're at, but I think you have one hell of a commute to work.

Fuck are you serious? You work in Lake Mary? Don't you live in the vicinity of Lakeland thereabouts? Damn, dude, I'm not exactly sure where you're at, but I think you have one hell of a commute to work.

I live in Aurburndale At the moment. So pretty much Lakeland area yeah. my Commute is about 75 minutes. It sucks some days but being originally from NY and having to Deal with the Long Island Expressway has prepared for me for shitty traffic and long commutes.