SportsWrath

Starting safeties

BIGBLUE01

Who will be our starting safeties this season?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What combo will win the job?

• Brown/Johnson
    • Brown/Phillips
    • Phillips/Johnson

I say Brown and Johnson. Phillips needs one more year to be starter material.

Gotta say I disagree with you. There are plenty of players that have the talent and are ready to start year one in the NFL... they would be called studs. Phillips is a stud, you have to get him on the field and keep him there as much as possible. I saw enough from Phillips last year to say that he is going to be one of the top safeties in the NFC in a very short period of time.

Gotta say I disagree with you. There are plenty of players that have the talent and are ready to start year one in the NFL... they would be called studs. Phillips is a stud, you have to get him on the field and keep him there as much as possible. I saw enough from Phillips last year to say that he is going to be one of the top safeties in the NFC in a very short period of time.

I agree he's a stud, and don't think he would fare too badly as a starter. But you dont think they will put a more proven vet in there to start if he's healthy? I hear rumors that CC was specifically targeted to replace JB at SS.

:ermm:

I am not understanding all of this concern over our safeties. I thought Phillips and Johnson did what they had to do last year, and weren't part of any problem I could see. That's a rookie, and a guy in his second year after being picked in the seventh round. We should be thrilled we're getting the production we're getting from them.

:ermm:

I am not understanding all of this concern over our safeties. I thought Phillips and Johnson did what they had to do last year, and weren't part of any problem I could see. That's a rookie, and a guy in his second year after being picked in the seventh round. We should be thrilled we're getting the production we're getting from them.

Not really a concern. Remember, we're most likely the best team in football coming up and we have very few weaknesses. Not to mention its the offseason. This is one of the few things goin on with the Gmen.

If you think Johnson should be starting over Phillips then someone's probably been slippin' crack into your Weeties.

Brown is a big fat "?" right now.

Johnsons good, and has been doin it for the last few years. I love K Phil too, just think Johnson's earned it.

Agreed. You don't let your first round pick ride the pine for 2 years. Ever. Especially one as highly touted(and talented) as Kenny Phillips.

If you think Johnson should be starting over Phillips then someone's probably been slippin' crack into your Weeties.

Brown is a big fat "?" right now.

People who think Johnson should be starting on any NYG defense are suffering from delusions.

Agreed. You don't let your first round pick ride the pine for 2 years. Ever. Especially one as highly touted(and talented) as Kenny Phillips.

You have a thing for where a guy was picked in the draft in accordance to how often he plays huh? I seem to remember your issue with Boley was about the round he was drafted in in 2005. Thank god you do not run the team as Luke Pettigout a former 1st rounder very well could be playing LT over David Diehl, a measley old 5th rounder.

I agree Philips should be playing, but if he sucks it does not matter where he was drafted, he simply should not play.

Then you sir are wee-todd-ed

;)

Its We Todd DID. ;)

Actually, Phillips is capable of starting now, I should have rephrased that. But if you don't think Michael Johnson is any good, I wonder which Michael Johnson you've been watching. :unsure: Cant start on any team?? You do realize the cowboys had ROY WILLIAMS as one of their starting safeties at one time, right?

I have to say, I don't know who should start between CC Brown and Michael Johnson. All I know is that Kenny Phillips will be a starter, because the dude can flat out PLAY. SS, FS, it doesn't matter, you ask him to come up in the box and hit people, he will come up and hit people. You ask him to take away the deep ball and go stride for stride with the wide outs, he can do that, too. I hate the Miami Hurricanes as a Seminoles fan but they produce top NFL talent.

As for CC Brown, I am completely ignorant of his ability because I didn't watch any Texans games. I will have to take Nesta's word that he is pretty good. And to be honest, I didn't notice Michael Johnson that much, either, last year. I know he was a starter but I didn't see many big plays from him, I think that others must have overshadowed him or I just wasn't paying good enough attention to what was going on in the defensive backfield. So Johnson or Brown, I don't know... but I'm confident the Giants will make the right decision.

What I do know is that both Johnson AND Brown have to be better than Leroy Butler. Good riddance!

You have a thing for where a guy was picked in the draft in accordance to how often he plays huh? I seem to remember your issue with Boley was about the round he was drafted in in 2005. Thank god you do not run the team as Luke Pettigout a former 1st rounder very well could be playing LT over David Diehl, a measley old 5th rounder.

I agree Philips should be playing, but if he sucks it does not matter where he was drafted, he simply should not play.

Luke Petitgout played many solid years for us, what are you talking about? He had an issue with false starts late in his career, and now he's just old and no longer in the league(that and he got nabbed with substance abuse suspension, and no one will sign him)...the majority of his career he spent in NY(7 years, most of them starting). EA has nothing but good things to say about Luke and about him being a cornerstone of those offenses and Tiki's resurgence in his book The GM. Soo...either you know something the entire organization didn't or are basing your opinion on the fact that he had a problem with penalties late in his career. Regardless, you're wrong Petitgout kept the QB on his feet and the running back going through gaps. That was his job.

And my gripe was with Boley's measly stats, the fact he's undersized, played for a horrible Hotlanta defense, and was replaced late last season. Then I look at the fact he was drafted in the 5th round and I'm not reassured. But I also trust our organization and front office.

And Phillips obviously doesn't suck.

Good try.

Its We Todd DID. ;)

Actually, Phillips is capable of starting now, I should have rephrased that. But if you don't think Michael Johnson is any good, I wonder which Michael Johnson you've been watching. :unsure: Cant start on any team?? You do realize the cowboys had ROY WILLIAMS as one of their starting safeties at one time, right?

On any of these recent GIANT teams...

Roy Williams WAS far better than Michael Johnson, man. Maybe not anymore. Your exposure to him was Shockey owning him back a few years ago...didn't mean everyone owned him...

People who think Johnson should be starting on any NYG defense are suffering from delusions.

You mean the NYG defense that had Brent "Why Won't They Let Me Retire" Alexander playing as late as 2005?

Or is it because Johnson has big shoes to fill with the loss of Butler?

And as far as Petigout: the man had a 7 year career--what do you consider "late?" Kerry Collins had ball security issues, and his biggest problem was if he was even tapped from his blind side, the ball was coming out. The blind side was Luke's responsibility, and Collins led the team (not even playing a full season) in fumbles in 2003. That tells me the guy couldn't handle an outside rush, at least as early as 2003. That was his 5th year--so "late in his career" means the entire second half of his career?

We would have definitely seen a noticeable dropoff with Diehl if Petitgout was as great as some of you folks insist.

On any of these recent GIANT teams...

Roy Williams WAS far better than Michael Johnson, man. Maybe not anymore. Your exposure to him was Shockey owning him back a few years ago...didn't mean everyone owned him...

My bad, I answered if you said ANY NFL team.

Roy Williams got burned alot. My only memory of R Williams isnt only the Shockey one. What about the Toomer TD in the Dallas playoff game our SB yr? WTF was he doing diving the other way? I mean other than horsecollaring, I dont recall much from R Williams ever. Johnson already looks to have more talent than Roy ever had.

Johnsons good, and has been doin it for the last few years. I love K Phil too, just think Johnson's earned it.

Our opinions on Johnson's progression differ. Therefore one of us is an ignorant retard. This I've learned from my years of internetting.

Our opinions on Johnson's progression differ. Therefore one of us is an ignorant retard. This I've learned from my years of internetting.

Well Tree, Im sad to say that it may be you. I mean, I'm not the one who thought Keith Elias was a TE....................... :o

:P

You mean the NYG defense that had Brent "Why Won't They Let Me Retire" Alexander playing as late as 2005?

Or is it because Johnson has big shoes to fill with the loss of Butler?

And as far as Petigout: the man had a 7 year career--what do you consider "late?" Kerry Collins had ball security issues, and his biggest problem was if he was even tapped from his blind side, the ball was coming out. The blind side was Luke's responsibility, and Collins led the team (not even playing a full season) in fumbles in 2003. That tells me the guy couldn't handle an outside rush, at least as early as 2003. That was his 5th year--so "late in his career" means the entire second half of his career?

We would have definitely seen a noticeable dropoff with Diehl if Petitgout was as great as some of you folks insist.

Um, being an offensive lineman, 7 years in the league is pretty good.

Like I said, the Giants stuck with Petitgout for 7 years. That's all the evidence I need that he was a good player, not to mention growing up watching those teams. Not to mention Accorsi, like I said credits Petitgout for Collins 2000 season and Barber's turnaround.