SportsWrath

Defensive Tackles Look Downright Scary

BleedinBlue

Joseph has grown a beard and looks friggin intimidating as heck. Early reports on him say he is excelling and Fewell is lauding him saying "“he shows power, he shows speed. He shows quickness". Justin Tuck says Linval is the strongest player on the team. GM Jerry Reese called him an unmovable object. Wasn't he the one who had like 37 reps last year in the combine tying the old record?

screenshot20110801at815.png

Anyway....he looks to be in terrific shape and between him and Austin, we should be in good (dare I say it, "even better") shape after the departure of Cofield and Bernard. Joseph never smiles and is all business.

linvalljoseph.jpg

Austin simply looks like a person's worst nightmare should they bump into him in a dark alley. They are saying he has a mean streak and is super athletic once his hand is on the turf. He'll be interesting to watch this year.

marvinaustin.jpg

Both Joseph and Austin have something to prove and I hope they both become pro-bowlers. Now, if we can just get Osi to settle down and play football the way he can, and JPP steps up the way he can....then we should have the most fearsome d-line in the NFL.

Joseph has grown a beard and looks friggin intimidating as heck. Early reports on him say he is excelling and Fewell is lauding him saying "“he shows power, he shows speed. He shows quickness". Justin Tuck says Linval is the strongest player on the team. GM Jerry Reese called him an unmovable object. Wasn't he the one who had like 37 reps last year in the combine tying the old record?

screenshot20110801at815.png

Anyway....he looks to be in terrific shape and between him and Austin, we should be in good (dare I say it, "even better") shape after the departure of Cofield and Bernard. Joseph never smiles and is all business.

linvalljoseph.jpg

Austin simply looks like a person's worst nightmare should they bump into him in a dark alley. They are saying he has a mean streak and is super athletic once his hand is on the turf. He'll be interesting to watch this year.

marvinaustin.jpg

Both Joseph and Austin have something to prove and I hope they both become pro-bowlers. Now, if we can just get Osi to settle down and play football the way he can, and JPP steps up the way he can....then we should have the most fearsome d-line in the NFL.

Bench press? Iirc that was Petrus and he did 48 or 49.

I forgot all about Mitch Petrus. I haven't read anything at all about him this season and I try to read everything I can. If he pans out, he could be a monster to pair up with Baas and Diehl. I imagine it's hard for him to get much playing time behind Snee so hopefully he is learning and preparing to be a stud guard soon.

Anyway....I still think our interior line on defense looks absolutely awesome. Hope they both live up to their hype. Giants have really gotten some steals in the last couple of drafts with the Prince falling in their laps and Austin still there in the 2nd thanks to overhyped "bad boy got caught" while in college. I'm sure if not for the incident in NC, he would have been a top 10 pick. And of course, I think Nicks might very well have been the best WR in the draft the year before even though four WR's went before him and the Raiders had to pay a king's ransom for Darius Heywood-Bey as did the 49's for Crabtree.

Don't know if this is a good move or not:

From True Blue:

The Giants will work out
DT Gabe Watson
today, according to the
Arizona Republic
, looking to add depth and experience to a young interior defensive line.

As of now, the team’s top three DTs are Chris Canty, second-year player Linval Joseph and rookie Marvin Austin. Both Joseph and Austin were highly-regarded second-round draft picks. Austin has especially impressed in the team’s first three practices.

The book (wiki): Watson - (Michigan, 27 yrs old, 6'4" / 338) has not started since 2007, spending his first five seasons with the Arizona Cardinals. Last season he had seven tackles in seven games after coming off knee surgery. A two-time, first-team in the Big Ten Conference and a 4th rd pick (107th overall) by Arizona in 2006.

College career: In 2005, Watson recorded a career-high 40 tackles (24 solos) with three sacks for minus 17 yards and 6.5 stops for losses of 25 yards as a senior.

He played in every game, starting the final 11 contests at nose guard. Watson was a consensus All-Big Ten Conference First-team choice and on the Lombardi Award watch list as a senior.

Camp fodder.

Probably....although the depth isn't very deep with only Dwayne Hendricks, UDFA Ibrahim Abdulai, and Martin Parker backing up the big 3 (Canty, Austin, Joseph). I think Tuck has been known to switch inside on a few plays, but it's not common.

It's official, Gabe Watson is signed to a contract.

According to unnamed sources, Reese said, "shut up, you had me at vet minimum" :rolleyes:

He's played nose in a 3-4 his whole career. Now he gets to play half nose and maybe he'll turn out to be the second coming of Robbins....that would be nice.

gabewatson.jpg

Heard the same thing about Jonas Seawright. Gabe Watson has one thing going for him and that is size. Lacks the motivation and takes most plays off.

I'm not even thinking of Gabe Watson.

Heard the same thing about Jonas Seawright. Gabe Watson has one thing going for him and that is size. Lacks the motivation and takes most plays off.

Watson at least had some buzz coming out of Michigan, got a lot of Dan Wilkinson comparisons.

Yes, that fat tub of lard Dan Wilkinson.

Probably best just to look at this guy as a veteran body for camp, its such a long shot he could ever contribute.