SportsWrath

Sheridan fired

JMFP

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=9476656

New York Giants defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan has been fired.

Coach Tom Coughlin dismissed the rookie coordinator late Monday afternoon, just hours after saying that Sheridan's future with the team was going to be evaluated in the wake of an 8-8 season that ended with losses in eight of the final 11 games.

The defense struggled this season, giving up 427 points, ranking it third from the bottom in the NFL. Only the Detroit Lions and St. Louis Rams gave up more points.

Sheridan was elevated from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator after Steve Spagnuolo became the Rams' coach. Spagnuolo was the architect of the defense that led the Giants to a Super Bowl win over the previously unbeaten New England Patriots in February 2008.

well i guess he was right....he had no reason to worry about getting fired :confused:

the poor bastaaad ought to have been allowed to coach form the booth as he had asked

this is what happens to people who bench Blackburn LOL

i dont think his presence on the sideline got anyone fired up.....but us fans

now if reese will just set coughy packng we can re-establish the franchise

Giants owner rips team, but won't fire coach or GM

PRINT EMAIL RSS

ADD THIS

9 comments »

Updated Jan 4, 2010 6:08 PM EDT

New York Giants co-owner John Mara says this 8-8 season felt more like 2-14.

Mara on Monday ripped his team after it ended its season with a second straight embarrassing loss. Mara said he was disappointed and unhappy with everyone in the organization after the Giants, who started 5-0, lost eight of their final 11 games.

Mara promised changes, but said that neither coach Tom Coughlin nor general manager Jerry Reese would be fired.

There are coaches and players in jeopardy. Mara said he was angry at the lack of mental and physical toughness as the season progressed and the lack of effort in the last two weeks, particularly in their final game in Giants Stadium -- a 41-9 loss to Carolina.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Giants-owner-rips-team-010410

Wow, give him a couple of days.

Mara seems genuinely pissed.

Why? I'm releived this finally took place. I don't know why the kept him around till, had the been able to land someone when we were 7-6, maybe we'd be looking forward to next week.

Why? I'm releived this finally took place. I don't know why the kept him around till, had the been able to land someone when we were 7-6, maybe we'd be looking forward to next week.

An evaluation of the team as a whole could have taken place and then fire him. No matter what happens now, the players are going to get a break as they won't be seen as the main problem, when in fact many of them are. Guys like Dockery/Bernard/ Johnson didn't even bother to try this year. I'd can their asses first, and that's coming from a guy who has stood behind Dockery and Johnson in the past, but they were deplorable.People will say there were worse players on d, like CC etc, but these 2 guys have been around for a while and should be better. Dockery is a fool for not stepping it up, because he knew going in he needed a big season.

Guest StrahansGap

Mara said today that he felt like his 8-8 Giants were actually 2-14. Ouch! :o

Here's the transcript from fox 5:

I am disappointed in everybody, in everything," Mara said less than 24 hours after a season-ending 44-7 loss in Minnesota. "I am unhappy with everyone. It's just not acceptable to perform like that. There are 8-8 seasons and there are 8-8 seasons, but this one felt like more like 2-14 to me."

Even after this fuckall season, I have a huge smile on my face. MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED. Im glad this happened the way it did because it was necessary. If we follow the normal procedure, do some evaluation bullshit and then pack him a month down the line it wont have the same effect. The way it happened was necessary to drive home a point.

But Im not too sold on Mara saying TC will stay. The GM definitely should stay. But TC - though he is a good coach - is outdated. We need fresh blood.