SportsWrath

Most Likely Impact Rookies

Lubeck

He picked one from each postion. Here are the Giants he selected.

Receiver

Ramses Barden, Giants

Every year the crop of rookie receivers looks like instant offense, and every year the majority of them fade into the woodwork and disappear (see 2008's Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, James Hardy, Limas Sweed, Dexter Jackson and Early Doucet). Impact can come from anywhere in the receiver class, as seventh-rounder Marques Colston reminded us in 2006.

But while I think Cleveland second-round pick Brian Robiskie is going to walk into a major role in the Browns' receiver-thin offense, on a hunch I'm giving my top billing to Barden, the 6-foot-6 Cal Poly product who is slated to inherit Plaxico Burress's job of out-skying opposing cornerbacks and safeties in the red zone. Barden caught 50 touchdowns in college, so it's a key role the third-round pick appears up for.

Tight end

Travis Beckum, Giants

The no-brainer picks would be Detroit's Brandon Pettigrew or Tennessee's Jared Cook because the Lions and Titans feature offenses tailored to use their tight ends early and often. But New York doesn't mind throwing rookies into the fire and it wouldn't surprise us if Beckum, a third-round choice, emerged as one of Eli Manning's more reliable targets this season. Hamstring and fibula injuries ruined Beckum's senior season at Wisconsin, but in the previous two seasons he abused defenses with 136 receptions for 1,885 yards and 11 touchdowns. With only solid but unspectacular veteran Kevin Boss ahead of Beckum on the depth chart, a window of opportunity appears to be wide open in New York.

Well that is nice of them to pick Ramses but I think he needs a lot of work. When you can breeze right past the competition the way he did, you pickup bad habits that will be exploited at this level.

He'll definitely help out our red zone offense with his size but other than that he will have a tough time out there till he adjusts.

Well that is nice of them to pick Ramses but I think he needs a lot of work. When you can breeze right past the competition the way he did, you pickup bad habits that will be exploited at this level.

He'll definitely help out our red zone offense with his size but other than that he will have a tough time out there till he adjusts.

I sense a trend with your posts......BUZZKILL :P

I was going to say pompous asshole, but buzzkill will do.

Seriously dude...if anyone is a pompous asshole take a look in the closest reflective surface. That ugly mug staring back at you is what should be in Websters. :ph34r:

There is nothing pompous about what he said. If anything he made a damned good point. Going up against that level of competition with the talent Ramses has of course bad habits will form. In fact one of the criticisms against him was he got lazy at times and showed disinterest.

I agree, he needs polish, I love him as a future number 1 or 2, but he's got a lot of learning to do.

As far as which GIANT rookie will have the biggest immediate impact, I'll go with Sintim, because imo, defense can rely on physical skill whereas offense needs more of a skill set.

For offensive players, Nicks is a close second overall, he can catch everything, catch in traffic, has a knack for getting the ball in his hands. I think he will be amazing for us, like Amani has been the last few years, maybe better.

But to win, we wuill need the deep threat....Moss or Maningham need to step up. I love Moss (one of the last few remaining believers). he has produced when on the field, undeniable, he just never sees the field.

I think Hakeem Nicks is going to be our rookie of the year. I see him as an immediate impact player the way that Steve Smith was his first year. I've never been impressed with Sinorice Moss. His production in college was a taste of what was to come with the Giants in the NFL. He never became the punt/kickoff return guy we hoped. Whenever he made it onto the field, he always tried to go backwards and make poeple miss instead of moving forward. Of course it would help if the Giants could actually run a reverse or WR screen effectively.

LOL Buzzkill

I'm as excited as anyone else about the potential of Ramses Barden. I'm just not going to be the board member who talks about how great he is then piss on him when he doesn't live up to the hype. Every single year there is that one player that everyone swears is the next great player to wear the uniform.