SportsWrath

Rams fire entire coaching staff

Lughead

Rams fire entire coaching staff on day Spagnuolo interviews, but Frazier reportedly the favorite

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger Thursday January 15, 2009, 7:03 PM

7:28 p.m. UPDATE Glad I reminded everyone not to jump to conclusions because NFL.com is now reporting Frazier is the leading candidate. If so, that's another big hurdle cleared on Spagnuolo's way back to the Giants. That Chiefs situation is lurking, though.

I was planning to blog a few of the below items earlier, but I was in the city when the USAir flight landed in the Hudson, so getting back home took a bit longer than expected. What a job by the pilot on that one. A big game ball to that guy from all of us who were below your flight and those who were on it.

Speaking of those who were on it, a friend of mine flew on USAir to Charlotte from LaGuardia this afternoon - on the flight that left right before that one. Wow.

But I digress. Back to the Giants and Steve Spagnuolo.

As we know, Spagnuolo is interviewing with the Rams today. Profootballtalk.com is reporting the Rams have fired their entire coaching staff.

Yikes.

But let's not jump to any conclusions. Maybe they've decided on either Leslie Frazier or Jason Garrett or no one yet. Maybe they just realize they're close to picking a coach and it isn't Haslett. We'll find out soon.

Also, Spagnuolo had a second meeting with the Jets earlier this week. I had a feeling that was going to come out eventually. Too much time had passed between the Giants' loss and his interview with the Rams. That smelled fishy to me.

And on a related note, The National Football Post is reporting what everyone has anticipated: Spags is atop the Chiefs' list of coaching candidates. That is, of course, provided they decide to get rid of their current coach, Herm Edwards.

Last night, Tom Coughlin was on "Mad Dog Unleashed" - the Sirius/XM show hosted by former WFAN personality Chris Russo. During the interview, Russo asked if P Jeff Feagles will return for a 22nd season.

"I think so. I think he's excited," Coughlin said, according to a transcript provided by Sirius/XM. "Let's face it, a couple of years ago Jeff was all set to retire and he and I went through a bunch of sessions together and Jeff decided to come back. And in the time he's been back here he's won a Super Bowl and he's now on his way to the Pro Bowl. Arguably only in a few instances that this is the best year he's ever had."

The Giants have signed these players to futures contracts for the 2009 season:

QB Andre' Woodson, WRs Taye Biddle and Micah Rucker, OL Mike Fladell and Cliff Louis, TE Martrez Milner, DB Travonti Johnson, RB Dwayne Wright and OL Orrin Thompson. Wright and Thompson are new additions; the rest were on the Giants' practice squad.

WR Paul Raymond, the eighth member of the practice squad, was apparently not retained.

MG

Add KC to the Spags Lottery

Mark my words. If we lose Spags, the window is closed. Sure we might have a decent year from his lingering effect, but we will be going down hill fast.

We should get AP to be the DC if he goes though.

geez talk about doom and gloom....lets not over react here...the next DC may be better...we just don't know yet.

geez talk about doom and gloom....lets not over react here...the next DC may be better...we just don't know yet.
I may be wrong but, if I were Reese and lost Spags, I would consider offering the DC job to Strahan. He was a terrific defensive player, and would have immediate respect from all the players on the team.

I may be wrong but, if I were Reese and lost Spags, I would consider offering the DC job to Strahan. He was a terrific defensive player, and would have immediate respect from all the players on the team.

And he's coached at what level? I think if Strahan wanted to coach DLine would be a better start and see how he does. Hell Armstead would be a better idea because at least is currently a staff member.

And he's coached at what level? I think if Strahan wanted to coach DLine would be a better start and see how he does. Hell Armstead would be a better idea because at least is currently a staff member.
You have come up with a better idea than I had. Jesse would certainly be a great addition if we lose Spags. :clap:

St.Louis is a pretty shitty job to take, especially for a defensive minded coach, how many great defenses play in a dome? They want greatest show on turf 2.... and the owner has been looking to sell the team.

Kansas City would be a good place to land though... excitable fan base, replacing Herm should guarantee you a better season then last.

Jets - The potential to fuck yourself is so high coaching from the other lockeroom in the medowlands. They do however have a lot of talent on the team.

Spags has to know that TC has an eye to retirement. He is an old man, got his superbowl. Maybe next season he steps down and Spags is there as the defensive leader who steps up to lead the Giants.

We may be able to knock another one off the list :rock:

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett is on a plane to St. Louis as of Friday afternoon.

Schefter could not get confirmation that Garrett has been hired, but the timing indicates the probability. Meanwhile, ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting that Ravens DC Rex Ryan is the favorite even though Ryan can't be hired until his team's postseason ends. The latest evidence, of course, points to Garrett.

Source: NFL.com