SportsWrath

Anyone else see the irony in this?

Herc

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler was sacked nine times, and Ditka said part of the problem was the time it took Cutler to release the ball.

"I don't think anybody was open down field, because they had seven in coverage, but the quarterback has to get the ball out of his hands, too," Ditka said Monday on "Mike & Mike" on ESPN Radio. "He looked like he was not even aware of the pressure around him.

"That's all part of football, the quarterback has to have that little clock in his head that says 'I have to get rid of the football.' Jay Cutler didn't have it yesterday, that's for sure. "

Former NFL MVP Kurt Warner played in offensive coordinator Mike Martz's system and agrees with Ditka.

"[The Bears] are going to keep the pedal down, they're going to continue to take chances but so much of it as a quarterback is just making quick decisions, understanding what's going on up front and that you can't sit back and just wait for the big play every time," Warner said Monday on "The Mike & Mike Show" on ESPN Radio. "Sometimes you've just got to say it's not there initially, let's just get the ball out of my hands and let somebody else do something with it."

i guess some QB's need the right system to thrive. In retrospect, it must have been hard for Warner in the Giants system.

Why else would he look so bad here and so good in Az? (besides talent at receiver, that is)

It's as much Martz's system as anything else. It just doesn't do well at all with our style of defense--it didn't when he was in St. Louis, and it certainly won't do well with the lesser talent in Chicago.

But yeah, you can get a full belly feasting on the irony of Warner's comments.

The Bears are 3-1. They've beaten Green Bay and Dallas on the road. This is not a bad team if they fucking gave the kid some help last night, and their defense wasn't half bad.

Very true. Chicago's defense kept them in the game until very late....I was very worried that the Giants offense or special teams were going to let them steal that game.

Very true. Chicago's defense kept them in the game until very late....I was very worried that the Giants offense or special teams were going to let them steal that game.

In a strange way, dodge's punting helped because it was so damn inconsistant hester had to be confused back there

Again I must take the side of the Giants Defense on this.

The Bears did their best, and have beaten some good teams who can pressure the QB like Dallas. I did not see Cutler doing anything other QBs dont do when their receivers are covered and the Hun is at the door.......he could have thrown it away.....his only option. In a lot of cases he could not even get his feet set to throw it away....hes not the most mobile QB

The problem for the Bears Sunday night was the Giants front 7 coming out of their coma at a bad time for Jay Cutler and the Bears

If this keeps up and was done without Kiwanuka even in there, we might ride to the SB in Dallas like the little piggie screaming wee wee wee........ all the way home to another Lombardi trophy

New England seems to have gotten their act back together perhaps we will face them, or the Jets.....more likely Pittsburg

Again I must take the side of the Giants Defense on this.

The Bears did their best, and have beaten some good teams who can pressure the QB like Dallas. I did not see Cutler doing anything other QBs dont do when their receivers are covered and the Hun is at the door.......he could have thrown it away.....his only option. In a lot of cases he could not even get his feet set to throw it away....hes not the most mobile QB

The problem for the Bears Sunday night was the Giants front 7 coming out of their coma at a bad time for Jay Cutler and the Bears

If this keeps up and was done without Kiwanuka even in there, we might ride to the SB in Dallas like the little piggie screaming wee wee wee........ all the way home to another Lombardi trophy

New England seems to have gotten their act back together perhaps we will face them, or the Jets.....more likely Pittsburg

He was holding on to the ball entirely way too long, though....Martz system or not, Cutler was shook from the moment he first got sacked.

yeah i agree. i just find it funny that he's criticizing anyone for holding onto the ball too long and taking the sack

oh I just got that :doh:

And yea I agree.. but I like Kurt.. just had a brainfart.. or maybe he's just right.. and he now realizes oh shit.. he was kindda like that :)

Mike Martz and Lovie Smith were both coordinators under Vermeil in St Louis.

Lovie Smith's defenses were built to stop an offense that was likely playing from behind, or in a shootout.

Lovie Smith and Fewell both play a version of the Cover-2 (Tampa -2)

So, it's sort of understandable that our defense matched up pretty well against what Martz was trying to do.

Similarly, the Bears were pretty effective in slowing the Giants down.

The difference was that our defensive line was utterly dominant, and our running game finally got going in the 2nd half.