SportsWrath

Injuries from the Bears game

Lughead

Alford sprains MCL

DT Jay Alford,who had been having a very strong camp, left the game in the thirdquarter with a knee injury. He'll undergo further tests, but theinitial diagnosis was a sprained MCL. Alford, who was carted off thefield after his injury, returned to the sideline later with his legwrapped and was laughing and joking with teammates

LB Danny Clark left with a head injury after taking a cleat to the chin that required five stitches to close. He returned later . . . DE Mathias Kiwanuka left with an ankle injury but later returned

. . . Missing with injuries were S Kenny Phillips (knee), CB Aaron Ross (hamstring), LB Antonio Pierce (foot), G Rich Seubert (shoulder), G Chris Snee (knee), DT Rocky Bernard (hamstring), DT Chris Canty (hamstring), LB Michael Boley (hip/PUP) and RB Andre Brown (Achilles).

WOW, I didnt realize so many were out. No wonder we got beat by an average Bears team.

No wow. every team keeps their "injured" players out for the pre-season. Most of those injuries won't make it to the surface during the regular season.

You totally missed the shot I took at the Bears. :rolleyes:

I'm telling you Blue, that team is not nearly as bad as you think. With Cutler and Forte coming into his own, they actually became a threat in he NFC.

I'm telling you Blue, that team is not nearly as bad as you think. With Cutler and Forte coming into his own, they actually became a threat in he NFC.

Agreed. With Cutler and a very good defense, the Bears will win that division (admittedly weak), so they not only make the playoffs, they will have a home playoff game.

Agreed. With Cutler and a very good defense, the Bears will win that division (admittedly weak), so they not only make the playoffs, they will have a home playoff game.

Cutler is really good at reading a play and being ready to bail and scramble for yardage rather than getting sacked. He realizes a 4 or 5 yard gain is better than taking a sack or throwing the ball away even. And for that, he keeps so many drives going just by being able to scramble on a 3rd and 5 and picking up the first down. And if last night is any indication, it works really well against an overly aggressive, slow at the linebacker position, upfield blitzing team like ours.

With a better defense, a better running game, and just as good a QB if not better, the Vikings are the class of that division. I was impressed with Cutler's arm, maybe the strongest in the NFL, but he hasn't proven he's a winner (yet). He has shown he's a crybaby, though. With all the negative reaction to Favre flip-flopping, the fact remains he's a winner. And with that team, he doesn't even need to throw it much to win. Also, that division has one weak team, (the Lions). The Packers will be tough this year. But now way in hell are the Bears the class of the division... the Vikings have a better team from top to bottom.

With a better defense, a better running game, and just as good a QB if not better, the Vikings are the class of that division. I was impressed with Cutler's arm, maybe the strongest in the NFL, but he hasn't proven he's a winner (yet). He has shown he's a crybaby, though. With all the negative reaction to Favre flip-flopping, the fact remains he's a winner. And with that team, he doesn't even need to throw it much to win. Also, that division has one weak team, (the Lions). The Packers will be tough this year. But now way in hell are the Bears the class of the division... the Vikings have a better team from top to bottom.

Better D & running game are arguments you can make.....but Farve better than Cutler? What year do you think this is? Farve was done 2 years ago, when Webster ended his Packer tenure. Here in NY, with the Jets last year, we had a ringside seat to watch him wear down to the point of being useless by the end of the season. The Vikes bought a phony bill of goods and it will sink them.

Ross was out along with Web, I'm pretty sure Snee was as well.

vs. CAR?? I coulda swore Snee was in. I wasnt sure about Ross. But still, Canty, Bernard and Boley were not in, and we know they will make a huge difference come reg season.

Better D & running game are arguments you can make.....but Farve better than Cutler? What year do you think this is? Farve was done 2 years ago, when Webster ended his Packer tenure. Here in NY, with the Jets last year, we had a ringside seat to watch him wear down to the point of being useless by the end of the season. The Vikes bought a phony bill of goods and it will sink them.

Agreed. Although other than a run game. I dont think MIN has too much else. I can actually see the Pack winning this div, with an outside possibility of the Bears.

August 23, 2009

Canty still out with "torn" hamstring

Tom Coughlin revealed today that the hamstring injury that has sidelined defensive tackle Chris Canty the last few weeks is actually a torn hamstring “that’s not progressing the way we want it to.”

Coughlin called it a “serious” injury that will keep him out of practice this week, and presumably out of Saturday night’s game against the Jets.

Canty, of course, has yet to play in a preseason game and only got in a few training camp practices before suffering his injury. He had expressed optimism that his return to the field would be quick, though the fact that no information on it was coming out of the Giants organization was seemingly a sign that the injury was worse than it appeared.

Canty signed a six-year, $42 million contract with the Giants at the start of free agency and was supposed to be a big part of the Giants’ defensive line rotation and their revamped defense. His absence — along with those of DT Fred Robbins (knee) and DT Rocky Bernard (hamstring) for much of camp — has hampered plans for the Giants to develop that unit.

Those injuries are also why Coughlin, in a conference call this afternoon, spoke out against the media coverage of his team’s supposed depth.

“For so long we’ve been (reading) ‘We’ve got so much depth,’” Coughlin said. “I don’t know what you’re watching, but the guys that are supposed to be the depth have hardly even practiced. Some have practiced, but some haven’t played. I think you’re talking about something that looks good but hasn’t really materialized. This depth that we’re talking about really is a non-factor right now.”

Many Giants are still on the sidelines, which is a growing concern heading into the third preseason game and with the regular season opener just three days away. CB Aaron Ross (hamstring) and S Kenny Phillips (knee) are expected back this week on a limited basis. Coughlin said he expects that Bernard, who just returned to practice last week, will practice this week and maybe play Saturday night. And Guards Chris Snee (knee) and Rich Seubert (shoulder) are expected to practice and possibly play.

LB Antonio Pierce’s foot, meanwhile, is a bit of a mystery. “I don’t even know if I can say day by day,” Coughlin said. “But I know that’s what the feeling was.”

Meanwhile, there was no update on DT Jay Alford, who was carted off the field during the Giants’ 17-3 loss to Chicago last night. He was diagnosed with a sprained knee, but has been sent to New York for further tests, including an MRI. Coughlin said he had not gotten those results yet.

Meanwhile, WR Mario Manningham is now “day to day” with a hip pointer, and backup G Orrin Thompson has a quad contusion.

Source: NY Daily News

Agreed. Although other than a run game. I dont think MIN has too much else. I can actually see the Pack winning this div, with an outside possibility of the Bears.

Really, they feature a D-line that has 3 Pro Bowlers on it (the Williams brothers plus All Pro Jared Allen. The Bears were 21st in total defense last year in the NFL. The Vikings were 6th. They have two stud linebackers in EJ Henderson and Chad Greenway, and a Pro Bowl corner, one of the best in league, in Antoine Winfield. The Vikings defense I'd say is well ahead of the Bears.

And I wouldn't sell Farve short based on the second half of last season when he was playing hurt. The Vikings went 10-6 and won the division last year with TARVARIS JACKSON as their QB, and had a good draft by getting one of the most dangerous offensive weapons in the draft in Percy Harvin, and a terrific tackle who in Phil Loadholt.

The Bears will probably compete for the division, but I don't see how they've passed Minnesota, and Green Bay surely hasn't. I predict a 12-4 season for the Vikings, with the Bears getting a wild card at 10-6. Packers miss the playoffs at 8-8.

vs. CAR?? I coulda swore Snee was in. I wasnt sure about Ross. But still, Canty, Bernard and Boley were not in, and we know they will make a huge difference come reg season.

snee and seuburt have missed both preseason games

Are you watching the same 40 year old Brett Favre everyone else is? Favre is obviously the better quarterback if this were 1995 (and career-wise), but Jay Cutler is, currently, a better quarterback.

You're right, he doesn't have to throw it much because he can just scramble and pick up first downs in every clutch situation he has to. Damn do I wish Eli could do that. It brings a whole new dimension to your game if you have a Steve Young-esque QB who not only has a decent throwing arm, but is very field smart and knows when he can scramble to get a first down. I'm not talking about a running quarterback, I'm talking about a QB that is very aware of situational plays and doesn't try to force something that's not there on 3rd and mid-range because he knows if something breaks down, he can scramble up the middle for 5-6 yards and slide for a first down. With Jay Cutler, the Bears will be able to extend 4-5 drives per game, just for the mere fact that Cutler will pick up first downs on third down.

I WOULD say the Vikings have a better defense top to bottom than the Bears do. Probably a better all around offense. But it's all about the QB and Favre just isn't the quarterback he once was.

EDIT: I apologize, I misread, I thought you meant Cutler didn't have to throw it much...but you're right Favre also won't have to throw it much, just hand to AP. Cutler can hand to Forte, who is quickly coming into his own, or scramble

Really, they feature a D-line that has 3 Pro Bowlers on it (the Williams brothers plus All Pro Jared Allen. The Bears were 21st in total defense last year in the NFL. The Vikings were 6th. They have two stud linebackers in EJ Henderson and Chad Greenway, and a Pro Bowl corner, one of the best in league, in Antoine Winfield. The Vikings defense I'd say is well ahead of the Bears.

And I wouldn't sell Farve short based on the second half of last season when he was playing hurt. The Vikings went 10-6 and won the division last year with TARVARIS JACKSON as their QB, and had a good draft by getting one of the most dangerous offensive weapons in the draft in Percy Harvin, and a terrific tackle who in Phil Loadholt.

The Bears will probably compete for the division, but I don't see how they've passed Minnesota, and Green Bay surely hasn't. I predict a 12-4 season for the Vikings, with the Bears getting a wild card at 10-6. Packers miss the playoffs at 8-8.

And we had Kiwanuka, Robbins and Cofield, all of whom are awesome Dlineman. How many of them made the probowl? The probowl is a popularity contest, I dont judge anything by that. The Vikes have an old ass favre and Tavaris Jackson. Harvin is untested and Berrian is average at best. AP could change ganes, but thats about all thyat scares me. Dont sleep on GB, they have an experienced Rogers who learned from a young, awesome Brett favre, and thgey still have Grant runnin it and Greg Jennings catching it. Even though Plax abused Al Harris, he's still a top corner in this league.

And we had Kiwanuka, Robbins and Cofield, all of whom are awesome Dlineman. How many of them made the probowl? The probowl is a popularity contest, I dont judge anything by that. The Vikes have an old ass favre and Tavaris Jackson. Harvin is untested and Berrian is average at best. AP could change ganes, but thats about all thyat scares me. Dont sleep on GB, they have an experienced Rogers who learned from a young, awesome Brett favre, and thgey still have Grant runnin it and Greg Jennings catching it. Even though Plax abused Al Harris, he's still a top corner in this league.

ONLY the best offensive player in the NFL scares you? LOL. But the Pack have Grant. :LMAO:

Bigblue, I agree with the fact that the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest, but seriously, popularity contests aside, the Williams' are two terrific DT's, better even than our guys at DT (although I would like to reserve judgement on Canty). And Jared Allen was 5th in the NFL in sacks last year with 14.5. Better than anyone else in the division. If you watched highlights of the Vikings games last year, you would see that Winfield was in them just about every week. None of the guys I mentioned were pro bowlers because of popularity, but actually because of performance. I posted the stats of their total defense last year (as well as the Bears). They have a better defense, PERIOD, it's not close when they are all healthy.

Antoine Winfield is a better corner than Al Harris by far. In fact, Al Harris is one of the guys that makes the Pro Bowl based on popularity rather than performance. He is actually not that great.

You are not giving enough credit to Berrian, who had almost a 1000 yards and 7 TD's in only 48 catches in a run heavy offense with Tavaris Jackson as his QB. He was 2nd in the NFL in yards per reception.

Percy Harvin is untested, but I guarantee you that he will be game planned for. Don't know if you watched much Florida Gators football last year (I hate the Gators being a Seminole fan) but he dominated college football last year... playing in the SEC. He had 1300 combined receiving/rushing yards and 17 TDs, and he did the vast majority of that in only 10 games.

He was probably the most dangerous player in the draft. He is as dangerous as Devin Hester, for comparison's sake.

But sure, a Pack team that only won 6 games last year (and 2 of them came against the Lions), that returns pretty much the same team is better than the Vikings who won 10 games with a crap QB.

Favre is old, but he definitely doesn't suck. I'm not hero-worshipping, I'm being real. And don't give me Ryan Grant when he breaks down over the course of the year and the Pack have no quality depth behind him. At least the Vikings have Chester Taylor. The Vikings are far better, dude, they are a formidable opponent.

Jim, weren't the Vikes winning with Frerotte and not Jackson?

And when you say someone is as dangerous as Devin Hester, and it's a WR, I have pictures of Hester unable to run under a football and catch it for christ's sake. That's not scary at all.

Are you watching the same 40 year old Brett Favre everyone else is? Favre is obviously the better quarterback if this were 1995 (and career-wise), but Jay Cutler is, currently, a better quarterback.

You're right, he doesn't have to throw it much because he can just scramble and pick up first downs in every clutch situation he has to. Damn do I wish Eli could do that. It brings a whole new dimension to your game if you have a Steve Young-esque QB who not only has a decent throwing arm, but is very field smart and knows when he can scramble to get a first down. I'm not talking about a running quarterback, I'm talking about a QB that is very aware of situational plays and doesn't try to force something that's not there on 3rd and mid-range because he knows if something breaks down, he can scramble up the middle for 5-6 yards and slide for a first down. With Jay Cutler, the Bears will be able to extend 4-5 drives per game, just for the mere fact that Cutler will pick up first downs on third down.

I WOULD say the Vikings have a better defense top to bottom than the Bears do. Probably a better all around offense. But it's all about the QB and Favre just isn't the quarterback he once was.

EDIT: I apologize, I misread, I thought you meant Cutler didn't have to throw it much...but you're right Favre also won't have to throw it much, just hand to AP. Cutler can hand to Forte, who is quickly coming into his own, or scramble

My contention is not that Brett Farve is a better QB than Cutler right now, it's that HE DOESN'T HAVE TO BE. And no, it's not all about the QB, storm. Defense has A LOT to do with it. You have a top 6 defense (#1 in the NFL against the run last year) against the 21st ranked defense. Anywho, Brett Farve is still a pretty damn good QB... If you don't think the injured shoulder had anything to do with his performance last year, then it's reasonable to conclude that he's washed up.

I think that it was pretty evident that the shoulder caused him to be ineffective. He just has to win one or two more games than Tarvaris did last year to win that division, because Tavaris won 10 games. I think Brett can do that with his eyes closed.

Now, I think Cutler is a very good QB, but he was only 8-8... and I believe he may have a leadership problem as well as diarrhea of the mouth. It won't matter much if he wins, but it could devolve into a circus in Chicago if he loses and plays poorly. He did, after all, throw 18 INT's last year, so he's not exactly a guy who plays mistake-free. Even if you say that Chicago's offense is on par or even slightly better than Minnesota's (which is at best debateable), their defense is far worse. Urlacher had a very un-Urlacher year last year. Alex Brown only had 5 sacks. The team only had 28 sacks, 22nd in the NFL. And their secondary SUCKS. With no picks in the 1st and 2nd round of the draft, they didn't really improve that defense.

I think that defense is in trouble. The Bears sold the farm for Cutler... so he better be Steve Young, as you mentioned. But last year, he was not Steve Young, not even close.

The smart money is on the Vikings in that division.