SportsWrath

From a Blog

Lughead

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Chalk Talk: Get Jacobs The Ball Early And Often

by Michael Schlossberg

With the Giants' 2008 season ending unceremoniously with a home playoff loss

to the rival Philadelphia Eagles, the Giants will need to find new ways

to move the football for 2009. After Plaxico Burress was suspended, the Giants' offense struggled.

My solution to this? Give the football to Brandon Jacobs early, and give it to him often.

With Jacobs,

it's not about the yards per carry (even though that number has

consistently been around 5.0 for his career), but rather about him

tiring out opposing defenses.

Everyone has seen Jacob's size

enable him to fall forward for three yards, and make a positive gain

out of a seemingly dead play.

When December came around (think Week 16 against Carolina) no one wanted to tackle Brandon Jacobs, which helped pave way for Derrick Ward to rush for 216 yards on only 15 carries.

With

Jacobs bull-dozing would-be tacklers, opposing teams will have to try

and stack eight defenders in the box. This will then open up the deep

ball for Eli Manning to the WR playing on the perimeter.

Ultimately, the Giants will be able to make morebig plays down the football field, and teams will respect Eli Manning a little more.

If the Giants are able to get consistent production out of Jacobs,

it would help their time of possession. This means that other teams

will have to try and throw the ball a lot to get quick scores.

When the Giants' defense can single in on a passing game, the pass rush will be relentless by sending Justin Tuck, Osi Umeyiora and Mathias Kiwianuka.

The point being, giving the ball to Brandon Jacobs early and often will bring about great success for New York in 2009.

Discuss?

Maybe its not original, but its also a key to the Giants '09 season.

A heavy dose of Jacobs sounds nice, but he's better in moderation...the way he fights for yards, the number of hits he takes, he's not going to survive an entire 300+ carry season. Give him 10-15 carries a game and try to scrape by until the playoffs.

And can the man learn to catch a swing pass? Really? Can this be the year? I think he's got a mental block about it...I remember training camp in his rookie year, he actually looked pretty smooth bringing passes in every clip I saw. But after he became the starter, he seems to have so much tension in his body if the ball is thrown to him. If Jacobs could only be a receiving threat, we could get him maybe 50 more touches a year with some very favorable match-ups.

not sure that would work

in the NFL you have to do the unexpected, not the expected

they would stop him by stacking and we would wear out our punters leg......lose a lot of games

our strength is our D not Brandon Jacobs

Our run game is definitely one of our strengths, and Brandon is the main part of the run game.

No doubt Brandon is important but we have proved you cannot telegraph his carries

He's good, but not that good.....not nearly......hes terrible at 3rd or 4th and short around midfield

he is better down by the goal line

I think the bus was the only guy you could do that with and frankly Pitts was too smart to try it

I like an unpredictable balanced offense

not sure that would work

in the NFL you have to do the unexpected, not the expected

they would stop him by stacking and we would wear out our punters leg......lose a lot of games

our strength is our D not Brandon Jacobs

Ah, but thats the beauty of the Giants offense the last couple years. Everyone in the stadium knows they're going to run it left behind Diehl and a pulling Snee...and the defense still can't stop it.

Ah, but thats the beauty of the Giants offense the last couple years. Everyone in the stadium knows they're going to run it left behind Diehl and a pulling Snee...and the defense still can't stop it.

and invariably he gets hurt mid season

I would like to see a good rotation like he had going with derrick ward

and invariably he gets hurt mid season

I would like to see a good rotation like he had going with derrick ward

I bet we see an equally good rotation, if not better, with BJ, Ahmad, Ware and Brown.

I bet we see an equally good rotation, if not better, with BJ, Ahmad, Ware and Brown.

I'd like to see Ware assume the #2 role in the 1st half and Ahmad stay the #2 in the second half

If Jacobs has his annual leg injury Ware #1 and Ahmad #2 for the whole game

I'm not sure about the rookie......may he be blessed