SportsWrath

Canty to visit Giants

Mr. P

When the Washington Redskins dumped $100 million in the lap of Albert Haynesworth they immediately cancelled their visit with Cowboys defensive end Chris Canty.

So instead, Canty will be visiting the Giants.

The details haven’t been finalized yet, but according to an NFL source the Giants are trying to get the 26-year-old Canty into New Jersey for a visit tomorrow. He has tentative plans to travel to the West Cost for a visit with Seattle on Monday and possibly San Francisco on Tuesday, but since he was planning on being in the Northeast anyway to meet with the Redskins, the source said arranging the visit shouldn’t be a problem at all.

Canty is a 6-foot-7, 304-pound run-stopping force. He has 10 career sacks in four seasons with the Cowboys, but as an end in a 3-4 defense he wasn’t needed to be much of a pass rusher. His primary job was to stop the run and occupy offensive linemen to clear space for the Cowboys’ pass-rushing linebackers.

That means he could make a seamless transition to defensive tackle in the Giants’ 4-3 defensive scheme. It’s believed that is the position the Giants want him to play.

The Giants are obviously looking for help at defensive tackle. As reported earlier, they’re bringing in DT Rocky Bernard later today. They’ve also invited DE Antonio Smith in for a visit — and he’s another 3-4 end (6-4, 285) who could make a quick transition to a 4-3 tackle.

The Giants need some depth at that position, since both Barry Cofield and Fred Robbins wore down late last season. Robbins battled through shoulder and hand injuries, and both players had offseason knee surgery. Robbins is also headed to the last year of his contract.

Canty was very high on the Redskins’ radar and was expecting to meet with them this morning, before Redskins owner Dan Snyder decided to sign Haynesworth instead.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/

:confused:

In the 4 years Canty has been playing here in Dallas. Never has the words 'Force' and 'Canty' been said in the same sentence. Oh wait, I forgot. There was This one time.... "Chris Canty was force to sit on the bench again for lack of production." So I take it back.

In the 4 years Canty has been playing here in Dallas. Never has the words 'Force' and 'Canty' been said in the same sentence. Oh wait, I forgot. There was This one time.... "Chris Canty was force to sit on the bench again for lack of production." So I take it back.

He's a run stuffer and he'd be a good fit for the Giants.

he's good at stopping the run, and the Giants need a quality DT for the rotation....Coefield and Robbins wear down and Robbins is in the last year of his deal, so bringing in Canty long term could possibly fill that void for veteran presence and they can develop another DT. Maybe they will get lucky and get another Coefield in round 3 again this year.

That's a hefty price to pay for interior lineman help if you ask me. I'd rather go through the draft. Alford and Cofield have the potential to be big players for us in the future, in fact Cofield may already be there.

guess robbings is going to be a big FA next year. He's been very good for us and the first half of this season before he got hurt he was a monster