Lughead

LINK to GIANTS.COM

If they didn't promote him Spags would of snagged him

Bill Sheridan named D. Coordinaor

E35BB2CE9DCB46DBA43B1F4F77646909.gif

By Michael Eisen, Giants.com

Take this story to go! - RSS | Podcast | Mobile

JANUARY 19, 2009

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - Tom Coughlin today moved swiftly and stayed in-house to fill an important vacancy on his coaching staff when he named Bill Sheridan as the Giants' new defensive coordinator.

Linebackers Coach Bill Sheridan was named Defensive Coordinator on Monday

Sheridan, who turns 50 on Jan. 27, has been the team's linebackers coach for the past four seasons. He succeeds Steve Spagnuolo, who was introduced today as the St. Louis Rams' new head coach. Spagnuolo was the Giants' defensive coordinator for two years.

The Giants have been to the playoffs in each of Sheridan's four seasons with the team.

"Bill is a very good football coach," Coughlin said. "He does an excellent job of teaching, of reinforcing what we aspire to be with our defensive team. He's coached our linebackers, he's given a big assist to Steve in all that he has done. As a linebackers coach, you're a central figure in the spoke, because you're involved in the coordination of the front and the linebackers and then the back seven. He has done a good job of encompassing the entire defense and grasping the aggressive style."

Sheridan played an integral role on a defensive staff that helped the Giants win a Super Bowl and an NFC East title the last two seasons. The Giants lost last week in the divisional round of this season's playoffs.

"We won 26 games here in the last two years," Coughlin said. "Despite the fact that we're all miserable, there is an inclination when that happens that you would stay within."

Coughlin yesterday interviewed both Sheridan and Peter Giunta, secondary coach/cornerbacks, who was the defensive coordinator for the Rams team that won Super Bowl XXXIV following the 1999 season. Coughlin said he was impressed with both coaches. He informed both coaches of his decision early this morning.

"Both were very good," Coughlin said. "Peter has been a coordinator before. I just felt in my gut that Bill would be the right choice.

"My questions to the two candidates were: 'How do we get better? Where do we go from here?' Both had very good answers, very solid, aggressive, going forward-type answers. And that's the message that I want. The message that goes out there is we do have the New York Giant defense, we will play the New York Giant defense, we will recognize our players and our coaches that have attained a couple years of good, solid play here. And our intentions going forward are that we improve and be better. We're excited about the opportunity to get this group together again and add some other players to the group and to improve."

I'm a little concern in giving the Def Coordinator position to someone who coach arguably our weakest position. :unsure:

I dont know, maybe when we actually get some starters and not just backups(Blackburn, Clark, ect) then we should see some improvement. I dont know many teams who have all but one starter(Pierce) playing such an important position.

I dont know, maybe when we actually get some starters and not just backups(Blackburn, Clark, ect) then we should see some improvement. I dont know many teams who have all but one starter(Pierce) playing such an important position.

Agreed. Kiwi was going to be a LB and Wilkinson who clearly can't stay healthy was supposed to be the other starter. I think they did pretty good.

Reportedly, that was first name on Spags list.

I wouldnt doubt it...look at last year our LBs played like fucking animals. They we're always at the point of attack and just making life a living hell for the Offense. Plus they also had to deal with our D-line....must of been scary trying to game plan for it.

This draft we need to get some LB beside Pierce who is going to intimidate like him, some kid with no regard for anyone else just a hard hitting SOB who can drop back into coverage.

Kiwi can be the other LB...basically our 5th D-lineman on the field plus someone who can sniff out the run.

I'm a little concern in giving the Def Coordinator position to someone who coach arguably our weakest position. :unsure:

Spags was the LB coach for the Eagles and that was their worst position at the time.

He's a coach not a miracle worker. He wasn't going to give Danny Clark skills, he wasn't going to make Pierce faster, and he wasn't going to make Blackburn another Jessie Armstead.

Looking on the bright side, he was able to get alot out of B-Talent. The Giants LB's are more smart than athletic.

Hopefully, Sheridan can persuade the front office to draft an LB in round #1....would be the 1st since Carl Banks, and the 2nd since Lawrence Taylor.