SportsWrath

Braylon Edwards

Lughead

April 23, 2009

No deal: Giants don't expect to land Edwards

The Braylon Edwards deal, which many people around the NFL believed was all-but done, now appears to be all-but dead.

According to a source familiar with the situation, the Giants no longer see any hope of acquiring the Cleveland receiver and are moving forward with their plans to take a receiver early in the NFL draft. The sticking point still appears to be GM Jerry Reese’s refusal to part with the Giants’ first-round pick and the Browns’ refusal to take anything less.

It’s pretty much been that way since Reese and Browns GM George Kokinis first talked about Edwards in February, but until very recently there was at least some optimism inside the Giants’ organization that one of the two sides would blink. Reese has no plans to blink, the source said, and the Giants are now convinced that Kokinis won’t either.

So, barring a late drop in the Browns’ asking price - or a dramatic change of heart by Reese — the Giants will head into Day 1 of the draft focused on getting a receiver to help out a corps thinned by the losses of Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer. Several sources have said they almost certainly will take a receiver in Round 1, though there’s at least a small chance they’ll draft a linebacker, depending on how the first 28 picks break.

The Giants also have an interest in moving up in the first round, according to several team sources. With two second-round picks, two third-round picks and 10 picks overall, they certainly have the ammunition to do it, although given their position in the draft it’s not likely they’d be able to get inside the Top 15.

By Ralph Vacchiano on April 23, 2009 12:00 AM

ManKok just don't want to get a deal done apparently. They should have known better than to mess with JR though. Only his third draft and already someone over at NFL.com was listing him #3 best drafter and general eye for talent.

If it was just a 1st round pick straight up for Edwards, it wouldn't be so bad.

You figure, let's say the giants trade away their 1st rounder for Ed (no Kiwi involved) the giants still have their 2nd round pick (43). Combine that with either a 4th or 5th round pick, that should be enough to trade back into the late first round.

But this Kiwi AND a 1st rounder is bullshit. Fuck the browns, either they get something for him (a 2nd and a 5th, or just the 1st) OR let Braylon play another lackluster season in Cleveland and get NOTHING for him after he leaves in free agency.... greedy bastards. The Browns are in no position to be making demands.

hopefully we are eyeing Darius Heyward Bey now, then we get a future MLB with in the 2nd round, so lets say our first goes to the Jets who will take Darius Howard Bey for us and if Josh Freeman falls past Tampa he should be there at our 29th we take him for the Jets. Then Freeman for Bey plus lets say our #2 2nd rounder. Then with the 45th pick we take a Laurinitis if he is there

If I thought I could get the NEXT Kiwi at 29, I would trade them Kiwi and a third for Edwards, I think. But I'd be more inclined to part with our first rounder than Kiwi. Our first and a 4th should be enough. We'll see what happens in 2 days.

Here is a link to Darrius Heyward-Bey's game log for 2008. ESPN I see inconsistency from a game to game basis, particularly versus teams with good defenses or major programs. I'm not sure this guy is really a mid-first round talent! I may be being a little alarmist, but shouldn't a first round WR talent have a resume that includes dominant performance ON THE FIELD at the collegiate level! I know a lot is made of 40 times, private workouts, and physique, but to me all of that is less important than what the player did in actual games.

Compare those numbers to Kenny Britt:

ESPN

Or Hakeem Nicks:

ESPN

They don't come close to being a comparison. This is not to knock those of you who really like DHB, he could still turn out to be a great receiver. A word of caution though, A LOT of receivers that came out with his size and speed never made it in the NFL, except maybe as a kick returner. I think Nicks or Britt are safer choices, and I wouldn't move up to take DHB.

ManKok just don't want to get a deal done apparently. They should have known better than to mess with JR though. Only his third draft and already someone over at NFL.com was listing him #3 best drafter and general eye for talent.

The Mangina and the rest of the N.E. butt boy transplants can drop dead....try to get a Herschell Walker type deal from some other organization... :rolleyes:

If it was just a 1st round pick straight up for Edwards, it wouldn't be so bad.

You figure, let's say the giants trade away their 1st rounder for Ed (no Kiwi involved) the giants still have their 2nd round pick (43). Combine that with either a 4th or 5th round pick, that should be enough to trade back into the late first round.

But this Kiwi AND a 1st rounder is bullshit. Fuck the browns, either they get something for him (a 2nd and a 5th, or just the 1st) OR let Braylon play another lackluster season in Cleveland and get NOTHING for him after he leaves in free agency.... greedy bastards. The Browns are in no position to be making demands.

the dog is not so sure why not. if they can't get a deal for him, at worst they get braylan edwards in a contract year coming off a bad season...he would have a lot to prove if he wanted to get a deal after the season from some team...

WIP in Philly is reporting the Eagles and Browns are working on a deal that would send Shawn Andrews, Sheldon Brown & the Eagles 1st to Cleveland for Edwards & the Browns 1st. Peeps must be out smoking a lot of crack on this nice day in the city.

edit: the 1st rounder would be the pick at #21 the Eagles got in a trade

WIP in Philly is reporting the Eagles and Browns are working on a deal that would send Shawn Andrews, Sheldon Brown & the Eagles 1st to Cleveland for Edwards & the Browns 1st. Peeps must be out smoking a lot of crack on this nice day in the city.

edit: the 1st rounder would be the pick at #21 the Eagles got in a trade

thats pretty ridiculous...but it is Philly sports radio so Im not surprised.