SportsWrath

Warning Signs With Kiwi?

Mr. P

Mathias Kiwanuka knows exactly what the Jets’ Darrelle Revis and Nick Mangold are feeling right now. He knows because he’s in a similar situation, so he understands why they’re criticizing their team and taking a hard stance on negotiations.

It’s an approach Kiwanuka does not believe is in his best interests.

At least not yet.

Wednesday, on the second day of the Giants’ minicamp, the former first-round pick and (as of now) starting right defensive end hinted he’s not pleased with the way the team has approached his contract situation as he enters the final year of his rookie deal. Kiwanuka also alluded he might soon take a different public stance on the matter.

“I have not heard from them about my contract. Obviously, that’s what I want,” Kiwanuka told The Star-Ledger. “But I’ll sit down with my agent, discuss the right strategy and pick a right time and approach to bring it up.”

Asked if he foresees himself engaging in any strong tactics, such as a training-camp holdout, Kiwanuka replied, “I haven’t made a final decision on it. I haven’t ruled it out, but I haven’t decided to go that way yet.”

Kiwanuka, who has 19½ sacks in his first four seasons (a number that would be higher if not for a broken leg in 2007 and a brief move to linebacker), is one of many players who have been affected by the lack of progress in discussions about a new collective bargaining agreement. A lack of a CBA extension means this season will not have a salary cap.

In an uncapped season, contract extensions are hampered by a rule that states yearly base salary increases can be no higher than 30 percent of what the players earned the previous year. That means the bulk of the bigger deals would have to be paid in signing bonus and, thus, guaranteed. Teams are obviously hesitant about guaranteeing the greater portion of a player’s salary.

“We’ll see what happens with the new (CBA),” Giants general manager Jerry Reese said when asked about Kiwanuka, whose base salary this season is $1.776 million. “There’s not much we can do right now except wait to see what happens. Hopefully, everybody plays great this season; that’s when the money comes.”

Still, Revis, Mangold, Kiwanuka and others obviously believe there's wiggle room.

"The way teams around the league are taking advantage of the upcoming lockout year, it’s understandable for guys to hold out or do whatever they feel is necessary," Kiwanuka said. "Each situation is different, each person has to evaluate for themselves. But if it’s beneficial for them and their families to hold out, I can understand it."

Reese said he’s had conversations with both Kiwanuka and defensive tackle Barry Cofield, who is a restricted free agent because of the CBA issues, as well as Kiwanuka’s agents, Tom Condon and Ben Dogra.

“They know what’s going on. It’s not a secret,” Reese said. “They know our hands are tied. They know we always try to get deals done with players before they get to the end of their contracts. But we’re in a difficult situation.”

Of course, even Kiwanuka realizes his situation is different than that of Mangold or Revis because his status with the team beyond this season would be clouded even if there weren’t CBA issues.

With Osi Umenyiora wanting a new deal and rookie first-round pick Jason Pierre-Paul on board, it’s unclear where Kiwanuka stands in the team’s thinking moving forward. And if he got a new mega-deal, Justin Tuck might come knocking on Jerry Reese’s door soon afterward.

“A lot of things,” Kiwanuka said with a laugh when asked why his situation differs from some other players with one year left on their deals. “A lot of vague, unspecific things.”

Asked whether those things were coming from his camp or the Giants, Kiwanuka replied with a grin, “Both.”

Though a holdout would seem out of character for Kiwanuka – and perhaps unlikely because it could result in his losing his starting job to Umenyiora – the fact he could even consider one throws another potential kink into the Giants’ plans for their defensive ends. Umenyiora created plenty of noise in the offseason and, though he’s been in attendance for much of the offseason program, hinted Tuesday he won’t accept a backup role behind Kiwanuka if he believes he’s playing his best football.

Kiwanuka also isn’t budging in his expectations.

“No. 1 is winning the games, No. 2 is staying in the lineup,” he said of his priorities. “There are no doubts that’s where I belong. I’m focused, I feel like I’m capable, I’m ready to fill that role. After that, just play football and let everything take care of itself.”

That doesn’t mean Kiwanuka anticipates chaos and backstabbing among his fellow linemen.

“We can maintain a friendly competition because that’s where we need everybody’s minds to be – in that position in order for us to get our best foot forward,” he said. “You get everybody in the right mindset to know, ‘When I’m on the field, I’m the best player out there. I’m going to pass rush, I’m going to run stop, I’m going to react as such.’”

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/06/mathias_kiwanuka_talks_about_h.html

Those are not warning signs.. the Giants FO need to get off their collective asses and reward this guy for being a good soldier.

The Giants F.O should be in no rush in doing so. He really doesn't have much of a leg to stand on..if he does sit out...that just gives Osi and JPP more snaps in training camp and you can pretty much forget about the starting position for a few weeks.

Lets be honest here guys...as much as I like Kiwanuka as a player and person...he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

Right now, Steve Smith should be the number 1 priority on the Giants F.O agenda.

Those are not warning signs.. the Giants FO need to get off their collective asses and reward this guy for being a good soldier.

they are about as much of warning signs as the osi ones are.

and i agree with golf, smith should be the priority of FA.

they are about as much of warning signs as the osi ones are.

and i agree with golf, smith should be the priority of FA.

Smith, Boss and Kiwi.

Some team out in the AFC West (Cough **Raiders**Cough) is going to over pay for his services and be very disappointed.

Just a reminder: the Giants defense was the worst I've ever seen.

Worst. In my lifetime. And I'm no longer a young man.

The notion that defensive players expect to be rewarded for giving me diarrhea is laughable.

The Giants F.O should be in no rush in doing so. He really doesn't have much of a leg to stand on..if he does sit out...that just gives Osi and JPP more snaps in training camp and you can pretty much forget about the starting position for a few weeks.

Lets be honest here guys...as much as I like Kiwanuka as a player and person...he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

Right now, Steve Smith should be the number 1 priority on the Giants F.O agenda.

I think when Kiwi gets regulafr playing time he's been fine. But you can't have a guy stop starting positions like he's done.

Everything else you say is pretty much on the money, Kiwi's status has weakened considerably.

All of these things are true.

I think when Kiwi gets regulafr playing time he's been fine. But you can't have a guy stop starting positions like he's done.

Everything else you say is pretty much on the money, Kiwi's status has weakened considerably.

If Kiwi holds out, he needs to hire a new agent....no agent should advise him to do that. Especially with the resources that the Giants currently have at defensive end. If he wants the money...he needs to show up at camp and beat out Osi for it..which I think he will...he can stop the run better.

Can't believe you added Boss to that list.:laugh:

Smith, Boss and Kiwi.

Some team out in the AFC West (Cough **Raiders**Cough) is going to over pay for his services and be very disappointed.

Agreed, he's always there when Manning needs him. He's made more clutch catches than Shockey ever did.

It seems to me that Eli tends not to look to Boss as a check down, for some reason...seems like many of Boss's catches come on plays designed to go to him...I could be wrong, but it seems that Smith and whoever is playing in the slot at the time are more the go to guys in cases where the protection breaks down...Eli tends to force a lot of balls instead of checking down to tight ends and running backs....one of his biggest flaws, IMO

It seems to me that Eli tends not to look to Boss as a check down, for some reason...seems like many of Boss's catches come on plays designed to go to him...I could be wrong, but it seems that Smith and whoever is playing in the slot at the time are more the go to guys in cases where the protection breaks down...Eli tends to force a lot of balls instead of checking down to tight ends and running backs....one of his biggest flaws, IMO

The way our post-Tiki RBs catch you can't blame him.

Agreed, he's always there when Manning needs him. He's made more clutch catches than Shockey ever did.

We just don't utilize Boss enough,he could be a 80 catch, 12 TD type of TE, but ahhhhhhh nevermind, its like a beating a deadhorse

Ahmad has potential, but so far his hands are...questionable.

I have high hopes for Andre Brown. But that achilles, I don't know...:ermm:

What's with his Achilles? As you know I tore the fuck out of mine 4 months ago.. I'm now able to run.. but not ready to play sports. Jogging lightly in a str8 line.. that's it.

Boss is the only true tight end we have on the roster...you want to lose him? I sure as hell don't.

I agree....Boss has done a great job, in my opinion. If they threw too him more, he'd have fatter numbers, but the guy catches everything that comes his way, and usually takes a least one wicked shot per game.

His only problem is that Eli has a lot of targets to throw to.

What's with his Achilles? As you know I tore the fuck out of mine 4 months ago.. I'm now able to run.. but not ready to play sports. Jogging lightly in a str8 line.. that's it.

Blew it out last year in training camp. I hear he looked like the most complete RB on the team until his injury. I can't think of any RBs who have had the injury and come back.

Kiwi has been a bit of a disappointment to me

Ever since he let the QB get away something went out in his firebox

I would have like to have seen him continue at OLBer......he was creating a new dimension to the D

too bad.....at DE he is OK........not spectacular

they are experimenting with JPP, and Kiwi at DE and OSI and Tuck at DT on passing downs

that ought to get some QBs attention

Blew it out last year in training camp. I hear he looked like the most complete RB on the team until his injury. I can't think of any RBs who have had the injury and come back.

Sheesh thanks.. lol. I'll tell you how I feel in 8 more months.. since they say it takes a year to get back to "normal"

Sheesh thanks.. lol. I'll tell you how I feel in 8 more months.. since they say it takes a year to get back to "normal"

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Hopefully, when you are back at 100%, your posts will return to their old quality, too.