SportsWrath

New Helmet Designs

Outlaw

Since the start of the new season, I have noticed that several Giants (Jacobs, Tuck I think and so on) have a new Helmet deisgn that I have yet to see on any other teams. Its not a huge difference, but on both sides of the helmet right above the ear slots are the bulges that the facemask seems to conect into. Anyone else notice them?? Jacobs Photo

Anyone know what its for?

Yeah no kidding, who wants to be a vegetable at 50.

GQ had an article not long ago about it, very scary stuff. Lots of retired players having terrible brain problems and dieing young, especially lineman. It's not an issue of padding, but gforce. The Docs recommendation was to go back to soft helmets so players are less apt to crush each others heads.

GQ had an article not long ago about it, very scary stuff. Lots of retired players having terrible brain problems and dieing young, especially lineman. It's not an issue of padding, but gforce. The Docs recommendation was to go back to soft helmets so players are less apt to crush each others heads.

I think it's actually a good idea too remove a lot of the protection so it's more like rugby. It would definitely promote proper tackling and people to stop being so reckless. It'll never happen though as the NFL really wants to promote the gladiator idea and the equipment and uniforms are integral to that. It's actually also an interesting hypocrisy that the NFL glorifies big hits while fining players for them.

Right on, it doesn't matter how much padding you have on your head, if you are going 100 mph and come to complete stop head first, you could have a one of those spacefoam mattresses, but the brain is still going to hit the wall of the skull, and THAT is what is dangerous.

Softer helmets would definitely stop from guys from leading with their head. Proper tackling form and technique would also help, but who cares about that in the NFL.

Suddenly your posts in P&R are starting to make sense. :confused:

Yea, G. I surely didn't expect someone to take a cheap shot.. :doh: (even though I expect rph to say something smart not you). Only one out of the three concussions was suffered playing football.. i don't remember the hit because i was tackled from my 4 o'clock.. on and the guy easily weighed 290 lbs.

Nevertheless, concussions are no fun.