SportsWrath

Giants on the verge

Lughead

I am feeling good about Last nights win. Just to see the Giants back on the field. Just to see Eli Commanding his Offense again . Glad to see our D still rolling better than what was expected . All is happy in Giants land .

Untill that is I read the Washington Times online. The head line said it all to me . Even though it was focused on the Redskins. I took it to my Giant heart. The headlines read "Not ready for football". Now I know you all Probably have a knee jerk reaction or be taken aback and wont see how it all adds up.

The way I looked at it is simple there are a few Elite teams in the NFL (Pat's,Chargers and Colts) and the Giants are not there , YET..... Now hear me out before you ridicule me . The Giants started the season with a game opening Drive that was capped off with a TD. That is all good and the Defence surely came to play .

Carney filled in beautifully for Tynes 24,25 and 47 yard FG's But that is one problem that needs to be addressed if the Giants want to become an Elite team . They have to feel that settling for a FG is unacceptable. They can not get to the 20 and and bog down. We have seen this for years. The RED zone has to be conqured plain and simple. Last night's game Easily could of been 28-0 at Half time.

Din Complacincy sit in afte that 1st offensive series? That is one thing that the Giants can not do and that is to get complacent .

Now the Defence did an Outstanding job lastnight but just couldn't hold them to a shut out. It sure did seam like that Spag's had the Redskins Number all night. But, you have to look at who you were playing. Not that I am putting the Redskins down it's just that they are not a team that is "GELLED" as well as the Giants have . They dont have as many playmakers as the Giants have either .

So what does that mean for the Giants and being on the Verge? Simple, if the Giants want to take that step over to the Elite side the need to anihalate teams like the Redskins we saw lastnight. There should be no question as to the position Giants have as they enter a game. If the Giants can put games away by the 3rd quarter then they will become an Elite team. We still need work , we still need.........work.

Edit- here is the Washington Times LINK

That's always been one of the most frustrating thing for Giants fans.. the Giants open up the game mauling the opponent.. only to go conservative soon after. Yes we're not there yet as far as being elite.. but come to think of it, no one is perfect.

That's always been one of the most frustrating thing for Giants fans.. the Giants open up the game mauling the opponent.. only to go conservative soon after. Yes we're not there yet as far as being elite.. but come to think of it, no one is perfect.

Yeah Not even the 18-NY Patriots :P

Anyway, To be an elite team you should be able steam roll much lesser teams . Which we did "NOT" do last night . One thing that is for certain Spag's never got into Prevent mode later in the fourth. he kept the D coming after the QB . :TU:

Once the skins decided to go after Eli, things really slowed down. I really wasnt inspired by the play calling on Offense in the second half. Just cause it works in the first quater, doesnt mean it will work in the 3rd or 4th. You gotta ajust.

Defense was killer, take a couple dumb penalties away and it would have been a shut out. ;)

They seriously need to replace Mcquarters at PR.

Hopefully we get Hixon and Manningham back for next week.

Why didnt we use our pass catching TE more?

Can Jacobs get over the butter fingers?

Why are we running sweeps with Jacobs on 3rd and 2?

Though Toomer had a couple good catches, Im affraid he might be showing his age. Its still early yet though, he can definitly step up still.

They will go to the film this week now that the rust is knocked off, and I think we will see a much better Giants offense (for the whole game) this coming week. The Giants and Skins is always a tough game, really compared to the games we played against them last year, this was really a blow out.

I agree Lug, we arent there yet. But we certainly can be not to long from now.

Once the skins decided to go after Eli, things really slowed down. I really wasnt inspired by the play calling on Offense in the second half. Just cause it works in the first quater, doesnt mean it will work in the 3rd or 4th. You gotta ajust.

Defense was killer, take a couple dumb penalties away and it would have been a shut out. ;)

They seriously need to replace Mcquarters at PR.

Why didnt we use our pass catching TE more?

Can Jacobs get over the butter fingers?

Why are we running sweeps with Jacobs on 3rd and 2?

Though Toomer had a couple good catches, Im affraid he might be showing his age. Its still early yet though, he can definitly step up still.

They will go to the film this week now that the rust is knocked off, and I think we will see a much better Giants offense (for the whole game) this coming week. The Giants and Skins is always a tough game, really compared to the games we played against them last year, this was really a blow out.

I agree Lug, we arent there yet. But we certainly can be not to long from now.

I said the same exact things to my friends last night. Really brilliant play and terrific play calling from Gilbride. Then, when got into the red zone again, all of a sudden we got conservative and the play calling was certainly lacking. I didn't like it but I am not sure if it was the gameplan or not. I would have liked to see them put them away early.

I started thinking this morning and maybe that is not what Coughlin wants to do. He does not want his players and team to think of themselves as a top team. They still have problems and need to work on them, which can motivate them more. I really don't know but as a fan I wanted them to kill the Skins last night.

I said the same exact things to my friends last night. Really brilliant play and terrific play calling from Gilbride. Then, when got into the red zone again, all of a sudden we got conservative and the play calling was certainly lacking. I didn't like it but I am not sure if it was the gameplan or not. I would have liked to see them put them away early.

I started thinking this morning and maybe that is not what Coughlin wants to do. He does not want his players and team to think of themselves as a top team. They still have problems and need to work on them, which can motivate them more. I really don't know but as a fan I wanted them to kill the Skins last night.

Thats what is kinda disapointing. We should have destroyed them. The game should have been over in the second quater. I hope it was just first game rust. Im thinking they will come out firing next week.

Once the skins decided to go after Eli, things really slowed down. I really wasn't inspired by the play calling on Offense in the second half. Just cause it works in the first quarter, doesn't mean it will work in the 3rd or 4th. You gotta adjust.

They seriously need to replace McQuarters at PR.

Hixon was playing and I think he had a few ST tackles. I think Coughlin wants sure hands and smart decisions at PR and McQuarters plays it safe meaning no heart attacks from the PR. The O certainly did look great at the beginning but seemed to start playing conservative to keep the lead. It's only the first game though so you'd expect some issues. Also if Zorn wants to keep his job he better get his team motivated. Campbell and company looked like they could give a shit if they won and the 3 minute drill/time management by the Redskins was a joke. When Madden is questioning your coaching decisions repeatedly you know your fucking up.

I think alot of it has to do with the first game of the season. I mean you come into the new season Superbowl champs and with numerous new players on your O and D who need to step up and fill roles of the vets. I don't think the coaches wanted to come out that day and say "Hey were going to throw everything at them and the kitchen sink" I think the coaches wanted to go out and see what we could do and what we will need improvement on. We showed that we could run the ball and that Jacobs/Ward is a really good combo for the regular season and I'm sure Bradshaw will be getting into the mix soon. We showed that our D can still bring pressure and our backfeild has in some way improved with Ross and Phillips making some nice tackles in the game. I dont think ST are a big concern at this moment I mean we only really gave up one big return and Mc3/4s is a safe returner this early in the season. I'm sure as the season goes on Hixon or someone else could be returning punts/kicks.

What I think we do needs to improve on and what I think everyone agrees with is putting the ball in the endzone. I don't think penaltys are going to be our problem, like I said it was the first game and I'm sure everyone got the jitters out of their system. We do need to punch the ball in inside the 20 and I'm hoping it was just us not trying to make stuff happen in the first game and just seeing what we can do. On the D side I noticed that some of our blitz were picked up easily and exploited with some quick throws, hopefully as the season goes on our DBs can get better in man coverage but thats not to say they didn't do a bad job last night.

All and all we did alot of good things and showed we could be a team that can be great, we just really need to improve on some things. As I mentioned I think it was just a case of the coaches not wanting to show every last thing they had in their arsenal that night and trying to stick with what worked and build from there.

As a Redskins fan I wasn't too happy. Really the score makes the game look close than it actually was. You guys should have won by more.

I give the Skins D a little credit. They did play well in the second half even with injuries but the offense clearly doesn't have a handle on the passing game.

Oh Yeah, Carlos Rogers doesn't have hands he has mittens. I've never seen a corner back miss more interceptions than that guy.

I think you have to give the Skins' D a little credit too. They should have had 5 INTs by my count (dropped 4) and their pass rush is wildly under-rated.

I meant to post this before but Eli needs to be smarter with his throws. If there isn't anything then throw it away, don't force the ball and cause a turnover. It's the first game but Eli is lucky he didn't have 3 more INTs. I hope Eli of old isn't emerging but he's got me nervous again.