SportsWrath

My analysis of the Giants-Redskins game

JMFP

I totally agree, I just don't understand why they don't break the system down to basics and run only the plays that these guys are good at. Its fundamental coaching - put your players in a position in which they can succeed.

I don't need or want to be impressed by the brilliant complexity of the Giants offensive scheme. I want them to line up and smack some motherfuckers in the mouth because thats what they've got the personnel to do. Instead every goddamn play is a if/then/either/or decision tree; come on Gilbride, take it down to basics and just let these guys play football. When Gilbride's shit works its 6 points, but its just too damn hard to get all the guys on the same page when every guy has to make multiple reads on every play.

I agree with this. Screw getting complex, lets play smashmouth football.

They did have 4 sacks and multiple QB pressures/hits... but at times, Fewell backed off and didn't send the blitz. It's REX GROSSMAN! He's TRYING to give the defense the ball. If I was D-Coordinator we would've been man coverage and sending at minimum 5 every play, if not 6... I would just be changing it up where the blitz it coming from. The only linebacker worth a damn yesterday was Boley. We did not have the horses to play zone coverage yesterday, but Fewell did it anyway. You've got all kinds of rookies out there... line up on your man and play football.

They did have 4 sacks and multiple QB pressures/hits... but at times, Fewell backed off and didn't send the blitz. It's REX GROSSMAN! He's TRYING to give the defense the ball. If I was D-Coordinator we would've been man coverage and sending at minimum 5 every play, if not 6... I would just be changing it up where the blitz it coming from. The only linebacker worth a damn yesterday was Boley. We did not have the horses to play zone coverage yesterday, but Fewell did it anyway. You've got all kinds of rookies out there... line up on your man and play football.

Totally agreed. I trust Rex to fuck it up, but Fewell didn't give him that chance.

Tollefson wasn't completely worthless, he was getting some push.... four sacks isn't bad, but the Giants should have had six or seven against Rex and that offensive line. A few more opportunities under pressure to fuck it up, and I'm sure Rex would have turned the ball over.

Its Rex Fucking Grossman! He's TRYING to give the defense the ball!

Totally agreed. I trust Rex to fuck it up, but Fewell didn't give him that chance.

Tollefson wasn't completely worthless, he was getting some push.... four sacks isn't bad, but the Giants should have had six or seven against Rex and that offensive line. A few more opportunities under pressure to fuck it up, and I'm sure Rex would have turned the ball over.

Its Rex Fucking Grossman! He's TRYING to give the defense the ball!

But even when he did cough it up the O failed to do anything with it and the D were back a few minutes later. I really think the D did enough to win this game.

But even when he did cough it up the O failed to do anything with it and the D were back a few minutes later. I really think the D did enough to win this game.

You're right, they did. And they did it with their bench warmers, so at least we can feel good about that.

The offense... ugh... only excuse they've got is a shuffled offensive line, but they ran the ball well despite that, and Eli generally had time to throw. I don't know whats going on there.... the receivers not getting open? Eli just not seeing them? I suspect its the Gilbride Read-and-React Offense... Eli doesn't know where the receivers will be, and the receivers don't know where Eli will throw the ball. Seems like lots of indecision out there...

You're right, they did. And they did it with their bench warmers, so at least we can feel good about that.

The offense... ugh... only excuse they've got is a shuffled offensive line, but they ran the ball well despite that, and Eli generally had time to throw. I don't know whats going on there.... the receivers not getting open? Eli just not seeing them? I suspect its the Gilbride Read-and-React Offense... Eli doesn't know where the receivers will be, and the receivers don't know where Eli will throw the ball. Seems like lots of indecision out there...

That's my take on it too. Manningham in particular looked like was on a different page. Eli was getting harrassed for a lot of the game though. Credit to a much improved Skins D.

The biggest story of this game is what Shanahan and Bruce Allen are doing with the Redskins. They are turning that team around. The offense has a lot to work on but they have done a lot to improve that team in 2 years. Think about the horses they have just brought in the last couple of years: They draft Brian Orakpo (absolute stud), Trent Williams (going to be their starting OT for a decade), Ryan Kerrigan (looks like a keeper), and Jarvis Jenkins (who looked like the best DL they had prior to getting injured for the season), Roy Helu, and Leonard Hankerson (both have a lot of upside). What they've done in free agency has been remarkable. Bringing in undervalued players like Gaffney, Hightower, Jammal Brown, Josh Wilson, Stephen Bowen, Chris Chester (starting G), Adam Carriker, and Barry Cofield. They have uncovered diamonds in the rough like Brandon Banks and Anthony Armstrong. They have re-made that team really top to bottom and they are only a great QB away from contending... You look at what they've done in two years to that roster and it's really remarkable, AND they handled Haynesworth properly. Don't sleep on the Redskins.

There was one fumble. True, the offense didn't gain much, but there was no reason we couldn't get a field goal out of it.

Our defensive line played well. That's about it. Even with Tollefson in there. That's a credit to the players and the defensive line coach.

The rest of the defense? Far from good enough to win. Once again, they couldn't get off the field.

I think it's time to start questioning whether Fewell is the wunderkind you guys seem to think he is. Because this D chokes, and chokes hard against any team with some semblance of an offense. It did last year as well as this year, so far.

I love defense. I grew up when defense was the only thing the Giants had. I did not see a good defense yesterday. Certainly not one that was head and shoulders better than the Redskin's D.

There was one fumble. True, the offense didn't gain much, but there was no reason we couldn't get a field goal out of it.

Our defensive line played well. That's about it. Even with Tollefson in there. That's a credit to the players and the defensive line coach.

The rest of the defense? Far from good enough to win. Once again, they couldn't get off the field.

I think it's time to start questioning whether Fewell is the wunderkind you guys seem to think he is. Because this D chokes, and chokes hard against any team with some semblance of an offense. It did last year as well as this year, so far.

I love defense. I grew up when defense was the only thing the Giants had. I did not see a good defense yesterday. Certainly not one that was head and shoulders better than the Redskin's D.

I agree completely. The zone D in particular, which he seems to have grown very fond of, is like swiss cheese.

No meantion of our continued delay of game penalties? We had 2, and nearly had around 10. Killdrive has got to go.

And whats with running Bradshaw on 3rd and 1 TWICE??? While we have a 260LB monster sitting on the bench. I just cant believe this mans ignorance of his own teams strengths.

No meantion of our continued delay of game penalties? We had 2, and nearly had around 10. Killdrive has got to go.

I already moaned about that in another thread but it's definitely worth bringing up again. Killdrive has to have the clumsiest playcalling system in the league. Sometimes I think the head-scratching calls are due to panic rather than planning.