SportsWrath

Top Head coaches in the NFC

xxi-xxv

I think Coughlin is just starting to turn the corner to becomeing a better coach, last year when he started to relate to the players has put him on the top in terms of coaching.

I like Holmgren and Andy Reid. Andy Reid being a student of Holgren, both big fat guys who seem to always get their point across and get their players motivated. Always seem to field teams that can win.

Gruden has my respect also. He always sticks to his guns of being a hard ass coach and sticks to his play style.

....just coaches I like in the NFC.

Well Coughlin, Gruden and Holmgren are the only coaches in the NFC to win a Super Bowl. Holmgren has been there 3 times, Gruden 2 times and Coughlin once. You cannot compare these three coaches, they have much different coaching styles. I would probably go with Holmgren because of his track record and how many times he has been in the playoffs and Super Bowl appearances.

Even if Andy Reid won a Super Bowl, he has made too many mistakes as a coach to even be included. He is a great motivator and has brought his team to a few championship games but some of his bone head mistakes puzzles me. He probably wont be back after this year. Great topic by the way.

Well Coughlin, Gruden and Holmgren are the only coaches in the NFC to win a Super Bowl. Holmgren has been there 3 times, Gruden 2 times and Coughlin once. You cannot compare these three coaches, they have much different coaching styles. I would probably go with Holmgren because of his track record and how many times he has been in the playoffs and Super Bowl appearances.

Even if Andy Reid won a Super Bowl, he has made too many mistakes as a coach to even be included. He is a great motivator and has brought his team to a few championship games but some of his bone head mistakes puzzles me. He probably wont be back after this year. Great topic by the way.

Agreed, and hes choked when it counted most too many times, cant win the big one.

I'd say Coughlin or Holmgren.

Agreed, and hes choked when it counted most too many times, cant win the big one.

I'd say Coughlin or Holmgren.

I don't want to be a homer on this one but Coughlin is an obvious choice as one of the top in the NFC. I am sure many sports media outlets would leave him out and put Wade Phillips in their top 5. I am sure of it that Coughlin would be left out. Hey come on, the Cowboys won the NFC East last year in convincing fashion. Christ I have heard many predicting that Coughlin's job will be in jeopardy this year. LOL. I still have to go with Holmgren as the best in the NFC. Look how many injuries the Seahawks had last year and they still made the playoffs and got beyond wild card weekend. Of course they lost to Broadway Brett, but it was not the best conditions.

We can look back on Coughlin's career a bit. He made 4 straight appearances with Jacksonville, got them to the AFC championship in their second year plus led them to the conference championship once more. . After taking over the Giants, he led them to 3 straight appearances counting a world championship. He also did pretty well with BC after they were slumping for so many years. He has been pretty successful but you still cannot forget the turmoil in the 2 years prior to last year. He didn't deserve it though.

We can look back on Coughlin's career a bit. He made 4 straight appearances with Jacksonville, got them to the AFC championship in their second year plus led them to the conference championship once more. . After taking over the Giants, he led them to 3 straight appearances counting a world championship. He also did pretty well with BC after they were slumping for so many years. He has been pretty successful but you still cannot forget the turmoil in the 2 years prior to last year. He didn't deserve it though.

That's actually a really good point. We forget a lot about the success Coughlin had in Jacksonville... and he remained mostly successful until the injury bug struck for three consecutive seasons.

If Cough wins another one I'd have to day that vaults him to the top in the NFC.

Gruden has only been to 1 SB, his first year with the Bucs where he took Tony Dungys team and beat his old team coached by Bill Calahan, who in case you did not know now has the luxury of being one of the coaches that gets to coach Brett Favre, a tremendous honor.

Anyway here is how I see it. Holmgren is the top choice and obvious one for his success in GB and Seattle, although he has not won a SB in 12 years, he certainly has made Seattle an every year powerhouse, albeit now in a weak NFC west.

Gruden, Reid, Smith, Fox and someone I think has a make or break year in Mike McCarthy are currently some of the better ones IMO(although I think Fox and Gruden have some re proving to do so to speak).

As for Coughlin, IMO he is if not the top coach in the conference at the very least top 3. People tend to discount what he did those years in JAX, having good teams relatively early in the expansion process and just being unfortunate that he had to face such great players and coaches as Parcells, Fisher, Elway, Shanahan etc. I think there is no doubt anymore what a terrific coach the Giants do have and probably the best since Parcells. Certainly the best in the NFC east no arguement.

I'm a big fan of John Fox but his team has been dormant the last two years. I still think the Panthers are poised for a big year this year. Two years without a playoff berth is long enough IMO.

If Reid ever won the big game he'd be a front runner because he was just magnificent with the Eagles for practically a decade.