SportsWrath

My analysis of the Giants-Redskins game

JMFP

Guest StrahansGap

It's hard to think we'll be going to the playoffs when we look like shit against a team that is mediocre at best. Schedule gets harder as the season progresses so this is a bad omen.

Could be worse.....Steelers, Falcons, and Colts got hammered.

But so far, looks like the 2010 Giants, with less talent (Boss, Smith) and more injuries (Tuck, Osi, Prince, T2, Goff, etc., etc., etc).

On the bright side Ballard looked good.

But so far, looks like the 2010 Giants, with less talent (Boss, Smith) and more injuries (Tuck, Osi, Prince, T2, Goff, etc., etc., etc).

JPP looked like a beast, too.

Man, that hold on Gaffney's last TD on JPP was absurd... how did that NOT get called?

JPP looked like a beast, too.

Man, that hold on Gaffney's last TD on JPP was absurd... how did that NOT get called?

Not going to blame the refs, but I agree, they really sucked.

But when you have Rolle on your team, it's difficult to get any calls in your favor.

Tynes and Rolle combined to pretty much douche any comeback chances we had.

We just got torched by a team that will probably finish 6-10... by Rex Grossman and fucking Jabbar Gaffney.

GROSSMAN and fucking GAFFNEY.

This is gonna be one hell of a long season.

I think I'm gonna need zoloft.

Not going to blame the refs, but I agree, they really sucked.

But when you have Rolle on your team, it's difficult to get any calls in your favor.

Tynes and Rolle combined to pretty much douche any comeback chances we had.

Zoloft helps you come to terms with stupid behavior by highly paid athletes.

For all intents and purposes, with Eli Manning and our skill position players, there was no reason the game was unable to be tied when it was 21-14. The Tynes miss seemed to completely drain the Giant's sails. Inopportune considering it was only a 7 point game. I blame that on coaching, though. Your team takes on the attitude of your coaching staff. IF your coaching staff is dejected and demoralized (Tom Coughlin looked demoralized from the start of the 3rd quarter, anyone who argues that is plain wrong) so is your team.

colts should just take a knee for the season.

My analysis:

its week ONE. Count 'em: ONE.

And what is the conventional wisdom on week 1 NFL games? They're all important and determine the entire outcome of the season! We're dooomed!!!

I see a lot of valid issues bring brought up... but the one thing that really worries me is the lack of effort or concentration on both sides of the ball. Several times yesterday I saw Giants OFFENSIVE LINEMEN standing around when there was a pile to be pushed, or looking around for somebody to block... McKenzie and Baas were the worst offenders. Diehl didn't look good either. I saw Nicks taking a long, slow walk back to the huddle on more than one occasion. I can deal with early season mistakes. Apathy is something else entirely.

On the bright side, JPP is already a force out there. I could see his sack coming back in the 1st quarter, the Redskins often had two guys on JPP and it was just a matter of time until Fewell sent enough guys to neutralize the double-team. Linval Joseph looked good all day long, and Canty/Bernard were far better than their rep (I saw Bernard making a tackle downfield, I liked the effort there).

Greg Jones didn't make a highlight reel impact, but he was always around the ball... give him time to learn, he'll improve and make some plays. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the middle for the next several years. I liked what I saw.

Aaron Ross is NOT a zone cornerback, and although Webster has the skills to play well in any system he's more of a press-man coverage guy... the both of them are wasted in a cover-2. T2 was the only corner on the Giants roster, except maybe the extremely limited Bruce Johnson, that looked good playing zone defense.

I absolutely loathed the Giants defensive scheme yesterday, it looked like the Colts East... and of all NFL teams why the fuck are we emulating the Colts defense? The Giants did play the run very well considering they were too often voluntarily running the DEs out of the play. We can probably thank Kiwanuka for that, he completely owned his real estate in the trenches, he's a hell of a player.

Aaron Ross is NOT a zone cornerback, and although Webster has the skills to play well in any system he's more of a press-man coverage guy... the both of them are wasted in a cover-2. T2 was the only corner on the Giants roster, except maybe the extremely limited Bruce Johnson, that looked good playing zone defense.

Maybe Fewell needs to check the Sheridan footage to see how badly this will workout. I concur that zone doesn't work well for Ross or Webster (almost killed Webster's career).

We just got torched by a team that will probably finish 6-10... by Rex Grossman and fucking Jabbar Gaffney.

GROSSMAN and fucking GAFFNEY.

This is gonna be one hell of a long season.

I'm hoping other teams discount us like this. Nothing wrong with flying under the radar.

Giants figured this was going to be a gimme.

My analysis:

its week ONE. Count 'em: ONE.

And what is the conventional wisdom on week 1 NFL games? They're all important and determine the entire outcome of the season! We're dooomed!!!

I see a lot of valid issues bring brought up... but the one thing that really worries me is the lack of effort or concentration on both sides of the ball. Several times yesterday I saw Giants OFFENSIVE LINEMEN standing around when there was a pile to be pushed, or looking around for somebody to block... McKenzie and Baas were the worst offenders. Diehl didn't look good either. I saw Nicks taking a long, slow walk back to the huddle on more than one occasion. I can deal with early season mistakes. Apathy is something else entirely.

On the bright side, JPP is already a force out there. I could see his sack coming back in the 1st quarter, the Redskins often had two guys on JPP and it was just a matter of time until Fewell sent enough guys to neutralize the double-team. Linval Joseph looked good all day long, and Canty/Bernard were far better than their rep (I saw Bernard making a tackle downfield, I liked the effort there).

Greg Jones didn't make a highlight reel impact, but he was always around the ball... give him time to learn, he'll improve and make some plays. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the middle for the next several years. I liked what I saw.

I absolutely loathed the Giants defensive scheme yesterday, it looked like the Colts East... and of all NFL teams why the fuck are we emulating the Colts defense? The Giants did play the run very well considering they were too often voluntarily running the DEs out of the play. We can probably thank Kiwanuka for that, he completely owned his real estate in the trenches, he's a hell of a player.

Great post.

My biggest criticism centers on the offense, specifically Gilbride. It's the same, stale, plodding, labored, unconfident look we had last season.

If Eli Manning is an elite QB, then he should have greater control over this offense, including the ability to bust into a fucking no huddle to get everyone's ass in gear.

My analysis??? Its only week 1, and we looked worse our SB yr before we went on a tear. So, theres definitely still hope........BUUUTTT.............

.....We need Osi and Tuck back. Good thing JPPs a beast cause if not, we would have had ZERO pressure on Rex, and we werent really far off from zero pressure. :rolleyes: Our DTs were ghost.

I do like the job Baas did on Cofield, and overall the Oline was OK, but Eli is killin me. I know when you least expect it, this goofball will do magic. But hes staying inconsistent, and this is his last yr IMHO. Step up or step aside.

LOVE Nicks and Manningham. just wish Eli would get it to them more!! And Ballard did great.

G. Jones is the FUTURE. I know it. But in the meantime.....FUUUCK. Our LBS sucked. Grossman....GROSSFUCKINMAN.....torched us in the middle. :furious:

Gilbride should be kicked in the head cause he needs to run the ball more.

Its early guys, we can still do this. But that game overall left a bad taste in my mouth. <_<

Great post.

My biggest criticism centers on the offense, specifically Gilbride. It's the same, stale, plodding, labored, unconfident look we had last season.

If Eli Manning is an elite QB, then he should have greater control over this offense, including the ability to bust into a fucking no huddle to get everyone's ass in gear.

I totally agree, I just don't understand why they don't break the system down to basics and run only the plays that these guys are good at. Its fundamental coaching - put your players in a position in which they can succeed.

I don't need or want to be impressed by the brilliant complexity of the Giants offensive scheme. I want them to line up and smack some motherfuckers in the mouth because thats what they've got the personnel to do. Instead every goddamn play is a if/then/either/or decision tree; come on Gilbride, take it down to basics and just let these guys play football. When Gilbride's shit works its 6 points, but its just too damn hard to get all the guys on the same page when every guy has to make multiple reads on every play.

Our dline was the best part of our defense yesterday. They put plenty of pressure on Grossman--the problem was coverage.

Damn, I was watching the Giants game, what game were you watching?? :confused:

We had almost ZERO pressure on Grossman. Other than JPPs sack and a lil pressure he put, and Linvals ONE good push.......they did nothing. Tollefson was useless.