SportsWrath

Mara Supports O.T. Changes

BronxRik

Giants’ Mara supports overtime changes

Posted: March 21st, 2010

Another member of the NFL Competition Committee has come out to publicly support changes to playoff overtime rules. Giants president and CEO John Mara hopes he and the other owners can pass a modified overtime rule.

Mara doesn’t sound optimistic, though.

“I still think it’s an uphill battle because you have to get 24 votes to change it,” Mara told Bob Glauber of Newsday. “I don’t know if there are enough people around the league willing to change the current system.”

Mara’s skepticism will be put to the test this week when owners vote on Wednesday. We’ve heard one report already supporting his theory, as Vikings beat writer Judd Zulgad of the Star Tribune tweeted Sunday that Minnesota is one of the teams not in favor of the change. The Vikings, of course, were the team that lost the NFC title game to the Saints without getting a possession in overtime.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher, a co-chairman of the committee, came out this week as in favor of the changes.

NFL.com senior columnist Vic Carucci previewed this week’s meetings with a look at the proposed changes, saying while it’s a great first step, it doesn’t go far enough to address the problem.

Linkage

:TD:

What "problem"? You had 60 minutes to win the game. You're in overtime. You lose the coin toss and your D doesn't stop the opposing offense. You lose the game on a F/G. Those have been the rules since 1958. It's part of football. Quit crying and take the loss like a man, not a spoiled 5 year old who wants another chance. WTF is happening to football?

Linkage

:TD:

What "problem"? You had 60 minutes to win the game. You're in overtime. You lose the coin toss and your D doesn't stop the opposing offense. You lose the game on a F/G. Those have been the rules since 1958. It's part of football. Quit crying and take the loss like a man, not a spoiled 5 year old who wants another chance. WTF is happening to football?

I don't see the problems with the rules as is, but if the other team was guaranteed one possession, it could make things more exciting.

I don't see the problems with the rules as is, but if the other team was guaranteed one possession, it could make things more exciting.

I'd like to agree because I want to see as much football as possible, but the truth is it would only drag out an already 'won' game. Plus, there will only be uproar when the team with the first possession loses when the team with the 2nd possession wins. If the NFL finds it so important that the rules be changed for playoff games, it should apply all season, which I definitely do not want to see. But if you're going to give 2nd chances during the most important games of the season, then at least the same chance should be given during the season so more teams have a shot at getting to the most important games of the season. This is just further pussification of football in my opinion.

Just make it first team to score 6. This eliminates the "cheap field goal" win but still rewards the team that scores a TD first.

I agree with this, I know the opposing D has a chance to stop a team but most teams who win the toss are thinking fg which means they are only playing for 40 to 50 yards and then setting up the kicker with three cheap up the gut handoffs. I would like to see teams have to score a TD be a little more aggresive in O.T.

Just make it first team to score 6. This eliminates the "cheap field goal" win but still rewards the team that scores a TD first.

That I could agree with... but taking away the sudden death possibility would make OT less exciting. The best game I ever saw was the Giants at Eagles in Philly on Halloween 99 or 2000. Strahan intercepts the ball for a pick 6... game OVER!

That I could agree with... but taking away the sudden death possibility would make OT less exciting. The best game I ever saw was the Giants at Eagles in Philly on Halloween 99 or 2000. Strahan intercepts the ball for a pick 6... game OVER!

yes i'm down with that. seeing a hard fought game decided by a coin toss,bad kickoff, first down, 3 running plays and a field goal is kind of anti-climactic. they are over thinking things on Park ave.

i dont want them to change the rules at all, the rules are fine, if you lose the coin toss and want to win then play defense.

but IF they change them i would vote for making over time just a fifth quarter played all the way through. maybe shortened but just play it all the way through til the clock hits zero.

i dont want them to change the rules at all, the rules are fine, if you lose the coin toss and want to win then play defense.

but IF they change them i would vote for making over time just a fifth quarter played all the way through. maybe shortened but just play it all the way through til the clock hits zero.

and then what?

How about a "shoot out". QB 30 yards out, three receivers, three defenders. QB has 5 seconds to release the ball. Best of 5 wins.

i was thinking RB vs. LB (when we get one). RB has to get over the back line between the goal posts, LB has to keep him out.

Best of 5

Isn't this pretty much the rule change they are voting on? If a TD is scored the game is over. If the first team kicks a FG, they have to kick off. If the second team scores a TD, game over. If it's a FG the OT reverts to sudden death. That's the way I understand it.

Isn't this pretty much the rule change they are voting on? If a TD is scored the game is over. If the first team kicks a FG, they have to kick off. If the second team scores a TD, game over. If it's a FG the OT reverts to sudden death. That's the way I understand it.

That is the the new possible rules and the receiving team only wins about 40% of the time. Win it in regulation and if you play for OT then you take your chances.

That is the the new possible rules and the receiving team only wins about 40% of the time. Win it in regulation and if you play for OT then you take your chances.

Tree was correct:

Goodell Supportive of Overtime Modification - NYTimes.com http://nyti.ms/9GB8rT---

Statistics examined by the committee showed that since 1994, teams winning the coin toss win the game 59.8 percent of the time. The team that loses the toss wins the game 38.5 percent in that 15-year span, or since kickoffs were moved back 5 yards to the 30.

From watching NFL TA the new system would work almost like OT that is in place. They start with a coin toss if the receiving team runs the kick back for a TD they win. The team that receives if they put up a TD they win the game, if they only manage a FG the other team takes the field. The other team then needs to match the FG or play for a TD for the win. If both teams kick a FG in OT then it goes back to the sudden death format in which the first team to score wins.

When does the receiving team only win about 40% of the time?

I like the rule change. Teams definately play for FGs in OT. It's much more exciting when teams are taking shots in the endzone and this rule change would make that happen. There is no reward for a TD in OT right now. I just wish they would do it for the regular season also. Baby steps I guess.