SportsWrath

What the GIANTS NEED

GorillaNJ

cowher.jpg

Coughlin has had as much, if not more, success as Cowher has had. To be honest the real problem is that clearly Sheridan has taken the Lewis DC handbook which clearly doesn't work. How he can manage to get no pressure with this DLine is incredible.

Coughlin has had as much, if not more, success as Cowher has had. To be honest the real problem is that clearly Sheridan has taken the Lewis DC handbook which clearly doesn't work. How he can manage to get no pressure with this DLine is incredible.

They are totally different style coaches... Cowhers Steelers teams were a run first power offense and an attacking defense. Coughlin and his ASSistant coaches are playing finesse football with a 270lb running back and read and react defense with a mildly talented young secondary.

The D-line has been exposed for what it is... overrated.

I said we overpaid for Canty back in August... sometimes I hate being right. Tuck is hurt and Osi (for all his gasket-blowing on the sidelines) still hasn't learned a second pass rush move in year seven.

Robbins looks like he won't recover from his injury, and Coefield... is he even still on the team?

Kiwi may be a backup at this point in his career. These guys really miss Michael Strahan drawing double teams and giving them pointers.

We're in some trouble.

The oline stunk it up, the defense stunk it up.

It may be time for Gilbride to rethink his offense, and get Eli away from reading the defense: if he can't read it, that offense is sunk. Maybe it's time to get away from "read and react" offense and just dictate the plays. But do we even have the players to do that? Whatever the problem was, the oline didn't seem to block anyone, and very few plays seemed to get anywhere.

What the hell is going on with all the personal foul penalties on the defense lately? Even when they managed to stop them on 3rd down, there always seemed to be a 15-yarder going Denver's way. I'm not questioning the calls, just pointing out some really sloppy play.

It may be time for Gilbride to rethink his offense, and get Eli away from reading the defense: if he can't read it, that offense is sunk. Maybe it's time to get away from "read and react" offense and just dictate the plays. But do we even have the players to do that? Whatever the problem was, the oline didn't seem to block anyone, and very few plays seemed to get anywhere.

What the hell is going on with all the personal foul penalties on the defense lately? Even when they managed to stop them on 3rd down, there always seemed to be a 15-yarder going Denver's way. I'm not questioning the calls, just pointing out some really sloppy play.

We've seen the offense click this season, so I'm not nearly as worried about the offense as the defense.

I don't think Tuck is physically capable of doing his job right now....I think he's in far worse shape than he lets on. In 2007, he was an absolute terror. In 2009, he's just another guy.

Osi has clearly not recovered from his knee injury. Alot of people say that blown knees really take two years, and if so, that explains what's up with him. Or else, he's just mailing it in. I think he's just not the same Osi, for whatever reason.

Our linebacking unit is, for lack of a better description, terrible. On those rare occasions when they are in the proper position to make a play, they inevitably draw a blocker they can't shed. Denver ran at will up the middle, which set up everything else.

I've been harping on the need to rebuild our linebacking corps for several years....going back to that Panther playoff debacle. And what have we done about it - Danny Clark ( C ), Sintim (unknown), DeOssie (unknown) Goff (unknown), Kehl (unknown) Wilkinson (gone) Boley (C+).

When you look at what is going on in the secondary, there is a communication/coaching issue going on. We've all seen what sort of player Corey Webster is....it's not like a guy his age suddenly regresses physically.....instead, I think it's a "what the fuck am I supposed to be doing" issue......which is a coaching problem. The entire defense was nowhere to be found yesterday....It was like 11 v 8 out there.

Frankly, if we don't have a defensive line that can generate a pass rush, maybe next year it's time to think about a finding/drafting some linebackers with talent, and going to a 3-4.

We've seen the offense click this season, so I'm not nearly as worried about the offense as the defense.

I don't think Tuck is physically capable of doing his job right now....I think he's in far worse shape than he lets on. In 2007, he was an absolute terror. In 2009, he's just another guy.

Osi has clearly not recovered from his knee injury. Alot of people say that blown knees really take two years, and if so, that explains what's up with him. Or else, he's just mailing it in. I think he's just not the same Osi, for whatever reason.

Our linebacking unit is, for lack of a better description, terrible. On those rare occasions when they are in the proper position to make a play, they inevitably draw a blocker they can't shed. Denver ran at will up the middle, which set up everything else.

I've been harping on the need to rebuild our linebacking corps for several years....going back to that Panther playoff debacle. And what have we done about it - Danny Clark ( C ), Sintim (unknown), DeOssie (unknown) Goff (unknown), Kehl (unknown) Wilkinson (gone) Boley (C+).

When you look at what is going on in the secondary, there is a communication/coaching issue going on. We've all seen what sort of player Corey Webster is....it's not like a guy his age suddenly regresses physically.....instead, I think it's a "what the fuck am I supposed to be doing" issue......which is a coaching problem. The entire defense was nowhere to be found yesterday....It was like 11 v 8 out there.

Frankly, if we don't have a defensive line that can generate a pass rush, maybe next year it's time to think about a finding/drafting some linebackers with talent, and going to a 3-4.

The defense is in terrible shape. If Denver didn't have 3 false starts in a single set of downs, they would have have joined our non-exclusive 30+ points club.

It's OK, Joe, say it: our linebackers suck. Without Boley, I'd say late-season 2005 suck. When they put Kiwi in at MLB and he gets into more plays than Blackburn or Clark, that's bad. Blackburn is Nick Greisen II, the Uninjured. Clark is Clark, ok and that's it. And from what little I've seen from Sintim, isn't he really our way of finally filling the chasm left by Reggie Torbor's departure?

I have to admit I'm impressed with Boley, but he can't cover the whole field every play.

Webster is getting too many personal fouls. At least one helmet to helmet last night, and wasn't it him that got the face-mask call? He's too good a player for that cheap shit.

Sloppy, aggressive in all the wrong ways, unsure of their responsibilities. Toss in glaring lack of talent, crippling injuries (Alford was more important than we could have dreamed); and you have a disaster.

Blackburn is Nick Greisen II, the Uninjured.

Great assessment, especially comparing Blackburn to Greisen.

I like Boley as well, but the overall performance of this defense is dragging his grade down to a C+, at least in my opinion.

At the risk of spamming, I'd say someone needs to call Romeo Crennel before another staff picks him up. We could pop Romeo in the DC chair, and he'll be there as long as Coughlin is the HC.....since he's done the Head Coach thing, we don't need to worry about another team nabbing him. And with 3 Super Bowl rings as DC under Belichick, I can't thing of a better qualified guy. Plus, he's an old Giant, so he knows the culture, and is well-liked by the front office (he was a leading candidate for the HC spot before Coughlin).

At the risk of spamming, I'd say someone needs to call Romeo Crennel before another staff picks him up. We could pop Romeo in the DC chair, and he'll be there as long as Coughlin is the HC.....since he's done the Head Coach thing, we don't need to worry about another team nabbing him. And with 3 Super Bowl rings as DC under Belichick, I can't thing of a better qualified guy. Plus, he's an old Giant, so he knows the culture, and is well-liked by the front office (he was a leading candidate for the HC spot before Coughlin).

Think Dick Jauron. Good Defensive coach, who has coached under Coughlin in Jacksonville.

It's OK, Joe, say it: our linebackers suck. Without Boley, I'd say late-season 2005 suck. When they put Kiwi in at MLB and he gets into more plays than Blackburn or Clark, that's bad. Blackburn is Nick Greisen II, the Uninjured. Clark is Clark, ok and that's it. And from what little I've seen from Sintim, isn't he really our way of finally filling the chasm left by Reggie Torbor's departure?

I have to admit I'm impressed with Boley, but he can't cover the whole field every play.

Webster is getting too many personal fouls. At least one helmet to helmet last night, and wasn't it him that got the face-mask call? He's too good a player for that cheap shit.

The LBS suck, but good ends have masked this problem for a while. Man, what I wouldn't give for a Patrick Willis or a Shawne Merriman. We haven't had a playmaking LB since Jesse Armstead left years ago.

Webster's "helmet to helmet" personal foul was as bullshit a call as I've ever seen. I'm not even sure their helmets collided; God forbid you actually let the guys play football. Ironically, three plays later on offense one of Denver's linemen absolutely smacked a Giants player in the head with his helmet and... of course... no call.

I dunno man... Romeo is pretty fat... and every time he opens the fridge, there's "generally... hoopla involved." Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Two major beat writers for the Giants were on the WFAN this morning saying that its basically the scheme that Sheridan is employing ...too many keys.... too much read and react. Also Osi is only good for 1-3 plays per game other than Philly; Tuck is playing one armed thanks to Flozell Adams; Kenny Phillips was a big piece of the defense; and our interior D-Line is old, injured and that we wasted money on Bernard and Canty. The loss of Alford during the preseason was huge as well. One of them was Pallitano...I can't remember the name of the other one. I found myself nodding like a dashboard puppy at everything they were saying.

As far as the offense their feelings are that Jacobs is not the north/south runner we thought he was; and that it appears he prefers the east/west running style as he thinks he is most effective that way. Also most telling is that they believe as I and others on here have written is that defenses are keying on Eli...meaning that they are just shuffling around their defenses...waiting for Eli to react and change the play....and then going with the original defensive call all along. They are doing this to disrupt the rhythm and get those 1 second to snap before the penalty snaps as they can then anticipate the snap.

Also Banks was decrying the overuse of the shotgun and the under using if not using at all of the play action. Real good listening it was.

Two major beat writers for the Giants were on the WFAN this morning saying that its basically the scheme that Sheridan is employing ...too many keys.... too much read and react. Also Osi is only good for 1-3 plays per game other than Philly; Tuck is playing one armed thanks to Flozell Adams; Kenny Phillips was a big piece of the defense; and our interior D-Line is old, injured and that we wasted money on Bernard and Canty. The loss of Alford during the preseason was huge as well. One of them was Pallitano...I can't remember the name of the other one. I found myself nodding like a dashboard puppy at everything they were saying.

As far as the offense their feelings are that Jacobs is not the north/south runner we thought he was; and that it appears he prefers the east/west running style as he thinks he is most effective that way. Also most telling is that they believe as I and others on here have written is that defenses are keying on Eli...meaning that they are just shuffling around their defenses...waiting for Eli to react and change the play....and then going with the original defensive call all along. They are doing this to disrupt the rhythm and get those 1 second to snap before the penalty snaps as they can then anticipate the snap.

Also Banks was decrying the overuse of the shotgun and the under using if not using at all of the play action. Real good listening it was.

Jacobs as no vision for east to west running....I mentioned it last night but there was a play in particular that stood out to me. Jacobs ran to the left and Diehl was lead blocking....Diehl sealed the inside off on his assignment and Jacobs continued running to the outside instead of making the cut and heading up field. And the announcers claim "Diehl was clearly beat"....NO, Diehl just blocked thinking that Jacobs would actually cut up field instead of just running to the sideline.

Think Dick Jauron. Good Defensive coach, who has coached under Coughlin in Jacksonville.

I would take either coach Romeo or Dick at this point. I was kind of puzzled at how you promote the guy with the least capable unit (e.g. LB's ) to the DC position as they did with Sheridan. He was not a Spagnoulo acolyte and it was pretty apparent early on that he wanted to cut his own swath through things. That means it was a poor interview by the HC and General Manager. The Return of Tim Lewis we could have lived without. :rolleyes:

Jacobs as no vision for east to west running....I mentioned it last night but there was a play in particular that stood out to me. Jacobs ran to the left and Diehl was lead blocking....Diehl sealed the inside off on his assignment and Jacobs continued running to the outside instead of making the cut and heading up field. And the announcers claim "Diehl was clearly beat"....NO, Diehl just blocked thinking that Jacobs would actually cut up field instead of just running to the sideline.

Yeah I remember your post and the play....it reminded me of the kid running away from the gang of bullies with his eyes closed. :jerkoff:

Cofield can't be fully healthy, becuase there's no way he could be struggling like this if he was healthy. He was well on his way to being our best interior lineman. And I agree that Alford missing is huge. Canty and Berrnard have sucked.

If they are struggling in the interior, then move Tuck inside and have Kiwi play the end position. I've never seen a guy on this team with so much talent and speed as Kiwi completely wasted in this defense. Tuck had a lot of success inside 2 years ago and needs to move around. Hell I'd even give Tollefson more playing time because that fucker plays hard and makes things happen in limited time. Hell even Sintim.

What does Bryan Keul have to do to get actual playing time. I mean he doesn't even rotate. If you're telling me that Chase and Clark are so good that they are keeping these guys on the sidelines, then we really do have coaching problems.

By the way CC Brown played much better last night playing closer to the line, much better. At least he wants to hit someone.

Dick Jauron would be a good replacement. He knows what he's doing....which would be a refreshing change.

A good example of what I'm talking about is Dick LeBeau.....he lost his job as Detroit head coach (who hasn't?), and was hired in Pittsburgh, where he's been brilliant.

Philly's defense was consistently good because Jim Johnson was a fixture, and he wasn't going anywhere.

Some guys are good head coaches, but not many.....the defensive coordinator of the NY Giants shouldn't be on the job training anymore.

Look at what the "hire a young bright assistant" has gotten us:

John Fox (too young and bright to stay)

Johnnie Lynn (sucked)

Tim Lewis (sucked)

Spags (too young and bright to stay)

Sheridan (makes me wish for Tim Lewis again).

Enough.....bring in an old timer who isn't interested in another job....I'll take someone who knows what the fuck they are doing.

i thought eli had time on a lot of plays, just no one open downfield. as i said before, our WR's can't create separation against good corners. i don't think it was the fault of the OLine.

They are totally different style coaches... Cowhers Steelers teams were a run first power offense and an attacking defense. Coughlin and his ASSistant coaches are playing finesse football with a 270lb running back and read and react defense with a mildly talented young secondary.

Yes but all Coughlin has done in 5 years is win a Superbowl, win the NFC East twice and make the playoffs every year. Cowher took 15 some odd years to win and had many up and down seasons. Coughlin may not be perfect but he clearly knows what he's doing and getting Cowher isn't going to suddenly make a big difference. To be honest the idea is JackStroud like.

Cofield can't be fully healthy, becuase there's no way he could be struggling like this if he was healthy. He was well on his way to being our best interior lineman. And I agree that Alford missing is huge. Canty and Berrnard have sucked.

If they are struggling in the interior, then move Tuck inside and have Kiwi play the end position. I've never seen a guy on this team with so much talent and speed as Kiwi completely wasted in this defense. Tuck had a lot of success inside 2 years ago and needs to move around. Hell I'd even give Tollefson more playing time because that fucker plays hard and makes things happen in limited time. Hell even Sintim.

What does Bryan Keul have to do to get actual playing time. I mean he doesn't even rotate. If you're telling me that Chase and Clark are so good that they are keeping these guys on the sidelines, then we really do have coaching problems.

By the way CC Brown played much better last night playing closer to the line, much better. At least he wants to hit someone.

:clap:

How us fans can out think Sheridan is comical at clearly shows his ineptitude. Hell I said weeks ago to bring Brown down because he is known for being bad in coverage and with the D having issues stopping the run what is there to lose. Sheridan is reminding me a lot of Lewis who had a scheme but never accounted for players strengths and weaknesses. Hell Webster is starting to have issues again where with Spagnuolo he was great. It's clear that Sheridan is also having communication issues because it seems like the whole D is lost (just like Lewis). Also somebody mentioned running in the middle which was not the issue. The issue, and has been for a while, is outside running where there is no containment and Clark can't shed a block to save his life.

Yes but all Coughlin has done in 5 years is win a Superbowl, win the NFC East twice and make the playoffs every year. Cowher took 15 some odd years to win and had many up and down seasons. Coughlin may not be perfect but he clearly knows what he's doing and getting Cowher isn't going to suddenly make a big difference. To be honest the idea is JackStroud like.

How us fans can out think Sheridan is comical at clearly shows his ineptitude. Hell I said weeks ago to bring Brown down because he is known for being bad in coverage and with the D having issues stopping the run what is there to lose. Sheridan is reminding me a lot of Lewis who had a scheme but never accounted for players strengths and weaknesses. Hell Webster is starting to have issues again where with Spagnuolo he was great. It's clear that Sheridan is also having communication issues because it seems like the whole D is lost (just like Lewis). Also somebody mentioned running in the middle which was not the issue. The issue, and has been for a while, is outside running where there is no containment and Clark can't shed a block to save his life.

Running up the middle was a big issue last night, just as it was in the Falcons game.

Running up the middle was a big issue last night, just as it was in the Falcons game.

Oh Reary?

2-7-NYG 7 (3:10) (Shotgun) 27-K.Moreno up the middle to NYG 8 for -1 yards (26-A.Rouse).

1-10-NYG 34 (14:20) 27-K.Moreno up the middle to NYG 29 for 5 yards (57-C.Blackburn).

2-5-NYG 29 (13:48) 28-C.Buckhalter up the middle to NYG 29 for no gain (57-C.Blackburn).

1-10-NYG 10 (8:37) 27-K.Moreno up the middle to NYG 9 for 1 yard (57-C.Blackburn, 55-D.Clark).

1-20-DEN 17 (:49) 28-C.Buckhalter up the middle to DEN 20 for 3 yards (91-J.Tuck, 55-D.Clark).

1-10-NYG 36 (13:42) 28-C.Buckhalter up the middle to NYG 32 for 4 yards (91-J.Tuck).

1-9-NYG 9 (5:52) 28-C.Buckhalter up the middle to NYG 10 for -1 yards (94-M.Kiwanuka).

3-5-NYG 5 (5:10) (Shotgun) 28-C.Buckhalter up the middle to NYG 6 for -1 yards (94-M.Kiwanuka).

2-11-NYG 49 (2:00) 28-C.Buckhalter up the middle to NYG 43 for 6 yards (57-C.Blackburn).

So that's 9 runs for 16 Yards for a grand total of 1.7 yards a carry. So where did they run? Left was where the majority of the runs went.

Oh Reary?

2-7-NYG 7 (3:10) (Shotgun) 27-K.Moreno up the middle to NYG 8 for -1 yards (26-A.Rouse).

1-10-NYG 34 (14:20) 27-K.Moreno up the middle to NYG 29 for 5 yards (57-C.Blackburn).

2-5-NYG 29 (13:48) 28-C.Buckhalter up the middle to NYG 29 for no gain (57-C.Blackburn).

1-10-NYG 10 (8:37) 27-K.Moreno up the middle to NYG 9 for 1 yard (57-C.Blackburn, 55-D.Clark).

1-20-DEN 17 (:49) 28-C.Buckhalter up the middle to DEN 20 for 3 yards (91-J.Tuck, 55-D.Clark).

1-10-NYG 36 (13:42) 28-C.Buckhalter up the middle to NYG 32 for 4 yards (91-J.Tuck).

1-9-NYG 9 (5:52) 28-C.Buckhalter up the middle to NYG 10 for -1 yards (94-M.Kiwanuka).

3-5-NYG 5 (5:10) (Shotgun) 28-C.Buckhalter up the middle to NYG 6 for -1 yards (94-M.Kiwanuka).

2-11-NYG 49 (2:00) 28-C.Buckhalter up the middle to NYG 43 for 6 yards (57-C.Blackburn).

So that's 9 runs for 16 Yards for a grand total of 1.7 yards a carry. So where did they run? Left was where the majority of the runs went.

Sure seemed a lot worse than that on TV. But regardless, Denver moved the ball at will, and found a ton of big plays over the middle.

The Giants seemed more concerned with being in the right spot rather than gang tackling and knocking people's heads off.

Even though Lynn sucked he was not out right hated by his players like Lewis was. Lynn was a nice guy in over his head as compared to Lewis who could not relate to Jesus Christ or MLK Jr. or Gandhi even on a good day.... :jerkoff:

Sure seemed a lot worse than that on TV. But regardless, Denver moved the ball at will, and found a ton of big plays over the middle.

The Giants seemed more concerned with being in the right spot rather than gang tackling and knocking people's heads off.

See, Garafolo said the same thing, but if the goal is to read and react, I have yet to see one player do it correctly, lol...