SportsWrath

So...

so-cal dub

we also owe it to chicago not to "lay down like dogs" a la the 49ers (at least that's what simms accused them of when we couldn't seal the deal for ourselves against the hapless jets).

LOL!!! I think we won the LOTTO....the same quote in two different posts. I quoted it in answer to Gut....and I agree we should play all of our starters who are not questionable.

Whether they would or wouldn't have doesn't change anything Jim. Saying they 'barely made they playoffs' is ridiculous given that they sat their starters for two weeks. And yeah there's no guarantee they would've beaten a 4-10 SF team or the 6-9 panthers without Delhomme, but it would've been a pretty damn safe bet. All of that means nothing because they were locked into the playoffs already. :confused: What does the number of Tampa games you see have to do with it?

Actually I didn't say that they barely made the playoffs. I said they were barely a playoff team. As in the caliber of their talent. If they played in another division, methinks they don't make it, or they barely make it. There is a difference.

Me watching them a lot... that just means I know this team. I know what I see. I could tell you that they were pretenders. I didn't even bring Tampa up. Somebody else did trying to make some correlation with the fact that they sat their starters and they lost in their first playoff game. I'm saying that had nothing to do with it, what did have something to do with it was the fact that we had a better team, and THAT'S why they lost.

We can go back and forth all day. All I'm saying is that resting guys that need rest is the smart play. This is not 2007, this is 2008 and we're the defending champs. These guys don't need convincing that they are good enough to beat anybody like they did last year.

I'm cool if only Jacobs, Robbins, McKenzie and Ross are inactive, and maybe Hixon. But if any of those starters get hurt and miss the postseason, God forbid it be Eli, Snee, or Tuck, then we are seriously f-ed in the playoffs, and NOBODY here will say that it was a good decision to have them playing.

Just like WTF was Umenyiora playing in the 2nd quarter of the third preseason game after he had already played 2 series? Injuries like that matter. There was no reason for him to still be playing. When you are the caliber of player of a Umenyiora, then screw the preseason. Ladainian has it right... I don't do preseason. The games matter for players trying to make the team, not for all-pro RB's and DE's.

But I digress. This is the same thing. This is just the same as a pre-season game. It's meaningless. And if we lose a key player, I guarantee people here will swear up and down that Coughlin is a moron for playing that player in a meaningless game.

In my perfect scenario the playoff teams in the NFC are THe Giants, Panthers, Bears and Cards with the Bucs and Falcons as WC teams. There are three teams that really worry me, Dallas, Philly and the Vikes. Now I by no means think we should play anyone that is not 100%, that means Jacobs, Robbins, McKenzie, but I do not want to lay down and lay a complete egg. I would love to knock the Vikings out of it and I will also be rooting for Philly in the "I hate you both bowl" and of course the Bucs.

One person scares me and its that cheap shot SOB Jared Allen, but I think we owe it to the league and possibly our own teams future as I feel Minny is very dangerous, even here in NY to at the very least give a full effort with the healthy players.

"Toxic Tom" has given you 4 playoff teams (all right, if you want, don't count 2006, make it 3) in 5 years, a SB win, a record currently sitting at 12-3, and probably the most efficient team outside of NE. The only other team I can think of that's in their league as far as a system is concerned is Tennessee.

Apparently, toxic seems to work.

And if they had one of the two division games this month, I might even agree with you. But 1-3 is not a good way to go into the playoffs.

In the meantime, I think I'll go with what TC decides to do.

What makes you think we can't beat the Vikings with the bench crew? Although i dont know if it's a good idea to have some these guys not play for three whole weeks. Im sure the Giants org will consider these factors and make the right decisions.

KSP, I think the Giants can win because one of the Williams' is out, and if an arbitrator rules in the NFL's favor this week, both will be out. We can run on these guys, without Jacobs. Plus I have a lot of confidence in our quarterback play against marginal opponents, be it Eli or David Carr. I'm sure I'm in the minority on this. I think we have too much depth for this team.

I stopped reading after page 1, but this year's version of getting to the Superbowl is different than last year. Guys are going to play a few snaps and then get pulled because they do need to stay healthy. With Jacobs health being so - so, it wouldn't be a good idea to leave him in all game. Tuck could do with a rest. McKenzie needs a break and Boothe can play one game out there as starter. Hixon is hurt, so why not give manningham a shot. And if your worried about not being fair to the Bears, that the Bears problem, and with our depth, any team we put out there is a decent team. Hell, we even have a backup kicker. :o

Actually I didn't say that they barely made the playoffs. I said they were barely a playoff team. As in the caliber of their talent. If they played in another division, methinks they don't make it, or they barely make it. There is a difference.

Me watching them a lot... that just means I know this team. I know what I see. I could tell you that they were pretenders. I didn't even bring Tampa up. Somebody else did trying to make some correlation with the fact that they sat their starters and they lost in their first playoff game. I'm saying that had nothing to do with it, what did have something to do with it was the fact that we had a better team, and THAT'S why they lost.

We can go back and forth all day. All I'm saying is that resting guys that need rest is the smart play. This is not 2007, this is 2008 and we're the defending champs. These guys don't need convincing that they are good enough to beat anybody like they did last year.

I'm cool if only Jacobs, Robbins, McKenzie and Ross are inactive, and maybe Hixon. But if any of those starters get hurt and miss the postseason, God forbid it be Eli, Snee, or Tuck, then we are seriously f-ed in the playoffs, and NOBODY here will say that it was a good decision to have them playing.

Just like WTF was Umenyiora playing in the 2nd quarter of the third preseason game after he had already played 2 series? Injuries like that matter. There was no reason for him to still be playing. When you are the caliber of player of a Umenyiora, then screw the preseason. Ladainian has it right... I don't do preseason. The games matter for players trying to make the team, not for all-pro RB's and DE's.

But I digress. This is the same thing. This is just the same as a pre-season game. It's meaningless. And if we lose a key player, I guarantee people here will swear up and down that Coughlin is a moron for playing that player in a meaningless game.

Barely a playoff team or barely made the playoffs.... what's the difference?

We were barely a playoff team.

I don't have any problem with resting anyone as long as it looks like a victory is in the bag.

Like it was already said, 1-3 is not a good walk into the playoffs. I want to dominate the vikings, and give as much rest to anyone who thinks they need it.

Anybody who thinks we can beat the Vikes with only our scrubs is kidding themselves. They're playing for a playoff spot and division title. Not to mention Darren Sharper has Eli's number, the run D is still great without Williams, and All Day Peterson can run with the best of them.

Is it me, or are we actually agreeing on the same people being kept out, and arguing anyway?

KSP, you quote me in your post saying this:

In the meantime, I think I'll go with what TC decides to do.

and respond with this:

Im sure the Giants org will consider these factors and make the right decisions.

Obviously, we're miles apart here, LOL. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

The only things we're really debating is how long Jacobs plays (I want to see him get 5-10 rushes, others don't want any), and McKenzie. He's earned a break, but I'm worried that if he stays out too long, that back will stiffen on him, and then he's really screwed for the playoffs.

Plus, I think you guys might be underestimating Minnesota, which is, after all, a 9-6 team. I hope you guys are right.

I have the answers.

The Giants can make it easy for Ward. They could decide to give Jacobs an extra week off to rest his knee and give Ward the majority of carries.

Don't expect that.

Coach Tom Coughlin plans on playing to win. So if Jacobs is given the OK by the doctors, he'll be in the lineup.

"Whatever they decide to do is up to them," said Jacobs, whose pounding style usually sets up things for the quicker Ward later in the game. "I'm here, I feel good and whatever coach goes with, I'll be ready for."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Just one more observation on this.

If Jacobs doesn't play, there's a possibility that our running game may not be effective.

This will lead to more passing situations.

Now we all know too well that Sharper has 4 INT's and two pick-sixes in two games, but another person to worry about is that dirty fuck Jared Allen. Too many times this year I've seen him go after a QB's knees. I believe he's even been fined for it.

And if we're down a lineman as well....

In the past 4 or 5 meetings with this team, we have beaten them on the road and they have beaten us at home.

Let's knock 'em out of it in Minny so we don't end up having them at home.

Just noticed xxi had already brought up allen. He is a dirty mf'er.

Edited by nesta