SportsWrath

Things That Helped The Giants Win The Superbowl That We Hadn't Seen In Past Years...

So I'm 22 and have been the most diehard Giants fan since I watched the superbowl with my dad when I was 5 (no joke) - I have the journals from kindergarden and every writing assignment/pictures the teachers had us do had to relate in some way to football or the Giants. So, if you have been following the Giants for a number of years you have noticed a few things: 1. They rarely win the close games 2. They have blown some big leads 3. They rarely catch the "breaks" in games 4. Injuries have killed them.

Well, this year they stayed fairly healthy, won a ton of close games that could have changed their season, made big plays at big times (goal line stand against washington, killing Detroit's drive at the end of the game, coming back in Buffalo and Chicago, barely holding on in a close game vs. Philly despite a 12 sack performance, etc... ).

Now to the "breaks" that we had that Giants fans have been used to opponents of their getting rather than them.

1. The recovered fumble on the punt return in Green Bay

2. Overcoming 2 missed field goals to beat Green Bay in overtime

3. Steve Smith straddeling the sidelines for a first down on 3rd and 11 on the game winning superbowl drive

4. Tyree's miracle catch

5. Plax, Osi, Jacobs and Eli not missing significant time when it looked as though all could have

I mean is it just me or did certain events "bounce the Giants way" when it seemed as though we would never have that luck. I mean we made the most big plays at the most significant times in a season that I can remember as a Giants fan. It just feels good to not have to go through Feely type meltdowns (4 missed fieldgoals?? against Seattle, Vince Young and Jeff Garcia type comebacks, etc.. ). What a year!

A lot of things definitely went our way this time around... I don't think I'm the only that when Tynes missed that field goal against GB.. i thought.. oh no.. Seattle all over again.

It's true that a lot of bounces went our way this time around.. but it was long overdue. I mean Plax playing like he's supposed to? That to me was a big factor.. Our D living up to what's been expected from it all along.. it became clear that our previous DCs were killing talents.. Webster comes to mind.

And don't forget that 4th down conversion by Jacobs during the last drive.. before that miracle catch.

I can never forget my reaction when we won the SB. It was contrary to any would've imagined.. I was so stunned.. and so emotionally drained that I didn't jump up and down.. I didn't scream in celebration.. it was that of silence and disbelief.

Now I hope we continue to break old curses by playing well after winning the SB. And I think we will do that because Defense wins championships. We might've lost Strahan but Tuck is more than ready. Spags will be even better in his 2nd year. I think our D-backfield which has been our weakness was upgraded tremendously in the draft.

We didn't lose anybody on the offense... and if Shockey is to come back, then we can look at him as an addition.. not just because he's coming back but because he has something to prove to his doubters.

Of course we will be the team everyone is gunning for.. but so what.. bring it on.

Before the 'catch' by Tyree...we are forgetting Aasante Samuel near int of Eli. Ball goes right thru Aasante's fingers. If he woulda caught that....oh man! :unsure::mellow:

I haven't.. i watched that SB Replay on Itunes last night..

I haven't.. i watched that SB Replay on Itunes last night..

i bought it but i cant get it on my ipod... pretty pissed about that.

i compared everything to sports when i was little too... ive been going to games since i was 6 years old.

my bread and butter was always saying during games "the giants never get any breaks." now im gonna look like an idiot whenever i do it this year.

i bought it but i cant get it on my ipod... pretty pissed about that.

i compared everything to sports when i was little too... ive been going to games since i was 6 years old.

my bread and butter was always saying during games "the giants never get any breaks." now im gonna look like an idiot whenever i do it this year.

Wide Right!!! :ph34r:

"All that the 49ers need to do is run out the clock.....Roger Craig runs up the middle...FUMBLE!!!! Recovered by the Giants..."

THAT 'break' happened in the playoff game during the SAME season as 'Wide Right'! :rock:

"All that the 49ers need to do is run out the clock.....Roger Craig runs up the middle...FUMBLE!!!! Recovered by the Giants..."

THAT 'break' happened in the playoff game during the SAME season as 'Wide Right'! :rock:

That's the biggest break in Giants history. More than "Wide right". That FG wasn't a 'gimmie'.

Before the 'catch' by Tyree...we are forgetting Aasante Samuel near int of Eli. Ball goes right thru Aasante's fingers. If he woulda caught that....oh man! :unsure::mellow:

I think Rodney Harrison (Or Merriweather)drop another one on that same drive. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

I think Rodney Harrison (Or Merriweather)drop another one on that same drive. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

That 'drive' has to be up there with one of THE best Superbowl drives in Superbowl history. It had luck, perserverance, rookies coming thru, 4th and 1, dropped INTs....

And the Tyree Catch was THE best Superbowl play in history. Eli escaping AND Tyree's catch??!!! Kidding me!!!! :rock:

A lot of things definitely went our way this time around... I don't think I'm the only that when Tynes missed that field goal against GB.. i thought.. oh no.. Seattle all over again.

It's true that a lot of bounces went our way this time around.. but it was long overdue. I mean Plax Eli playing like he's supposed to? That to me was a big factor.. Our D living up to what's been expected from it all along.. it became clear that our previous DCs were killing talents.. Webster comes to mind.

And don't forget that 4th down conversion by Jacobs during the last drive.. before that miracle catch.

I can never forget my reaction when we won the SB. It was contrary to any would've imagined.. I was so stunned.. and so emotionally drained that I didn't jump up and down.. I didn't scream in celebration.. it was that of silence and disbelief.

Now I hope we continue to break old curses by playing well after winning the SB. And I think we will do that because Defense wins championships. We might've lost Strahan but Tuck is more than ready. Spags will be even better in his 2nd year. I think our D-backfield which has been our weakness was upgraded tremendously in the draft.

We didn't lose anybody on the offense... and if Shockey is to come back, then we can look at him as an addition.. not just because he's coming back but because he has something to prove to his doubters.

Of course we will be the team everyone is gunning for.. but so what.. bring it on.

I fixed it for you.

I fixed it for you.

Eli is untouchable in my book. His lackluster play from time to time wasn't due to lack of effort; more like growing pains. I never get down on a guy for making mistakes, I get down on him for no putting his heart into what he does.. for not giving it a 1100%. I dont' think anyone here can say Eli was giving less than 100% on every play.

Plax on the other hand had the talent.. we all knew that... yet for some crazy ass reason, he wasn't living up to that reputation... till this season...

Eli is untouchable in my book. His lackluster play from time to time wasn't due to lack of effort; more like growing pains. I never get down on a guy for making mistakes, I get down on him for no putting his heart into what he does.. for not giving it a 1100%. I dont' think anyone here can say Eli was giving less than 100% on every play.

Plax on the other hand had the talent.. we all knew that... yet for some crazy ass reason, he wasn't living up to that reputation... till this season...

A 4th year quarterback and 3rd year starter shouldn't have games where he throws 4 interceptions and 3 of them go back for touchdowns.

As as for Plax, he gave up on one play in his career against the Titans and ever one is jumping all over him.

Kiwinuka gave up on a play in that game do, was he living up to his reputation.

A 4th year quarterback and 3rd year starter shouldn't have games where he throws 4 interceptions and 3 of them go back for touchdowns.

We all have bad days.

As as for Plax, he gave up on one play in his career against the Titans and ever one is jumping all over him.

Kiwi isn't there bitching about a new contract.

Your forgetting the fact that most 4th year players (3 years as starter) didn't bring their team to three straight playoff appearances (when was the last time the Giants did this?), they don't usually win superbowls, they don't usually have great 4th quarter comebacks, they NEVER beat Brett favre at his house in the playoffs, the don't play flawless postseason games with no interceptions, they don't escape three sacks and save their team in the superbowl, they don't consistently throw for 20 touchdowns a year, etc... . Eli is special - face it haters.

Your forgetting the fact that most 4th year players (3 years as starter) didn't bring their team to three straight playoff appearances (when was the last time the Giants did this?), they don't usually win superbowls, they don't usually have great 4th quarter comebacks, they NEVER beat Brett favre at his house in the playoffs, the don't play flawless postseason games with no interceptions, they don't escape three sacks and save their team in the superbowl, they don't consistently throw for 20 touchdowns a year, etc... . Eli is special - face it haters.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy:

I'm proud to say that I've been on Eli's bandwagon since day one.. and never even thought of jumping off.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy:

I'm proud to say that I've been on Eli's bandwagon since day one.. and never even thought of jumping off.

I hate admitting I was ready to jump off. Midway thru the Bears game, I was ready to leave, and write Eli off as a bust. Even though I kept telling all the Eli haters that he's only in his 3rd year as a starter, I was disgusted by the first 3 qtrs of the Bears game. But when it comes to clutch, thats Eli's middle name. Thats what continued to give me hope.

Uggh! Kiwi heard a whistle and stopped, turned and looked at the Ref. He was avoiding a penalty, not "giving up".

Pat yourself on the back any harder and I'll go search through the post-Minnesota game threads.

Uggh! Kiwi heard a whistle and stopped, turned and looked at the Ref. He was avoiding a penalty, not "giving up".

If Kiwi heard a whistle that means the play is dead, it obviously wasn't dead because then the

Giants win the game. No whistle was on the play.

If Kiwi heard a whistle that means the play is dead, it obviously wasn't dead because then the

I think that's the point... Kiwi heard a whistle.. or thought he heard a whistle.

I know there was no whistle, but Kiwi thought he heard one. He fucked up but he didn't 'quit'.

We all have bad days.

Kiwi isn't there bitching about a new contract.

because kiwi hasn't done anything to deserve one. i guarantee you next or a year later if he explodes he'll be asking for a new deal.