SportsWrath

If McClain goes early, Mike Iupati makes alot of sense.

JMFP

Im all-in on Rolando McClain.....Im done with rationalizing why the Giants havent gone #1 at the LB position since Carl Banks. As any longbeard will tell you, the Giants are about defense, and the defense is about linebackers.

However, if McClain is gone, and we can land another impact defensive player, Im open to it….but weve got to get a LB within the 1st 2 rounds.

I read a story about a monstrous guard from Idaho (Mike Iupati) who could be on the board if McClain is gone by #15.

Pass blocking: Good initial quickness off the snap. Provides a significant jolt to the defender with his punch. Too high in his pass protection but has the strong hands to latch on to the defender and ride him throughout the play. Good balance and lateral agility to slide with the defender and remain square. Can get himself in trouble with leverage by playing too high. Long arms and great lower strength to lock out. Rarely takes a step back even against a powerful bull rush, but this could be an area of concern against NFL defensive linemen, especially when Iupati fails to move his feet. Has developed into a savvy blocker. Looks to help out his teammates when not covered. Wants to hit someone.

Run Blocking: Can dominate as a run blocker due to his mass and rare upper-body strength. Provides an explosive initial pop that often knocks the defender back. Has to do a better job of latching on, as he'll knock his opponent back only to see him regroup and get back into the play. Very good drive blocker when he plays with leverage and keeps his hands inside. Can physically remove the defender from the hole. Looks to eliminate more than one defender on the play and will release to the second level. Good effort downfield.

Pulling/trapping: Surprisingly agile in getting out and blocking at the second level. Good body control and straight-line speed for a player of his size. Can re-adjust in space to hit the linebacker. Fails to lock onto the defender, at times, preferring to violently shove his target to the ground and look for others.

Initial Quickness: Good initial quickness off the snap in pass protection. Even on the rare occasions when beaten off the snap, his long arms and wide-body make it difficult for defenders (including blitzing linebackers) to sneak through his gap. When beaten by quicker defensive tackles in the running game, has the agility and long arms to catch them as they slide by, typically knocking them down and pancaking them.

Downfield: Intimidating presence on the move. Good athleticism and balance for a man his size and can redirect to make the effective block when he gets close. Will misjudge angles at times, and miss his intended target. When he does so, rather than turn to stand helplessly around the pile, he moves on to the next target. Good effort to block downfield.

Intangibles: Made significant progress over the past two seasons and appears to be just scratching the surface of his potential. Size and athleticism combination enough that some will view him as a better offensive tackle or even defensive tackle prospect. Born in American Samoa and moved to the United States at 14. Began learning English (and football) at that time. Has only played football since high school. Signed with Idaho after bigger programs had concerns about his ability to qualify academically. Voted team captain by his peers for 2009.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1137494?tag=playerRatings;players

As much as I want the Giants to go with defense, if the Giants could land an interior partner for Chris Snee, our power running game should be back to its roadpaving standards.

If the Giants can dependably count for 3+ yards between the tackles, it changes pretty much everything. And power-running is like peanut butter and jelly for those same longbeards who love their defense.

Therefore, a monstrous guard like Iupati makes a terrific consolation prize.....he's about the only guy I could see on offense making sense at the #1 pick.

I think I'd rather go with an OT or guard in the first round, so long as we get Sean Lee in the second. Or a DT (Robbins is gone, and I don't trust Rocky Bernard). If Iupati is as good as I've read, I wouldn't complain.

Honestly, all the videos I've seen makes me think none of the MLBs are worth the 15th pick--they'll all need work, and the whole "I have crohn's/no I don't" BS around McLean doesn't look very good. So we may as well draft a couple LBs in the later rounds and see what happens there.

Heh, maybe we DO trade Osi, draft a NT, and draft Lee and Spikes. Kiwi goes back to LB, and Canty and Tuck are DEs. Sintim and Kiwi become pass-rushing LBs, Spikes goes in on running downs (if nothing else, he's good in traffic), and Lee and Boley handle pass coverage. Just a strange, 1 a.m. thought.

I hope Sintim's finally ready to play.

Me too. I think he'll be tremendous on the field. I am with JoeMorris, I would love to have either McClain or Iupati. Both make great sense. The Giants are known for D, and if McClain is all that hes hyped to be, you can never have too strong a defense. But I personally have faith in the young guys that are there, and still think we could pull a guy Like Kirk Morrison via a trade, so nabbing Iupati wold be great also.

I just want the draft to start. I planned my day at work around it. :)

How awesome would it be if we traded Osi for Morrison and the Raiders' 2nd? Just tell Al Davis Osi runs a 4.45. :)

I have mixed feelings on McClain. I like his smarts and intelligence, and he's more athletic than Pierce, for sure... but he doesn't run as well as a Weatherspoon, and like fishgut says, the Chrohns thing is just sort of weird. On the other hand, we had a smart guy in there for years with average-to-slightly-below-average athleticism and that worked out pretty well for five years or so. I'd be happy with the pick; it would be a sensible pick.

If McClain is gone, I think we should take Weatherspoon... if I remember correctly, the Ravens took an undersized guy who could really run at MLB one time who played with crazy intensity and it worked out pretty well for them.

I love Iaputi as well, but I like him more a few spots down. I wouldn't be upset with a pick like that though. No one can deny that the Alan Fanecas and Larry Allens of the world win you Super Bowls.

I'd also take a top-flight LT if he's available.

Why waste a pick on that when we Blackburn. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't rule out a "Trade Blackburn for all of the Saint's draft picks" scenario, like the Ricky Williams trade.

Stranger things have happened.

Wasn't the plan for the OLine to have Whimper (or Beatty?) developed enough to move Diehl back in to OG? If we pick Iupati then our previous OT picks are only viewed back-ups (or replacements for MacKenzie).

McKenzie's injuries seem to be growing more and more constant....wouldn't be bad to plan for Diehl/Beatty for OTs. I don't know that Whimper has shown starting material just yet.

Iupati will be a pro-bowler...soon. Great pick up by San Francisco.

Singletary is taking a page from the Ditka Bears playbook. The 1985 Bears had an amazing defense, but a very good, physical offensive line too.

Iupati will be a pro-bowler...soon. Great pick up by San Francisco.

Singletary is taking a page from the Ditka Bears playbook. The 1985 Bears had an amazing defense, but a very good, physical offensive line too.

yeah they got themselves book ends that should be in place for 15 yrs.