SportsWrath

Giants Claim RB Gartrell Johnson

BleedinBlue

Giants claimed RB Gartrell Johnson (San Diego's fourth round pick this past April) and cut Allen Patrick from the practice squad.

Other changes:

The Giants cut backup offensive lineman Tutan Reyes and defensive tackle Leger Douzable to make room for Gartrell Johnson and Michael Boley.

In addition, they cut three players from their practice squad: cornerback DeAndre Wright (their sixth-round pick), tight end Kareem Brown and the aforementioned Allen Patrick, whom many believed was headed to the active roster to fill the void created by Ware's injury.

Tight end Bear Pascoe (Fresno State) and defensive back Michael Coe (Alabama State) were signed to the practice squad.

Gartrell Johnson impressed in preseason (ran for 176 yards on 43 carries) averaging 4.1 yards per carry, but there was no room on the San Diego roster with LaDainian Tomlinson, Darren Sproles and Michael Bennett all ahead of the 5-foot-11, 218-pound Johnson

Allen Patrick is no loss. But I don't know whats up with cutting Reyes, OL depth has got to be a concern, we've been damn lucky with the lack of injuries on the OL the last few years. What does that leave us if O'Hara goes down...Koets?!?

I agree with Patrick as being no big loss. I was disappointed that they didn't sign Maurice Evans to the practice squad instead. He was a keeper in my opinion and the Giants could've gotten a draft pick or quality player in a different position out of him after a little grooming. That guy will come back to haunt the Giants someday....Patrick will not.

I agree with Patrick as being no big loss. I was disappointed that they didn't sign Maurice Evans to the practice squad instead. He was a keeper in my opinion and the Giants could've gotten a draft pick or quality player in a different position out of him after a little grooming. That guy will come back to haunt the Giants someday....Patrick will not.

Evans never cleared waivers (TB signed him to their roster) or I'm sure they would have signed him to the practice squad.

Blog Bits: Coughlin Expects New RB to Contribute on Sunday

Head coach Tom Coughlin said today that he is expecting new running back Gartrell Johnson to contribute to the offense on sunday, despite starting his first practice with the team today.

“He’ll have a role. We’ll segment some things and make a little package of things he’ll have to do. He’ll have to be ready to go.”

As for what that role might be, Coughlin hinted that it will be similar to what Danny Ware had in the offense, and he didn’t rule out eventually using Johnson in a third down role.

“Maybe as we go forward. He has some solid size and he can be up in the line of the scrimmage and do what Danny Ware was able to get for us.”

Johnson, who was drafted by the Chargers in the fourth round of this year’s draft, was a player Coughlin said the Giants liked, and noted that the fact that San Diego cut the rookie doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have what it takes to be successful in this league.

“We liked him at draft time and in preseason. They kept him for a reason. They obviously had the same situation that a lot of us had in having to make a personnel move. Sometimes it’s not pleasant; it’s never pleasant. They made a move; we had some options available but we were fortunate that the player came to us.”

Source: Inside Football

Two things - Didn't know Evans had been released by Tampa, either. Very surprised A) he was released, B) the Giants haven't scooped him up.

Also, how long before Jack says Gartrell is better than Jacobs?

Two things - Didn't know Evans had been released by Tampa, either. Very surprised A) he was released, B) the Giants haven't scooped him up.

Also, how long before Jack says Gartrell is better than Jacobs?

I think Evans could go on to be a great defensive end in the NFL. It made a little sense for the Giants to cut him only because they are so stacked at that position that Evans would get little chance to ever play. I wasn't the least bit surprised that some team grabbed him immediately, but it is very surprising he was released. Makes me wonder if there isn't some personal issues or drug use or something that has not been made public. He's just too good to simply fall off the earth as he has.....especially when good D.E.'s are so hard to come by.

Tell me about it, I thought he should have made the roster over Tollefson. :furious:

...Holy shit, Tampa cut him already? What is this guy doing off the field that he keeps getting cut loose? Lord knows he's got the raw athletic ability to be a good NFL defensive end, he must have a terrible attitude or something though.