SportsWrath

I'm issuing a public aplology to Sheridan

JackStroud

Guest StrahansGap

He did a terrific job motivating and coaching these guys during the game

MEA CULPA :ph34r:

He ain't gettin off the hook that easy. There is NO excuse for allowing a TD on a fake field goal. That shit better not happen again. :05-mafia:

He ain't gettin off the hook that easy. There is NO excuse for allowing a TD on a fake field goal. That shit better not happen again. :05-mafia:

That's the ST Coach's fault, not Sheridan's. Did you see who missed the opportunity to tackle the punter too? Fucking Moss. Ran right past him.

He did a terrific job motivating and coaching these guys during the game

MEA CULPA :ph34r:

I'm sure this will be a massive relief to him! Poor guy probably hasn't been able to sleep, with all the stress of having to prove himself to Jack. Well, that's one major hurdle cleared!

Don't take this the wrong way, Jack, but praising him after one regular season game is just as bad as condemning him during preseason. He really needs to get more games in before we can tell one way or another.

But there's no reason not to be hopeful. :)

the dog has to agree 100%, although the game plan and execution was very impressive. That being said, there will be better offenses on the horizon, so the jury still has to be out. the dog wasn't on the band wagon to execute him prior to the season, but the start was better than expected.

the dog has to agree 100%, although the game plan and execution was very impressive. That being said, there will be better offenses on the horizon, so the jury still has to be out. the dog wasn't on the band wagon to execute him prior to the season, but the start was better than expected.

There was a bandwagon to execute Sheridan?

That's the ST Coach's fault, not Sheridan's. Did you see who missed the opportunity to tackle the punter too? Fucking Moss. Ran right past him.

No one was within 15 yards of the punter, dude, he pranced into the endzone.

The entire team was completely fooled.

i said 'watch the fake' but no one heard. :huh:

4th and 1 inside the 20...no better time to try a fake...I was sort of expecting it as well...not hard to gain at least a yard on a fake that the punter keeps the ball

The team was fooled, but Moss would've gotten him had he reacted immediately. He dogged it. I watched it on NFL Network, and put the replay in slow motion. It took no fewer than six strides of Hunter Smith before Moss made his first stride in pursuit of Smith. By comparison, Smith only took 3 steps before Canty, Johnson, and Clark started pursuing. Had Moss reacted when they did, he would've had him, there's no doubt in my mind. But Moss decided NOT to pursue immediately. And why? I believe it's because Moss doesn't want to play special teams and was dogging it, or that Moss is afraid of contact, or a combination of both. One of the fastest guys in the NFL and most assuredly the fastest guy on the team should've had Smith had he not given up on the play before it was over.

I guarantee you the coaching staff is going to see that on film and not be happy.

Not in the open field, dude, at the point the ball should have been kicked. Moss comes off the edge and runs at the kicker, completely missing the fact the holder still has the ball. If he saw it he could have dropped him for -20 yards.

The team was fooled, but Moss would've gotten him had he reacted immediately. He dogged it. I watched it on NFL Network, and put the replay in slow motion. It took no fewer than six strides of Hunter Smith before Moss made his first stride in pursuit of Smith. By comparison, Smith only took 3 steps before Canty, Johnson, and Clark started pursuing. Had Moss reacted when they did, he would've had him, there's no doubt in my mind. But Moss decided NOT to pursue immediately. And why? I believe it's because Moss doesn't want to play special teams and was dogging it, or that Moss is afraid of contact, or a combination of both. One of the fastest guys in the NFL and most assuredly the fastest guy on the team should've had Smith had he not given up on the play before it was over.

I guarantee you the coaching staff is going to see that on film and not be happy.

When the play happened I swore I saw Moss turn around lackadaisically and then jog after Smith. On the replay I was FML it's Moss alright. If Moss had been going 110% he should have at least been able to catch Smith. He did get blocked by the punter but that was after he was just gawking. Is it too late to get Tyree back?

Yah, considering Moss comes hard off the edge trying to block the field goal, with only that goal on his mind, how do you expect him to realize the ball wasn't actually kicked? No one else on the team did. He literally looks over toward the goal posts and only then does he realize Smith has the ball. Far too late to make a play.

I bet the coach's watch that film and realize they need to prepare for the possibility of fake field goals, honestly.

That play was simply sold so well that not a single player knew Hunter Smith even had the ball until he was 5-yards passed the line of scrimmage...

Not in the open field, dude, at the point the ball should have been kicked. Moss comes off the edge and runs at the kicker, completely missing the fact the holder still has the ball. If he saw it he could have dropped him for -20 yards.

If ANYONE saw it they could have dropped him for -20 yards. He's trying to block a field goal, you can't possibly blame him for not being able to change gears on a dime when he was fooled just like everyone else was. He literally turns to look at the goal posts to see the ball go through. It's much more due to a lack of preparation against fake field goals. His one goal is to get in front of the kick, not watch to see what the holder is doing. That's all preparation and special teams play call, letting them know to either stay at home or go for the block, which they went for the block.

If ANYONE saw it they could have dropped him for -20 yards. He's trying to block a field goal, you can't possibly blame him for not being able to change gears on a dime when he was fooled just like everyone else was. He literally turns to look at the goal posts to see the ball go through. It's much more due to a lack of preparation against fake field goals. His one goal is to get in front of the kick, not watch to see what the holder is doing. That's all preparation and special teams play call, letting them know to either stay at home or go for the block, which they went for the block.

If he was watching the ball he'd have seen the punter pick it up.

If he was watching the ball he'd have seen the punter pick it up.

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that players that are good at blocking field goals are solely looking to aim for a spot right in front of the holder...not whether or not he puts the ball down...

Moss may or not be the player we all want him to be, but I think it's kind of ridiculous to lay the blame on him for this one...there wasn't much any single player could have done on that play...

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that players that are good at blocking field goals are solely looking to aim for a spot right in front of the holder...not whether or not he puts the ball down...

Moss may or not be the player we all want him to be, but I think it's kind of ridiculous to lay the blame on him for this one...there wasn't much any single player could have done on that play...

Well if you think you may possibly have read something sometime somewhere then I clearly have no reason to argue with you.

I'm not laying the blame purely on Moss, he was just the first one to blow it.

Well if you think you may possibly have read something sometime somewhere then I clearly have no reason to argue with you.

I'm not laying the blame purely on Moss, he was just the first one to blow it.

Yah because what I just said isn't at all intuitively obvious.

You're blaming it on Moss, the person running full speed in the opposite direction of where the punter ran the ball. Seriously. Moss's one job on that play was to penetrate and try to block the field goal. Had a different, Field Goal Zone play been called, Moss would have been the one to stay at home on the edge to prevent such a thing. He can't do both and did the one based on the play call.

The special teams coordinator simply wasn't expecting it, and thus, neither were his players.

Here's the difference Storm... it took Hunter Smith to take only 3 strides before Michael Johnson, Danny Clark, and Chris Canty starting pursuing. It took TWICE as long for Moss to start pursuing. How is he supposed to know the ball wasn't kicked? Well, when you are about 2 and a half feet away from a ball that's about to be kicked, even if you don't see it, you should still hear the foot kicking the ball. Hell, I even hear it on TV. When you don't hear that, you better get your head on a swivel.

No excuse for Moss. I put the thing in slo mo replay and he dogged it. He absolutely dogged it. As I said, it took him twice as long to react as the other guys. And Sinorice Moss, the fastest guy on the team, could very well have caught a 32 year old PUNTER! The only reason the kicker was able to even engage Moss was because he was just standing there lackadaisically instead of pursuing the play.

You really need to come up with yet even more excuses for Moss.