SportsWrath

David Tyree may not make the team this year

BleedinBlue

Tyree's job may be in danger

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

BY VINNY DITRANISTAFF (The Record - north jersey.com)

EAST RUTHERFORD — David Tyree's catch in Super Bowl XLII forever guaranteed him a spot in team lore. But it may not have guaranteed him a spot on the 2008 roster.

Yes, as bizarre as it may appear, the man who arguably made the best play in Super Bowl history could be scuffling to make the team this summer — if his knee allows him to scuffle at all. Imagine the furor if the Giants announce they have cut one of their biggest heroes from their incredible championship run.

Yet when the team took the field for its third Organized Team Activity session Tuesday, a host of young receivers lined up behind veteran Amani Toomer — arguably the best player on the field, making three outstanding catches. Steve Smith, whose late-season contributions were key in the title run; Domenik Hixon, the kick returner whose receiving potential remains untapped; Sinorice Moss, the so-far disappointing second-round pick in 2006; and third-round draft pick Mario Manningham all have legitimate shots at making the team.

Also around are Michael Jennings, who was on his way to making the squad last year before popping an Achilles' tendon in the preseason; D.J. Hall, the free agent who was the star of the rookie minicamp; plus Brandon London and Todd Lowber, members of last season's practice squad. Throw in Plaxico Burress, one of five players not at Tuesday's voluntary workout, and the area is well staffed.

So where does all this leave Tyree, whose 32-yard circus reception on the other end of Eli Manning's great escape will be included in any Super Bowl highlight collection? Right now it leaves him in the trainer's room, where he is rehabbing a knee injury that required surgery in mid-April.

While details of the injury were not released, the six-year veteran said Tuesday that he probably will not be ready for the start of training camp practices on July 25. He said the knee locked up during the early weeks of the off-season workout program, which could indicate a meniscus problem.

"I'm not really concerned, it's not that big a deal to me," he said.

However, the injury could be the Giants' way out of a potential public relations mess. A spot on the Physically Unable to Perform list would allow them to keep Tyree around, and even provide a midseason window to activate him if they need his services. It's far better than a "What have you done for me lately?" release.

Tyree, however, said he is not worried about his roster spot. "You look at this game for what it is," he said. "They are going to make decisions based upon what they think is best for the football team. Whether I'm on the roster or off the roster, the fifth receiver or the third receiver, they are going to make decisions in the best interest of the football team.

"My job is to go out there and make the plays when I'm given the opportunity. And if you look back at what I've done when I was given the opportunity, I showed up. I can't do any more than that. I have no reason to worry. I've been blessed with the ability to prove myself when given the opportunity."

Tyree has a big fan in coach Tom Coughlin, who loves his work ethic and attention to detail. He also has shown, especially in the Super Bowl, that he has good hands — and helmet. And while not the scourge he was in making the team as a sixth-round pick in 2003, he adds stability and leadership to all the special teams' units.

"I think I've always been an asset to this organization and I love being a Giant, that's what it's all about," he said.

BRIEFS: The others who did not participate Tuesday, none of them surprises, were TE Jeremy Shockey, DEs Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora and LB Antonio Pierce. ... The team has two more OTAs this week and a final one Monday leading into the June 11-13 mandatory minicamp.

Only briefly do they mention what he really brings to the team, special teams play. Tyree is a special teams guy who happens to be a WR instead of a LB or DB.

Very true! He's the best "gunner" in the league. I have to believe there is no way the Giants are going to let him go. My bet is, he'll be put on the "Physically Unable to Perform" list to protect him while giving the youngsters a shot at proving themselves as an adequate reciever. Of course, WR's are notorious for injuries and the staff is usually only half strength by midseason, so Tyree would be brought back.

I really like Tyree......long before he was a SB star. He's a Syracuse boy and I always root for Syracuse boys....well, except McNabb, only because he's an eagle. Anyway, I guess time will tell what happens with Dave.

Very true! He's the best "gunner" in the league. I have to believe there is no way the Giants are going to let him go. My bet is, he'll be put on the "Physically Unable to Perform" list to protect him while giving the youngsters a shot at proving themselves as an adequate reciever. Of course, WR's are notorious for injuries and the staff is usually only half strength by midseason, so Tyree would be brought back.

I really like Tyree......long before he was a SB star. He's a Syracuse boy and I always root for Syracuse boys....well, except McNabb, only because he's an eagle. Anyway, I guess time will tell what happens with Dave.

I disagree with the best "gunner" in the league label you're giving him Bleedin. He's a couple of years removed from his pro bowl appearance, but the last few years he hasn't been at his best on ST and believe it or not that's what his contract was based on. It could be said that he's not even the best on the team right now at ST. And before you say, "well he gets double teamed on coverage", I agree, he does. But the best Gunners in the league can break that down. Hell Reyna Thompson was a demon on ST for years and made a couple of pro bowls, and everybody knew what he could do yet they couldn't stop him.

To me, Tyree's best chance to stay on the team is to be the safeguard wide receiver that every team needs, and I think in this case he will.

Remember that season where he either scooped punts out of the endzone or grounded them at the one nearly every game? I think it was two years ago but I'm not sure. How the fuck could this knucklehead 'writer' not even mention his ST role while pondering his value? Fail.

I would rather cut Moss than lose Tyree.
Everyone else on this board knows that you are a knowledgeable Giants fan and that you post excellent comments about them. That is why I was surprised to see that you made a significant error in this post. You should have said " I would rather cut the runt Moss the Loss than lose Tyree".

Everyone else on this board knows that you are a knowledgeable Giants fan and that you post excellent comments about them. That is why I was surprised to see that you made a significant error in this post. You should have said " I would rather cut the runt Moss the Loss than lose Tyree".

I am the same guy who doesn't think you are anything more than a 14 year old kid remember?

Then again senility is a clue towards your reputed elderly age....

Only briefly do they mention what he really brings to the team, special teams play. Tyree is a special teams guy who happens to be a WR instead of a LB or DB.

True....I'll grant that Tyree won't unseat Toomer, Smith, Burress, or Manningham but I can't see Hixon, Moss, Jennings, D.J. Hall, London and Lowber all leapfrogging a very solid special teamer who is now also a Super Bowl Hero.

Remember that season where he either scooped punts out of the endzone or grounded them at the one nearly every game? I think it was two years ago but I'm not sure. How the fuck could this knucklehead 'writer' not even mention his ST role while pondering his value? Fail.

I agree, this article is totally retarded. There's no way in hell the Giants cut him. He doesn't have to be on the depth chart at WR, just be listed on the roster as a WR. He's very obviously a special teams player and anyone who actually watches the giants knows that.

Then, if you take into account what he CAN actually do at WR, especially during big games, he's a total lock for a roster spot. The guy had nothing else to write about.

Yeah, Tyree isn't going anywhere. He's a true gamer and has done enough for the Giants on Special Teams and even when they have given him the chance at WR, to keep his spot on the roster ahead of players that are unproven commodities.

I see the 2008 WR corps being:

Burress

Toomer

Smith

Manningham

Tyree

DJ Hall*

This is where the battle will be. And it will be primarily between DJ Hall, Domenik Hixon, and Sinorice Moss. I see the Giants carrying 6 WRs this year just as they did last season. I'm giving DJ Hall the nod here, because I think he has the highest ceiling. But it will be tough for the Giants, because Hixon is a good kick returner and that is valuable trait from your last WR, and the front office loves Sinorice, apparently. Either way, I think this is an exciting bunch of receivers we will be fielding.

Hall will be on the team in some way shape or form, and he is a future starter for this team at WR. Maybe not a 1 or 2 WR, but he'll be getting significant PT as a WR for us in the years to come.

he was an LSU guy right? what do you think of him?

he was an LSU guy right? what do you think of him?

Nah he's a Bama guy. I think he'll fit in nice. Almost 6'2" tall, thats a nice considering Moss is 5'8", Smith is 5'11" and Manningham is an even 6'. Especially when Toomer retires.

He's got decent speed but he's good route runner, and has played against top notch defenses and proven his worth. I think of him as a taller Smith.

Nah he's a Bama guy. I think he'll fit in nice. Almost 6'2" tall, thats a nice considering Moss is 5'8", Smith is 5'11" and Manningham is an even 6'. Especially when Toomer retires.

He's got decent speed but he's good route runner, and has played against top notch defenses and proven his worth. I think of him as a taller Smith.

I agree. I'm really high on DJ Hall. Apart from Toomer, he's the only WR who has consistently "wowed" the coaches at practice. Nary a word from the coaches on Manningham, Moss, or the others.

I think they'll find a way to keep Hall somehow. WR's are always the first to go down with an injury and even though the team only carries six WR's, they need reserves for when someone tears up a knee or breaks a leg or pulls a hammy. My bet is....that Tyree will be put on the "Physically Unable to Perform" list for the first few games and by then, at least one WR will be on the injured list.

If the team has to choose between Moss, Hall, and Hixon.....it will be a very difficult choice for them to make. I think Moss has got to step up big time and show major flashes of greatness to stay on the team. If the coaches aren't going "wow" once in awhile with him, I think he's toast.

But what a great position to be in....ie, too many quality WR's. The fact that the Giants ended up getting both Manningham and DJ Hall this year is absolutely incredible IMHO.

I agree. I'm really high on DJ Hall. Apart from Toomer, he's the only WR who has consistently "wowed" the coaches at practice. Nary a word from the coaches on Manningham, Moss, or the others.

I think they'll find a way to keep Hall somehow. WR's are always the first to go down with an injury and even though the team only carries six WR's, they need reserves for when someone tears up a knee or breaks a leg or pulls a hammy. My bet is....that Tyree will be put on the "Physically Unable to Perform" list for the first few games and by then, at least one WR will be on the injured list.

If the team has to choose between Moss, Hall, and Hixon.....it will be a very difficult choice for them to make. I think Moss has got to step up big time and show major flashes of greatness to stay on the team. If the coaches aren't going "wow" once in awhile with him, I think he's toast.

But what a great position to be in....ie, too many quality WR's. The fact that the Giants ended up getting both Manningham and DJ Hall this year is absolutely incredible IMHO.

I agree, I'm still stunned how receivers fell this year. I was thinking Hall was gonna be a 3rd or 4th round guy.

I agree, I'm still stunned how receivers fell this year. I was thinking Hall was gonna be a 3rd or 4th round guy.

I love his attitude. He told the coaches he wants to be a Giant so badly that he's willing to take any position even it's the equipment manager or even their waterboy if that's what it takes to be part of this team.

Plus, he's signed for minimum salary, unlike the millions made by those he is competing against, like Moss.

I love his attitude. He told the coaches he wants to be a Giant so badly that he's willing to take any position even it's the equipment manager or even their waterboy if that's what it takes to be part of this team.

Being Super Bowl champs kind of does that for a team. Where did you read that about his die-hard desire to wear blue?

Being Super Bowl champs kind of does that for a team. Where did you read that about his die-hard desire to wear blue?

Can't remember. I open up 7 sites every morning (and sometimes later in the day) that deal with just Giants notes (ultimatenyg; Giants 101 MVN; True Blue; Team Giants - Mikefan and gamegirl; Yardbarker - Giants blog; Big Blue Interactive; etc.). Then I usually peruse the newspapers online....ie., NYDailyNews, NYPost, NorthJersey.com, Star-Ledger, etc. Then I check out kffl.com notes as well as PFT (pro football talk) and PSD (pro sports daily)

I'm a Giants news junkie and always looking for any news about the team. About the only site I don't check on a regular basis is the old Giants board.