SportsWrath

Romeo Crennel likely to join the Chiefs as DC

JMFP

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4792324

Romeo Crennel is expected to return to coaching in the NFL by joining the staff of the Kansas City Chiefs next season, according to to multiple league sources.

Kansas City wanted to hire the former Cleveland Browns head coach as its defensive coordinator last offseason, but his hip surgery made it too challenging a prospect.

Hiring Crennel would be one of the first steps it would take in its defensive makeover. Clancy Pendergast is the current defensive coordinator for the Chiefs.

Kansas City waited throughout last offseason to hire Crennel and now is expected to be waiting for him once again.

Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli worked with Crennel in New England.

To call Crennel to wish him good luck in Kansas City?

Crennel isn't coming to NY, its not even on the way to KC.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants make an overture to RC.

He is well-regarded by Mara and Tisch; he was a leading candidate prior to Coughlin being hired.

It won't happen. Crennel was a leading candidate on the message boards...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants make an overture to RC.

He is well-regarded by Mara and Tisch; he was a leading candidate prior to Coughlin being hired.

REESE YOU STOOPID IMGRATE! PICK UP THE PHONE DOOD!! CALL ROMEO ROMEO NOW!

But in anycase, Reese is going back to Pioli. Ill wet my bed if the Giants can get him as DC. But Im more concerned with the 4-3, 3-4 switch though. What about Jauron? Is he available?

What about Lovie?

He he - Irony - we are thinking about our future DCs who are guys names Romeo and Lovie :)

REESE YOU STOOPID IMGRATE! PICK UP THE PHONE DOOD!! CALL ROMEO ROMEO NOW!

But in anycase, Reese is going back to Pioli. Ill wet my bed if the Giants can get him as DC. But Im more concerned with the 4-3, 3-4 switch though. What about Jauron? Is he available?

What about Lovie?

He he - Irony - we are thinking about our future DCs who are guys names Romeo and Lovie :)

lovie's staying put.

RC is okay, not bad. Not sure if I saw any genius when his hand wasn't being held by a legendary coach.

How about we find someone else who believes in a pressure package like Spags. There must be someone else out there that doesn't believe in soft zones and has the balls to risk.

I don't know if Jim Johnson was the best or worst thing for the Eagles, but one thing's certain: when it came time for his protege to bring some balls to our team, it made the difference. If we did get such a person, would we even have the people for it? no Four Aces package anymore? No DT worth a shit?

I don't envy Jerry Reese.

RC is okay, not bad. Not sure if I saw any genius when his hand wasn't being held by a legendary coach.

How about we find someone else who believes in a pressure package like Spags. There must be someone else out there that doesn't believe in soft zones and has the balls to risk.

I don't know if Jim Johnson was the best or worst thing for the Eagles, but one thing's certain: when it came time for his protege to bring some balls to our team, it made the difference. If we did get such a person, would we even have the people for it? no Four Aces package anymore? No DT worth a shit?

I don't envy Jerry Reese.

I'd say the Eagles weakness is their defense. The Cowboys and Giants rolled on them.

Romeo brings instant credibility.... 5 Super Bowls under Parcells and Belichick. His only failing is at Cleveland, which is where good coaches apparently go to get fired.

---thats funny---

Romeo Crennel is interested in becoming the Giants' next defensive coordinator.

But so am I. The real question is whether the Giants will be interested in Crennel - or anyone else who wants to pick up where Bill Sheridan failed. And from the sound of things it could be a while before Tom Coughlin reaches a final decision and comes up with a new hire.

In the meantime, I know we're all looking for the latest info, but I want to be careful to make sure I'm not just throwing darts here. And I'm telling you, information is not flowing very heavily here. The Giants are keeping this quiet, and I expect it to remain that way throughout this process.

That being said, here are the minor nuggets we heard recently:

Crennel's agent told me his client would be interested in the Giants' gig. Again, so are a bunch of other people. But Crennel does have quite a bunch of skins on his wall, as Jerry Reese and others like to say, after Super Bowl-winning stints as an assistant with the Giants and Patriots. ESPN reported recently the Chiefs were planning to hire Crennel, who was the Browns' head coach from 2005-08, though the report didn't indicate for which coaching position. Tuesday, NFL.com reported the Chiefs retained their entire defensive staff, including defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast, save for one assistant: defensive line coach Tim Krumrie.

Now, will Crennel, a defensive line coach with the Giants, Patriots and Jets from 1990-99 slide into that role? Possibly. But that seems like quite the slide backward for a guy that's been a coordinator and a head coach.

Another problem would be Crennel's being a coach for teams that played 3-4 defenses while the Giants have been a 4-3 team for a long while. But I think they can do that, and I plan on breaking it down sometime soon for you.

If the Giants pass on Romeo in order to grab another fucking no-name, I'll shit my pants. And I can't see Mara buying that either.

Here's the deal....Romeo wants to be a head coach again. Before Coughlin was hired, Romeo was a candidate for the HC job. Where else but with the organization where he got his start under Parcells?

Coughlin has two years left on his contract....my guess is that he finishes 2010, and then in 2011 either retires or else takes some front office / consulting job within the organization.....and then Romeo gets bumped up from DC to HC.

And if Coughlin wants Mara off his ass, who better to bring on board then a guy that has 5 SB rings as an assistant under Parcells and Belichick?

My spidey senses are tingling.

If the Giants pass on Romeo in order to grab another fucking no-name, I'll shit my pants. And I can't see Mara buying that either.

Here's the deal....Romeo wants to be a head coach again. Before Coughlin was hired, Romeo was a candidate for the HC job. Where else but with the organization where he got his start under Parcells?

Coughlin has two years left on his contract....my guess is that he finishes 2010, and then in 2011 either retires or else takes some front office / consulting job within the organization.....and then Romeo gets bumped up from DC to HC.

And if Coughlin wants Mara off his ass, who better to bring on board then a guy that has 5 SB rings as an assistant under Parcells and Belichick?

My spidey senses are tingling.

Its a damn good fit...but...would we really want him as head coach?

Its a damn good fit...but...would we really want him as head coach?

I suppose it really depends on how the team is doing. If they regain their form, it might be a good idea to promote from within.

My guess is RC will have better success as DC than HC.

I was thinking the same thing. Some people are damn good as Co-ordinators, but suck balls as HC. Gregg Williams, Crennel, Weiss, Martz, Jauron and the list goes on. He will be a lot more successful if he stuck to the DC reins for a while. I swear, Ill wet the bed if we land him as our DC. Him or Jauron. Throw in Weiss as OC and voila! Ill pass out till offseason.

I'll say it again, Romeo Crennel isn't coming here. Its hilarious to think he'll come here with the possibility of taking over as head coach down the line. If there is anyone who has a shot at the job who used to be a head coach it would be Dick Jauron.

I'll say it again, Romeo Crennel isn't coming here. Its hilarious to think he'll come here with the possibility of taking over as head coach down the line. If there is anyone who has a shot at the job who used to be a head coach it would be Dick Jauron.

2. Crennel's agent has confirmed that Romeo is interested in the Giant's job.
  3. Crennel interviewed for the head coaching position with the Giants before Coughlin was hired.
  4. Crennel was a former Giant assistant coach.
  5. Judging from Mara's comments the other day, it's pretty clear that Mara is plenty pissed off. Replacing an inexperienced and obviously overmatched Sheridan with someone of Crennel's experience and roots with the Giants organization is hardly a risky move.

Given all that, I question why you would call this scenario "hilarious", especially given what Crennel's agent has said as recently as yesterday.

Granted it may not happen; in fact, it might be a canny move to drive up Romeo's price. But you seem to think this is nothing other than some sort of fan concoction, which is inaccurate.

What I think is hilarious is the notion that Dick Jauron would become head coach of the Giants. Given his track record with the Bears and Bills, it's pretty clear that Jauron's strong suit is defense, not Head Coach.

I don't think anything can be read into Romeo's tenure with the Browns, considering that organization has been hot garbage for years, and not even Bill Belichick had any measurable success there.

It's pretty clear to me that, given how the season has ended, everything needs to be looked at in a "how will John Mara and Bob Tisch think" mentality. Reese and Coughlin have job security, but not much in the way of leverage if their opinion doens't mesh with ownership. The Sheridan fire is a perfect example.

Your first point could simply be an agent being a good agent. His agent is simply using the Giants as leverage. Very similar to Warren Sap when he became a free agent and ended up in Oakland.

Crennel getting interviewed could be the Giants just following the Rooney rule. People were talking about the Giants going after Coughlin in late October early November that year and the Giants wasted no time after the season to bring him onboard.

There are quite a few former Giant assistant coaches floating around in the NFL, last time the Giants went to Philly to get a defensive coordinator.

I think there is a big risk in bringing in Crennel to coach a 4-3 defense since he's been coaching a 3-4.

All the scenarios with bringing in someone to groom for Coughlin's job are definitely funny.

1. Crennel's agent has confirmed that Romeo is interested in the Giant's job.
  2. Crennel interviewed for the head coaching position with the Giants before Coughlin was hired.
  3. Crennel was a former Giant assistant coach.
  4. Judging from Mara's comments the other day, it's pretty clear that Mara is plenty pissed off. Replacing an inexperienced and obviously overmatched Sheridan with someone of Crennel's experience and roots with the Giants organization is hardly a risky move.

Given all that, I question why you would call this scenario "hilarious", especially given what Crennel's agent has said as recently as yesterday.

Granted it may not happen; in fact, it might be a canny move to drive up Romeo's price. But you seem to think this is nothing other than some sort of fan concoction, which is inaccurate.

What I think is hilarious is the notion that Dick Jauron would become head coach of the Giants. Given his track record with the Bears and Bills, it's pretty clear that Jauron's strong suit is defense, not Head Coach.

I don't think anything can be read into Romeo's tenure with the Browns, considering that organization has been hot garbage for years, and not even Bill Belichick had any measurable success there.

It's pretty clear to me that, given how the season has ended, everything needs to be looked at in a "how will John Mara and Bob Tisch think" mentality. Reese and Coughlin have job security, but not much in the way of leverage if their opinion doens't mesh with ownership. The Sheridan fire is a perfect example.

Your first point could simply be an agent being a good agent. His agent is simply using the Giants as leverage. Very similar to Warren Sap when he became a free agent and ended up in Oakland.

Crennel getting interviewed could be the Giants just following the Rooney rule. People were talking about the Giants going after Coughlin in late October early November that year and the Giants wasted no time after the season to bring him onboard.

There are quite a few former Giant assistant coaches floating around in the NFL, last time the Giants went to Philly to get a defensive coordinator.

I think there is a big risk in bringing in Crennel to coach a 4-3 defense since he's been coaching a 3-4.

All the scenarios with bringing in someone to groom for Coughlin's job are definitely funny.

Yeah, you're right. After all, Coughlin is only 45....he'll be the Giants coach for at least another 10 years.

And Spags was a great fit.....for St Louis.

Just like Fox was awesome.....for Carolina.

The best defense in the league right now is the Cowboys....and really, that's the Giants defense on display. Watch them kick Donovan's ass for the 3rd time next weekend, and then tell me how scary a change to a 3-4 would be from our current "take it up the ass" scheme.

My guess is RC will have better success as DC than HC.

Yeah, Crennel seemed a little overwhelmed by the HC gig. I'd love to have him as DC (and I'll take some 3-4 growing pains to go with it), but I wouldn't do it if the promise of making him head coach down the road. Of course, the front office could always promise the job and then double-cross him.

Yeah, you're right. After all, Coughlin is only 45....he'll be the Giants coach for at least another 10 years.

And Spags was a great fit.....for St Louis.

Just like Fox was awesome.....for Carolina.

The best defense in the league right now is the Cowboys....and really, that's the Giants defense on display. Watch them kick Donovan's ass for the 3rd time next weekend, and then tell me how scary a change to a 3-4 would be from our current "take it up the ass" scheme.

Personally, I don't think the change warrants that much change in personnel. A few things here or there but who's to say we can't play both.. depending on what the opposing O is throwing at us.