SportsWrath

Kudos and Wet Willies

Lughead

'Kudos & Wet Willies:' Wide receiver edition

bigblueview_tiny.jpg by Ed Valentine on Aug 30, 2009 8:03 AM EDT in Kudos & Wet Willies comment.v1599.png 16 comments

50306_jets_giants_football.jpg More photos » by Tim Larsen - AP

New York Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks runs past New York Jetscornerback James Ihedigbo for a 71-yard touchdown during the secondhalf Saturday night.

Browse more photos »

If you watched last night's 27-25 loss by our New York Giants to the New York Jets you should be able to guess that today's 'Kudos & Wet Willies' will be dominated by two things.

1. Discussion of wide receivers, both good and bad.
  2. How easily you can be misled by simply looking at the box score.

So, with that little preamble out of the way let's get to the goodstuff. And, since we like good news before bad we will hand out 'Kudos'first.

star-divide.v5547.jpg

Kudos to ...

• Hakeem Nicks: Unquestionablythe star of the game for the Giants. Just about the time you thought aGiants' wide receiver was NEVER going to make a play, the No. 1 draftpick showed up. He hauled in fourth-quarter touchdown passes of 22yards (an amazing diving, left-handed grab in the back of the end zonewhile well covered), and 71 yards from David Carr.He made four other catches and finished his night with six grabs for144 yards. Nicks' numbers don't lie -- he had a terrific game.
  • David Carr: Carr has not had a great pre-season, but helooked solid Saturday night. Twelve-for-21 for 181 yards and two TDs,including an impressive late scoring drive. He also ran for a pair offirst downs. Carr, most impressively to me, fought his instincts tobail out of the pocket, stayed in there and made some plays. After thatperformance I feel better about him.
  • Eli Manning:Look at his numbers (9-for-21, 91 yards, one touchdown, oneinterception, a 51.9 rating) and you would think I was nuts putting himhere. If you watched the game you know better. His day looks a lotdifferent if Steve Smith doesn't drop a 90-yard touchdown pass, and Domenik Hixonhangs on to an easy catch that turned into a game-changinginterception. Even Eli's misses were thrown properly, out of the reachof defenders. He threw the ball well. His receivers, though, didn'tcatch it well.
  • Lawrence Tynes:Made a 38-yard field goal and missed just short from 51. Can't kill himfor a miss from tha distance. Tynes gets 'kudos,' primarily for hiskickoffs, though. I don't remember any that weren't inside the 5-yardline, and he did get at least one kickoff into the end zone. Hopefully,he can continue that.
  • Danny Ware:This kid is a player. He had nine carries for 43 yards, a lot of thatgained on his own, The most impressive thing he did all night was agreat fourth-quarter blitz pickup to save Carr from annihilation. Don'tknow who Ware picked up, but he stopped the guy in his tracks.
  • Ahmad Bradshaw: The guy just looks dangerous. He had eight carries for 47 yards, including a 27-yarder.
  • Mathias Kiwanuka: His sack of Mark Sanchezwas a thing of beauty, chasing him down from behind and swallowing himup like a certain No. 56 used to do. Kiwi will have a huge seasonspelling Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck.
  • Jonathan Goff: Five solo tackles for the second-year middle linebacker. That is two impressive games in a row for him.
  • Kevin Dockery: Played well starting at right corner for the injured Aaron Ross. Three tackles for Dockery and two passes defensed.
  • Derek Hagan:Two catches, both on wide receiver screens. Hagan showed the ability toget some yards after catch on both plays, ending up with 25 yards. Healso worked hard to get out of bounds on one catch as the Giants weretrying to rally for a late score. Finally, Hagan flashed a little ofwhat he has been showing during practice in a real game.
  • Fred Robbins:Four tackles for the big defensive tackle, who looks like he isrounding into form nicely after micro-fracture knee surgery in the offseason.
  • The first-team offensive line: Good work by that group, keeping Manning protected and opening some running lanes. Nice to see Rich Seubert and Chris Snee back on the field.

OK, now that we have gone through the good we have to get to thebad. If you watched the game, you know there was plenty of ugly stuff.Let's get to it.

Wet Willies to ...

• Steve Smith: Steve, I luv ya baby, but you cannot dropperfectly thrown potential 90-yard touchdown passes when you are twosteps beyond the defense. Especially not when you have been clamoringfor chances to get out of the slot, and be given the opportunity to runsome deep routes. Smith has shown great hands for two seasons now, butI saw him drop a couple of deep balls during camp at UAlbany. Steve, ifyou want the opportunity to run those routes when it counts you have tomake those plays.
  • Domenik Hixon: A bad drop on a quick in that turned into aninterception deep in Giants' territory and led to a Jets' touchdown.The miscues by the two starting receivers turned what should have beena 14-0 Giants' lead into a 7-7 tie.
  • Mario Manningham:I have said it before, but he has a split personality. Manningham didhave four catches for 41 yards, ran some nice routes and made some niceplays. But he dropped a beautiful pass from Carr that hit him right inthe numbers and should have been a 30-40-yard gain, and nearlymisjudged a punt he had to make an awkward catch. Mario seems to be a'kwillie,' player -- a thrill-a-minute guy who can keep both teams inthe game at the same time.
  • C.C. Brown:Can we please, please, PRETTY PLEASE Uncle Coughlin, find a way to getthis guy off the team? For the love of good defense. And my bloodpressure! This guy is AWFUL! Sure, he had five tackles. If he had madeall the tackles he should have, however, he would have had eight ornine. On top of which, he is clueless in pass coverage. Brown waswaaayyy out of position on Mark Sanchez' 31-yard touchdown pass to Chansi Stuckey, leaving him wide open. Then, of course, missing the tackle when he finally did get there. Paging Sha'reef Rashad. Or Vince Anderson. Or anyone else, for that matter.
  • DeAndre Wright: The rookie sixth-round pick got himself all turned around, then fell on the field in a heap on Erik Ainge 70-yard touchdown pass to Aundrae Allisonlate in the fourth quarter. Probably appropriate, though, since I thinkWright's chance to make the team crashed to the ground as soon as hedid.
  • Sinorice Moss:I don't remember him doing anything well. I do remember him failing tocatch a punt at the 20-yard line that ended up rolling dead at the 1.

-- Jets vs Giants recap

That's messed up...

But true. And I'm glad that the media is finally putting it in print that there is no reason for us to have Moss on this team. Anyhow, Wright looked terrible on the play. It's a position where there is a lot of competition, too... he was a bubble player to begin with. With Woodson, Johnson, and Anderson all getting good press recently, I think Wright probably sealed his fate in that game unless he turns in the game of his life in the final preseason game.

Kevin Dockery: Played well starting at right corner for the injured Aaron Ross. Three tackles for Dockery and two passes defensed.

He was also the second in line to wiff on his tackle right behind Brown on that TD. At least Brown tried and failed; Dockery didn't even try. That was disgusting to watch. I'm glad Thomas will be our Nickel Corner this season.

He was also the second in line to wiff on his tackle right behind Brown on that TD. At least Brown tried and failed; Dockery didn't even try. That was disgusting to watch. I'm glad Thomas will be our Nickel Corner this season.

Although TT, is better overall, it baffles me how someone cannot be happy with Dockery. The guy fills in very well, and the whiff you're speaking of are few and far in between.

If he was four inches taller there would be a line around the stadium to give him handjob.

Unfortunately he is still the short guy making good plays for the last couple of years.

Although TT, is better overall, it baffles me how someone cannot be happy with Dockery. The guy fills in very well, and the whiff you're speaking of are few and far in between.

He's hot n' cold, sometimes solid, sometimes toasted. I've seen Plaxico put more effort into a tackle than Dockery did on that TD.