SportsWrath

Yahoo Sports:Giants expected to land Edwards

Mr. P

Sources: Giants expected to land Edwards

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports 23 minutes ago

Buzz up! 2 votes

Print

Yahoo! Sports

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards is expected to become a member of the New York Giants before the NFL draft on April 25-26, according to a pair of sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

“The Giants are going to have to up the offer a bit, but [the Browns] are willing to move him,” said one of two sources with knowledge of the talks between the teams.

Photo Edwards and the Browns had a rough season in 2008

(James Lang/US Presswire)

New York is trying to replace talented yet troubled wideout Plaxico Burress, released by the team on April 3 after a turbulent year near and far from the field. Meanwhile, Cleveland is open to ridding itself of Edwards, who set the team record for touchdown catches in 2007 with 16, because he’s being viewed as someone who will have difficulty working with new coach Eric Mangini.

The Browns reportedly asked for a second- and fifth-round pick and receiver Steve Smith, but the Giants declined. New York countered by offering the two draft picks and receiver Domenik Hixon for Edwards.

Neither the Browns or Giants could be reached for this story, but both sources said the gap will be bridged before the draft.

“The Giants are motivated, they’re trying to win right now,” the aforementioned quoted source said. “Edwards is a bigger guy that [quarterback] Eli [Manning] wants to throw to, like he had with Plaxico. The Giants know they can’t leave Eli with no great receivers. They saw what happened last year.”

New York’s offense sputtered over the final five games of the season after Burress was suspended by the team after shooting himself at a New York nightclub.

Edwards (6.-foot-3 215 pounds), who has expressed a strong desire to play in a large market like New York, isn’t quite as big as Burress (6-5, 232) but would give the Giants a nice-sized target.

Edwards, the third overall pick in 2005, has shown flashes of his joining the league’s elite wideouts, catching 80 balls for 1,289 yards in his record-setting ’07 season. However, that’s the only time he has surpassed 900 yards in a season over his first four years. Last season, Edwards slumped to 55 catches for 873 yards and three touchdowns during the Browns’ disappointing 4-12 season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-g...o&type=lgns

We have 10 picks and one real glaring hole on this team. We can't even sign 10 picks, really, and what we got for Shockey, plus the compensatory 3rd rounder still leaves us in great position. I like Hixon, he has value, but let's be honest. Didn't he show last year he is probably a 3rd WR in a good NFL WR corps? He has additional value because he can return kicks, but to get a big time playmaker that we need, you have to give up something. The only thing I think is holding this deal up is time. The Giants want the negotiations to go slow, so as not to appear desperate or weak, for risk of Cleveland asking for more.

This deal should happen, the Giants have what it takes to get it done and as long as it's three picks or less with us not even parting with our first rounder or BOTH of our seconds, even if you throw in Hixon we should all be ecstatic to land Braylon. Hopefully this thing gets done soon.

As much as it is Blue, this is the year to do it with all the picks we have.

Oh agreed, definately. But they know they are in the perfect position to ask this much, because realistically, even though he's good he's not THAT good.

I think we have to wait till draft day to find out, if Cleveland lands Crabtree we get Edwards

I don't think that them drafting Crabtree HAS to happen for this deal to get done, but I do think that it would seal the deal on them trading Edwards.

I would be concerned if you think that they have to get Crabtree for us to end up with Braylon, because I really think if he's there at 4 then Seattle is going to take Crabtree.

April 14, 2009

Giants back in hunt for Braylon

With less than two weeks to go before the NFL Draft, the Braylon Edwards’ chase is on again, and the Giants are absolutely a part of it.

According to an NFL source familiar with the situation, the Giants and Browns have recently re-opened discussions about the big, 26-year-old receiver that had begun last month at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. The talks are more substantial now than they were, and the source said the Browns appear eager to make a deal.

The Giants certainly have a lot to offer, but they may not be willing to deal the one thing that could immediately get the deal done. The Browns are believed to desire defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka. However, one Giants source who would not confirm anything about possible trade talks, said the Giants have no intention of trading the promising 26-year-old end.

What might be on the table, though, is their first-round pick - 29th overall. According to a report in The National Football Post, the Browns currently have an offer of a No. 1 pick on the table from an unidentified team. The report states the Browns are “in love” with Texas Tech receiver Michael Crabtree, whom they would take with the fifth overall pick, presumably to replace Edwards in their lineup (though they could also make quite the dynamic 1-2 punch, too).

It’s not known if the Giants are the unidentified team to offer their first-round pick. However, two days after that report came another report from Yahoo! Sports that said Edwards is expected to become a member of the New York Giants before the NFL draft on April 25-26.

It’s too early to tell if a deal is really that likely, but clearly GM Jerry Reese - who declined to comment on any possible talks - is positioning the Giants to be in the hunt. Of course, he’s been doing that since he approached Browns GM George Kokinis and opened discussions back in February.

At the time, the Giants reportedly offered the Browns the second- and fifth-round picks they got from New Orleans in the Jeremy Shockey trade. The same report said the Browns countered by asking for receiver Steve Smith and the picks. The Giants countered that, according to the report, by offering receivers Domenik Hixon or Mario Manningham instead.

The Giants later vehemently denied that any players were part of the discussions with the Browns. With 10 draft picks - including five in the first 100 selections - the Giants would rather use a package of those to make a deal, according to a source, rather than part with a player.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/20...for-braylo.html

I hope the Giants are able to keep their no.1 pick in this deal. A 2 and a 5 is great because it still leaves the Gints with 4 picks on the first day including their no.1

I get so excited on draft day that I can hardly contain myself. It's like going to bed on Christmas eve when I was 10 years old. It's awful when the Giants don't have a no. 1 pick like the year after picking up Eli.

I think the Giants are sitting in the catbird seat on this deal because Cleveland knows that Edwards is in his last year and will bolt for FA and the Giants at the end of the season. Then all Cleveland gets is a single comp pick no better than a 3rd rounder. That's why I think they'll pull the trigger on this trade and the Giants shouldn't have to give up more than they already offered. In fact, if the Giants walk away from the table, Cleveland will be following them because they need to make this deal while they can get something for him. That's my opinion anyway!

It will be interesting to see what the terms are....I'm guessing 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and maybe Hixon.

NO WAY would I make that deal. Edwards plays like a 2nd round pick right now with all his drops... Hixon is only in his 2nd year and really could be something, and right now we're saying that's essentially Hixon, Terrell Thomas, Manningham, and Goff. No thanks.

I hope the Giants are able to keep their no.1 pick in this deal. A 2 and a 5 is great because it still leaves the Gints with 4 picks on the first day including their no.1

I get so excited on draft day that I can hardly contain myself. It's like going to bed on Christmas eve when I was 10 years old. It's awful when the Giants don't have a no. 1 pick like the year after picking up Eli.

I think the Giants are sitting in the catbird seat on this deal because Cleveland knows that Edwards is in his last year and will bolt for FA and the Giants at the end of the season. Then all Cleveland gets is a single comp pick no better than a 3rd rounder. That's why I think they'll pull the trigger on this trade and the Giants shouldn't have to give up more than they already offered. In fact, if the Giants walk away from the table, Cleveland will be following them because they need to make this deal while they can get something for him. That's my opinion anyway!

day 1 is only rounds 1 and 2 now

day 1 is only rounds 1 and 2 now

It seems that I remember being surprised (and delighted) last year because they shortened the time limit between picks in rounds 2 and 3 and in the first day three rounds were completed. I haven't seen the rules for this year's draft, but if it's the same as last year, then there would be 3 rounds on day 1.

Bottom line: I don't know this years rules

It seems that I remember being surprised (and delighted) last year because they shortened the time limit between picks in rounds 2 and 3 and in the first day three rounds were completed. I haven't seen the rules for this year's draft, but if it's the same as last year, then there would be 3 rounds on day 1.

Bottom line: I don't know this years rules

The draft currently takes place over two days, with rounds one and two on Day 1 and rounds three through seven on Day 2. Enthusiasts who stay through the end of day 2 will receive VIP passes to skip the lines and get preferred seating to the following year's draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_rounds_..._are_on_day_one

(04-23) 17:48 PDT -- They're promising us that the NFL draft - retooled on Day 1 to encompass the first two rounds only, with less downtime between picks - will be a faster, sleeker production. It's also nudging into the East Coast prime-time television schedule, meaning those of us in the West no longer have to rise early on a Saturday to see a bad team mortgage its future on a rookie.

Nancy Gay

* 49ers' minicamp is tough 03.24.09

* Morning Huddle What our writers are thinking, seeing, hearing 03.21.09

* Davis, Kiffin - together again 03.17.09

* New football league set to join fall landscape 03.12.09

More Nancy Gay »

Get ready for a new way to watch, and hopefully enjoy, the NFL draft.

Saturday's selection process begins at noon on the West Coast, three hours later than in the past.

After 2007's first round dragged for a record 6 hours, 8 minutes, the 15-minute time limit between first-round selections has been reduced to 10 minutes.

The second round will have the time reduced between picks from 10 minutes to seven.

Rounds 3 through 7 will take place Sunday with five minutes allocated between picks. But you'll have to be an early riser for Day 2 of the draft: It will begin at 7 a.m. PDT, an hour earlier than in previous years.

NFL owners voted to enact these changes last fall, after last year's opening round tested the patience of league personnel and fans alike.

Count former 49ers and Lions coach Steve Mariucci, who covers the draft as an analyst for NFL Network, among those who hope the changes to the format will make it more enjoyable for everyone.

"I am really looking forward to it. Last year was a marathon," said Mariucci, who recently re-signed with the NFL Network for the 2008 season. "I sat in that chair with (executive producer Eric Weinberger) for 13 hours and didn't get up. We have a lot of fun. And we try to be as thorough and as concise as we can.

"Last year everybody wanted to use that entire 15 minutes or most everybody did," Mariucci said.

Said Weinberger: "That chair can't be used anymore."

Across the league, there have been no complaints about the quickened pace of the first round. Any fears that five fewer minutes of contemplation might jeopardize possible trades have been largely dismissed.

The format "gives us plenty of time," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said. "There are some people (who) were concerned that you might not be able to do as many trades, things like that. I don't think that will have any effect at all."

You have to wonder: What did teams do during those 15 minutes between first-round picks, anyway?

"In our own room, when it gets to our pick, with the full 15 minutes they used to give us, we would just sit around," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. "You were just hoping that somebody calls. Otherwise you'd say, 'OK, let's just turn it in.'

"This way, maybe people will be much quicker with the calls and the trades. So it'll be good. Fifteen minutes is a long time to sit on your hands."

Nolan isn't a fan of reducing Day 1's action to two rounds.

"I wish we could still do three rounds on the first day," he said. "I mean, you've done all that preparation. Why not keep going?"

When the 49ers had the No. 1 overall selection in 2005, the team already was set on quarterback Alex Smith. But the NFL intervened when the 49ers tried to immediately pull the trigger on the selection.

All that suspense during the early picks apparently makes for great television.

"The draft starts and you've had months to prepare and you just want to turn it in," Nolan recalled about the Smith pick. "But the NFL will tell you to wait. Just wait.

"When you're watching the draft this year and it starts and the first team hasn't picked, you might be wondering, 'Wow, they don't know who they're going to pick, there must be a lot of discussion.' There's probably no discussion. They're just waiting."

This year, the Dolphins already have determined the No. 1 overall pick. They signed former Michigan left tackle Jake Long on Tuesday to a five-year, $57.75 million contract. So the drama is gone there.

Signing a No. 1 overall pick in advance of the draft isn't a novelty - the Texans reached agreement with No. 1 selection defensive end Mario Williams the night before the 2006 draft.

On Wednesday, the NFL reiterated that the Rams, who hold the No. 2 overall pick, cannot begin negotiating with players before Saturday, in accordance with long-standing league policy.

NFL draft

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../SPSA109U8D.DTL

they actually made the switch last year. last year was only 1 and 2 on day 1 also.

they actually made the switch last year. last year was only 1 and 2 on day 1 also.

Well....I'm gettin old...the old memory doesn't work like it used to. I could've sworn that I was surprised last year by seeing 3 rounds on the first day. Oh well.

Anyway...I'm really glad to see they are moving up the starting time on Saturday.

Well....I'm gettin old...the old memory doesn't work like it used to. I could've sworn that I was surprised last year by seeing 3 rounds on the first day. Oh well.

Anyway...I'm really glad to see they are moving up the starting time on Saturday.

thought youd enjoy this one bleedin, since i know you love her.

lolhillary7.jpg